Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness

Like they really needed to do a study to find out that kids can drive you crazy? :lol:
Yeah, I think most people know that too.

However, for those anti-choicers whose unsubstantiated claim that women who have abortions suffer more psychological damage than women who give birth so therefore choice should be abolished, this study exposes the myth.

Here's a news flash: having an abortion is emotionally, physically, and psychologically difficult. So's having a baby. Abortion adds in the guilt of knowing you've also destroyed a human life; giving birth doesn't. Don't know what part of that is hard to understand.
"News flash" ?

Let's see the scientific proof to back up your claim.

"The New England Journal of Medicine has taken on one of the pillar arguments in the abortion debate, asking whether having the procedure increases a woman’s risk of mental-health problems and concluding that it doesn’t. In fact, researchers found, having a baby brings a far higher risk.
The study, by Danish scientists (and financed in part by the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, which supports research on abortion rights), is the most extensive of its kind to date. It studied 365,550 Danish women who had an abortion or gave birth for the first time between 1995 and 2007. Of those, 84,620 terminated their pregnancies and 280,930 gave birth.
In the year after an abortion, 15.2 out of 1,000 sought psychiatric help (defined as admission to a hospital or clinic), which was essentially the same as the rate of that group (14.6 per 1,000) in the nine months before the abortion. In contrast, among women who went on to give birth, the rate at which they sought treatment increased to 6.7 per 1,000 after delivery from 3.9 per 1,000 before. "
read the full article at Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness - NYTimes.com

these numbers seem to confirm that abortion makes you nuts.

Yes, those that gave birth had an increase over a year, but it was not as high as those that had abortions.

Seems this confirmation that abortion does mental harm to the woulda been mother.

Insanity for parents doesn't fully set in until they have teens. Post partum depression is nothing to supressing the urge to abort is sixteen y/o that just rolled it's eyes at you.

As if ithis wasn't already common knowledge despite the lies the forced birthers keep spewing.

So long as the birthers are all talk, they dont have legs as far as i am concerned. If they dont have 6 adopted babies that THEY are paying for, then the birthers need to shut the fuck up.

This is the dumbest fucking argument on the planet.

Ever hear of personnal responsibility?

no?

That must be why you demand others be responible for someone else.

Like they really needed to do a study to find out that kids can drive you crazy? :lol:

However, for those anti-choicers whose unsubstantiated claim that women who have abortions suffer more psychological damage than women who give birth so therefore choice should be abolished, this study exposes the myth.

Your own link proved them right

"The New England Journal of Medicine has taken on one of the pillar arguments in the abortion debate, asking whether having the procedure increases a woman’s risk of mental-health problems and concluding that it doesn’t. In fact, researchers found, having a baby brings a far higher risk.
The study, by Danish scientists (and financed in part by the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, which supports research on abortion rights), is the most extensive of its kind to date. It studied 365,550 Danish women who had an abortion or gave birth for the first time between 1995 and 2007. Of those, 84,620 terminated their pregnancies and 280,930 gave birth.
In the year after an abortion, 15.2 out of 1,000 sought psychiatric help (defined as admission to a hospital or clinic), which was essentially the same as the rate of that group (14.6 per 1,000) in the nine months before the abortion. In contrast, among women who went on to give birth, the rate at which they sought treatment increased to 6.7 per 1,000 after delivery from 3.9 per 1,000 before. "
read the full article at Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness - NYTimes.com

Yes, those that gave birth had an increase over a year, but it was not as high as those that had abortions.

Seems this confirmation that abortion does mental harm to the woulda been mother.

Insanity for parents doesn't fully set in until they have teens. Post partum depression is nothing to supressing the urge to abort is sixteen y/o that just rolled it's eyes at you.
Mind saying that in English, please?

Here's a news flash: having an abortion is emotionally, physically, and psychologically difficult. So's having a baby. Abortion adds in the guilt of knowing you've also destroyed a human life; giving birth doesn't. Don't know what part of that is hard to understand.
"News flash" ?

I need 'scientific proof' to back up what I've posted? How's that? Abortion is hard on a woman? Yes, it is. Giving birth is hard on a woman? Yes, it is. Abortion destroys a human life? Yes, it does. Giving birth destroys a human life? No, it doesn't. Again, don't know what part of any of that is hard to understand.

"News flash" ?

I need 'scientific proof' to back up what I've posted? How's that? Abortion is hard on a woman? Yes, it is. Giving birth is hard on a woman? Yes, it is. Abortion destroys a human life? Yes, it does. Giving birth destroys a human life? No, it doesn't. Again, don't know what part of any of that is hard to understand.
Your opinion is your opinion, nothing more.
Too bad you have nothing to base it on.

