Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
"The New England Journal of Medicine has taken on one of the pillar arguments in the abortion debate, asking whether having the procedure increases a woman’s risk of mental-health problems and concluding that it doesn’t. In fact, researchers found, having a baby brings a far higher risk.
The study, by Danish scientists (and financed in part by the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, which supports research on abortion rights), is the most extensive of its kind to date. It studied 365,550 Danish women who had an abortion or gave birth for the first time between 1995 and 2007. Of those, 84,620 terminated their pregnancies and 280,930 gave birth.
In the year after an abortion, 15.2 out of 1,000 sought psychiatric help (defined as admission to a hospital or clinic), which was essentially the same as the rate of that group (14.6 per 1,000) in the nine months before the abortion. In contrast, among women who went on to give birth, the rate at which they sought treatment increased to 6.7 per 1,000 after delivery from 3.9 per 1,000 before. "

read the full article at Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness - NYTimes.com

As if ithis wasn't already common knowledge despite the lies the forced birthers keep spewing.

As if ithis wasn't already common knowledge despite the lies the forced birthers keep spewing.

So long as the birthers are all talk, they dont have legs as far as i am concerned. If they dont have 6 adopted babies that THEY are paying for, then the birthers need to shut the fuck up.

So long as the birthers are all talk, they dont have legs as far as i am concerned. If they dont have 6 adopted babies that THEY are paying for, then the birthers need to shut the fuck up.
I wonder if being a birther is a symtom of mental illness?

Like they really needed to do a study to find out that kids can drive you crazy? :lol:
Yeah, I think most people know that too.

However, for those anti-choicers whose unsubstantiated claim that women who have abortions suffer more psychological damage than women who give birth so therefore choice should be abolished, this study exposes the myth.

this is interesting

Why do first-time mothers have a lower overall rate of mental illness both before and after pregnancy than those who choose termination? The researchers suggest that those who have abortions are more likely to have emotional problems in the first place.

Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness - NYTimes.com
So is this quote which follows yours :
"Compared with the group who give birth, those who have abortions are also statistically more likely to be struggling economically, and to have a higher rate of unintended pregnancies.
And why do first-time mothers seem to nearly double their risk in the year after giving birth? That is likely to have something to do with the hormonal changes, decreased sleep and increased stress of parenting, which women who terminate do not experience."

"

I don't doubt it. Raising children isn't easy and is very stressful. It requires scarifices, both mentally physicallt and financially. Raising multiple kids multiples these requirements and effects.

Married couples without kids can save more, have a ton more free time and can definitely do a lot of things they otherwise couldn't (such much more expensive trips or buy more expensive cars).

HOWEVER, kids bring a lot of happiness that people without kids don't realize. Seeing your kids walk, talk or go potty for the first time makes you extremely happy. Watching my son play hockey and my middle daughter dance and figure skate does it for me.

The stress and financial burden that is avoided by couples with no kids is saved when these couples are young, but I guarante, for most, the mental savings comes back to haunt them when they get older. Eventually their parents die off, friends move on and non-immediate family becomes less close. Holidays don't become a sad not joyful time. They become envious of their siblings that have kids. They they truly feel lonely when their spouse dies and their is no one to take care of them.

Having kids is tough and expensive. No one said it was easy! I don't drive as nice of a car as I want to. I don't get to spend money on me like I want to, but playing with my kids, taking them to disney world, taking the to Hawks and Bears game and teaching them more than makes up for it!

My 2 cents!

I don't doubt it. Raising children isn't easy and is very stressful. It requires scarifices, both mentally physicallt and financially. Raising multiple kids multiples these requirements and effects.

Married couples without kids can save more, have a ton more free time and can definitely do a lot of things they otherwise couldn't (such much more expensive trips or buy more expensive cars).

HOWEVER, kids bring a lot of happiness that people without kids don't realize. Seeing your kids walk, talk or go potty for the first time makes you extremely happy. Watching my son play hockey and my middle daughter dance and figure skate does it for me.

The stress and financial burden that is avoided by couples with no kids is saved when these couples are young, but I guarante, for most, the mental savings comes back to haunt them when they get older. Eventually their parents die off, friends move on and non-immediate family becomes less close. Holidays don't become a sad not joyful time. They become envious of their siblings that have kids. They they truly feel lonely when their spouse dies and their is no one to take care of them.

Having kids is tough and expensive. No one said it was easy! I don't drive as nice of a car as I want to. I don't get to spend money on me like I want to, but playing with my kids, taking them to disney world, taking the to Hawks and Bears game and teaching them more than makes up for it!

My 2 cents!
You can guarantee that? Do you have any proof to back it up?
It would be interesting to see the results of a study comparing the health risks for women, both physical and psychological, of bearing children, having abortions and having neither of the two.

this is interesting

Why do first-time mothers have a lower overall rate of mental illness both before and after pregnancy than those who choose termination? The researchers suggest that those who have abortions are more likely to have emotional problems in the first place.

Parenthood, Not Abortion, Linked to Mental Illness - NYTimes.com
So is this quote which follows yours :
"Compared with the group who give birth, those who have abortions are also statistically more likely to be struggling economically, and to have a higher rate of unintended pregnancies.
And why do first-time mothers seem to nearly double their risk in the year after giving birth? That is likely to have something to do with the hormonal changes, decreased sleep and increased stress of parenting, which women who terminate do not experience."

"

Don't get me wrong I pro-choice. I think its the lesser of two evils.

My 2 cents!
You can guarantee that? Do you have any proof to back it up?
It would be interesting to see the results of a study comparing the health risks for women, both physical and psychological, of bearing children, having abortions and having neither of the two.

LOL guarantees over the internet are worth as much as a guaranteed from a 3rd world drug dealer not much.

I should have stated "in my opinion." It's from my personal observations of seeing older cousins, friends of my parents and older people when I went to visit my grandfather at the nursing home. It's just the impression I get, but of course I could be wrong. I have been wrong on a few case in the past! :lol:

I have given up a lot to have my kids. I have to wait a little longer to get the full loaded BMW, haven't gotten that fitted suit yet, I travel to disney over Europe or Israel etc. But I won't change it for anything.

BUT, then again when I had kids I was married, owned a house, had a career job and the kids were planned (well the third one is what I call a surprise). I was not unmarried, my wife and I weren't teenagers, we weren't living in poverty, we weren't strangers on a one night stand etc.

Like they really needed to do a study to find out that kids can drive you crazy? :lol:
Yeah, I think most people know that too.

However, for those anti-choicers whose unsubstantiated claim that women who have abortions suffer more psychological damage than women who give birth so therefore choice should be abolished, this study exposes the myth.

Here's a news flash: having an abortion is emotionally, physically, and psychologically difficult. So's having a baby. Abortion adds in the guilt of knowing you've also destroyed a human life; giving birth doesn't. Don't know what part of that is hard to understand.

Forum List

Back