Parents of Teens!~

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
UNITE!

I noticed that a lot of you on here are parents to teens.

My daughter is 13, and most of the time she's a good kid, but.............

This is the talk/complain/cry about your teenager thread.

Does your teen think they know everything too? :eusa_whistle:

UNITE!

I teach 13 year olds, trust me, they think you know more than them, they just won't admit it! LOL! Of course they do believe you are totally clueless regarding music, films, reading materials, and sex.

I believe that the mass media unjustly misrepresents youth in a biased and slanderous manner that influences many societal stereotypes of them.

Carry on. ;)

Puberty hits 'em hard.

It rattles their world because they don't quite fit in the child world, and yet aren't ready for prime time play.

Of course they're nuts.

We all were.

Puberty hits 'em hard.

It rattles their world because they don't quite fit in the child world, and yet aren't ready for prime time play.

Of course they're nuts.

We all were.

Maybe this can be a thread about the artificial extension of childhood through the establishment of adolescence. Why do you feel that it is justified?

but then you have no experience as a parent and a a sexual agenda
carry on

False.

And you do realize that saying "a a sexual agenda" makes precisely the opposite of the point you were trying to make, don't you?

UNITE!

Well duh, EZ, didn't you at that age?

Though seriously, even though my mother once cursed me by wishing I had kids exactly like me, mine have been relatively rational.

Kids today are being raised today, not in an earlier time, for better or worse. I'm over 50 and see little difference between where they are a early teens and where my cohort was in the 60's, 70's. Actually they seem less sexualized than we were. Seriously and that is from a Catholic school perspective.

Well duh, EZ, didn't you at that age?

Though seriously, even though my mother once cursed me by wishing I had kids exactly like me, mine have been relatively rational.

Yeah, seriously she's a good egg......an only child too, it's just us most of the time, so we are pretty close. But............she has her moments. We have long "talks" and that's cool, she trusts me (so far!)

Like Annie said, she thinks a lot of my music is crap (mostly the acoustic stuff I like) but we do bond over Zeppelin, The Ramons, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, etc.......

She's taller than me though.....5'11" to my 5'10"............

Yeah, seriously she's a good egg......an only child too, it's just us most of the time, so we are pretty close. But............she has her moments. We have long "talks" and that's cool, she trusts me (so far!)

Like Annie said, she thinks a lot of my music is crap (mostly the acoustic stuff I like) but we do bond over Zeppelin, The Ramons, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, etc.......

She's taller than me though.....5'11" to my 5'10"............

All will be fine, you sound like a great parent. Albeit you are both too tall, says the one trying for 5'2".

All will be fine, you sound like a great parent. Albeit you are both too tall, says the one trying for 5'2".

lol, my 2 best friends are 5 feet-ish....everyone in my family is tall, my brother and sister's kids are tall,,,,my fiancee and his son are tall...but shorter girls make the best friends! :)

I believe that the mass media unjustly misrepresents youth in a biased and slanderous manner that influences many societal stereotypes of them.

Carry on. ;)

Actually, this is possibly true. The study which proves this possibility I cannot recall the name of but it proves that if a person is called one thing over and over again they will believe it so much that it will sculpt their persona to match that.

Maybe this can be a thread about the artificial extension of childhood through the establishment of adolescence. Why do you feel that it is justified?

False.

And you do realize that saying "a a sexual agenda" makes precisely the opposite of the point you were trying to make, don't you?

yikes!! funny take eots missed that.

Actually they seem less sexualized than we were. Seriously and that is from a Catholic school perspective.

I notice that too. Whatever is going on with teens today, I think they are having in general a more positive experience than previous generations.

Actually, this is possibly true. The study which proves this possibility I cannot recall the name of but it proves that if a person is called one thing over and over again they will believe it so much that it will sculpt their persona to match that.

You may want to have a look at this.

This sociologist analyzes media reports on youth, as well as general myths promoted about them in wider society, and does indeed find the majority of them to be biased and discriminatory.

For instance, you may recall the sensationalized reports of the teenage "pregnancy pact" in Gloucester, Massachussetts, which was uncritically accepted by the media as fact, despite the fact that it was the testimony of one person with a faulty memory. Addressed here.

Or you may have heard the "terrifying" stories of a national epidemic of teenage psychopaths attacking homeless men. Not quite. Addressed here.

Better yet, we cannot escape the panicked reports of sky high rates of teenage "dating violence." Too bad it's not true.

All evidence that, in so many ways, the mass media doesn't attempt to disseminate news so much as it attempts to spread false myths and distortions regarding certain topics, (bias against youth being one of them), so long as it benefits them through higher ratings, and thus a higher rate of advertising.

I rarely trust media with facts, I know all they want are ratings anyway so they will do whatever possible to get them. Like all corporations, they have to make a profit. We just need more people to stop using media for fact and start reading more.

Forum List

Back