From the NYT

Why do first-time mothers have a lower overall rate of mental illness both before and after pregnancy than those who choose termination? The researchers suggest that those who have abortions are more likely to have emotional problems in the first place. Compared with the group who give birth, those who have abortions are also statistically more likely to be struggling economically, and to have a higher rate of unintended pregnancies.

IN other words; We didn't like the answers when we studied that VAST difference so we are not going to tell the truth.

OR

We don't care why, we didn't want to do all that science, cuz we had the numbers we wanted to twist already.

You're a fool to buy into this.

"News flash" ?

Your own link proves abortion causes higher rates of mental stress

Mind saying that in English, please?

Sure, I will try again.

15.2 out of 1000

Is higher than

6.7 out of 1000

This isn't math, this is counting. The NYT posted a lie by this "researcher". A moment of thinking will tell you that abortion causes more stress from beginning to end than giving birth does. They are hanging thier hats on a .39% increase.

It proves the pro-lifers right, weather you like it or not.

"News flash" ?

I've held the hand of a friend who had two abortions. The emotional, physical and psychological effects were plain to see.

I've given birth to three kids. The emotional, physical and psychological effects were plain to see.

Abortion destroys human life.

Giving birth does not destroy human life.

What part of any of this are you having trouble understanding?

As if ithis wasn't already common knowledge despite the lies the forced birthers keep spewing.

So long as the birthers are all talk, they dont have legs as far as i am concerned. If they dont have 6 adopted babies that THEY are paying for, then the birthers need to shut the fuck up.

no?

Well from my experience as soon as you ask an anti abortion person if they are willing to adopt any would be aborted children they quickly shut the fuck up or change the subject and say its not their responsibility, the cold hard truth is the anti abortion crowd cares very little for unwanted children especially after they are born.

no?

Well from my experience as soon as you ask an anti abortion person if they are willing to adopt any would be aborted children they quickly shut the fuck up or change the subject and say its not their responsibility, the cold hard truth is the anti abortion crowd cares very little for unwanted children especially after they are born.

That's b/c it's a cop-out demand.

You demand that I take care of your kid? Why? Why should anyone else pay to care for a child not their own?

It is personnal responsibility. If you're goonna do the deed, you better be ready to pay the piper, if not, keep it zipped up.

and if we didn't care about kids there wouldn't be adoptions. that last line is just silly.

but back to the main topic

read the link, it proves birth causes less, much less, mental problems than abortion.

The NYT twists what the facts mean by using word spin.

Just look at the numbers alone.

no?

You demand that I take care of your kid? Why? Why should anyone else pay to care for a child not their own?

It is personnal responsibility. If you're goonna do the deed, you better be ready to pay the piper, if not, keep it zipped up.

and if we didn't care about kids there wouldn't be adoptions. that last line is just silly.

read the link, it proves birth causes less, much less, mental problems than abortion.

Well from my experience the anti abortion crowd do very little adoptions, they are against abortions but care very little about the children once they are born, I'm not talking about you personally but other morons who know who they are on this board.

Well from my experience the anti abortion crowd do very little adoptions, they are against abortions but care very little about the children once they are born, I'm not talking about you personally but other morons who know who they are on this board.

The jackasses in a crowd always stand out, and stick in our memories.

It's how things are remembered. The more emotion, and dealing with jackasses is emotional, the stronger your memory.

I can't recall most of my Navy service, but I can give you vast details of bootcamp.

you served, you know what I mean.

The jackasses in a crowd always stand out, and stick in our memories.

It's how things are remembered. The more emotion, and dealing with jackasses is emotional, the stronger your memory.

I can't recall most of my Navy service, but I can give you vast details of bootcamp.

you served, you know what I mean.

LOL good point!

no?

First off this is not an abortion thread...

It is not a cop out demand. Its a question. The pro live mantra is..don't abort put it up for adoption. If you are pro live then walk the walk and adopt some of those black crack babies.

Problem solved. The mothers who dont want babies doen't have to have them, and the pro life people are happy with their new adopted baby. Every one is happy and no one is crazy

how about that?

First off this is not an abortion thread...

It is not a cop out demand. Its a question. The pro live mantra is..don't abort put it up for adoption. If you are pro live then walk the walk and adopt some of those black crack babies.

Problem solved. The mothers who dont want babies doen't have to have them, and the pro life people are happy with their new adopted baby. Every one is happy and no one is crazy

how about that?

If those crazy anti abortion nuts had to personally care for 4 or 5 black babies from Detroit or St Louis, they would personally drive the woman to the abortion clinic themselves and wait to make sure the abortion went through. Nobody really cares about these kids.

Forum List

Back