Pandemic In the Making?

No ... you'd do best to just eat healthy, and when you do get sick let it run it's course. Then the next time you encounter it you won't have to worry ...
That isn't true because viruses continually mutate, so having the flu once doesn't protect you from the next mutated strain.

But this may be why it kills otherwise healthy people instead of the young or the old...because healthy people think they can just fight it off on their own.

You missed the whole exercise part didn't you? You're immune system is like a smart computer, when it fights off one version the next mutation is easier to fight off as well. There are many other factors as well, but exposing your immune system to small amounts of different viruses will improve it.
Sorry, Kitten, you are just misinformed. A healthy immune system is usually important for fighting off many, many things, but sometimes it is actually detrimental. So your advice to eat right is silly...if you get the swine flu, you're going to need medication from your doctor.
When a new virus emerges, deaths may occur in healthy adults who mount the strongest immune reactions. Their own defenses — inflammation and leaking fluid in lung cells — can essentially drown them from inside.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/health/27questions.html?_r=1

Before you get too worried, remember this is the same thing they said about SARS.

I think the media likes to get anything like this and blow it up.

Swine flu from what I have read is no more deadly than any other real flu which we experience every year and which kills mostly the young and elderly.

Wash your hands and don't kiss a pig.

That isn't true because viruses continually mutate, so having the flu once doesn't protect you from the next mutated strain.

But this may be why it kills otherwise healthy people instead of the young or the old...because healthy people think they can just fight it off on their own.

You missed the whole exercise part didn't you? You're immune system is like a smart computer, when it fights off one version the next mutation is easier to fight off as well. There are many other factors as well, but exposing your immune system to small amounts of different viruses will improve it.
Sorry, Kitten, you are just misinformed. A healthy immune system is usually important for fighting off many, many things, but sometimes it is actually detrimental. So your advice to eat right is silly...if you get the swine flu, you're going to need medication from your doctor.
When a new virus emerges, deaths may occur in healthy adults who mount the strongest immune reactions. Their own defenses — inflammation and leaking fluid in lung cells — can essentially drown them from inside.

LOL ... perhaps you have been swallowing fear too long to realize when you are just being conned with it. But meh ... when a really big virus does finally hit, I'll more likely survive it than most people, so it doesn't bother me if you remain scared.

LOL ... perhaps you have been swallowing fear too long to realize when you are just being conned with it. But meh ... when a really big virus does finally hit, I'll more likely survive it than most people, so it doesn't bother me if you remain scared.
I'm not scared, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your reasoning. If you get the swine flu and refuse medical attention I'll just put it down to evolution in action. :lol:

I also heard that it is airborne if you are close enough to someone who is coughing and sneezing.

The symptoms are not intestinal rather respitory.

Wash hands, stay a comfortable distance from other people, I wish everyone would start wearing masks for awhile until we find some vaccine for it. My immune system is good but everytime we find something like this going around, I fear for family members who seem to catch every flu and cold out there..

I'm not scared, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your reasoning. If you get the swine flu and refuse medical attention I'll just put it down to evolution in action. :lol:

Really ... and why would I? Why would I even be at high risk? Thing is, I have encountered almost everything nature can throw at me, still here, when I get a normal flu I barely notice, colds ... blech, I only know I have one the first few hours of the morning. Get sick often enough and your body learns to fight off almost anything, don't get sick often enough and you die when some flu comes to town.

I also heard that it is airborne if you are close enough to someone who is coughing and sneezing.

Wash hands, stay a comfortable distance from other people, I wish everyone would start wearing masks for awhile until we find some vaccine for it. My immune system is good but everytime we find something like this going around, I fear for family members who seem to catch every flu and cold out there..

Ever notice we get at least one "big scary virus" every six months, and almost all false alarms, they never go anywhere ... it's because they are scares and nothing more ... used to promote something.

Ever notice we get at least one "big scary virus" every six months, and almost all false alarms, they never go anywhere ... it's because they are scares and nothing more ... used to promote something.

Even if you think that, Kit. Please take extra good care of yourself for the next month or so. Promise?

Even if you think that, Kit. Please take extra good care of yourself for the next month or so. Promise?

Show where I am wrong, show me one single "scare" like this since modern medicine which has actually directly resulted in deaths ... just one where the virus they advertised fear for killed one person.

I think KK's idea is correct, most of the time. People run for antibiotics and such, rather than giving their immune systems a chance to fight things off. A temperature is the body's way of fighting the invaders. However, no matter how 'strong' your immune system, when something invades that you have no immunity to, that is known to kill, well time to take tamiflu if you've been ill more than 2-3 days.

Oh, and to add salt in the wound, they just announced it's *gasp* having an impact on stocks! Go figure, that pharmaceutical stocks always mysteriously jump when there is such a scare ... wonder who's coating the CDC's pockets ...

Oh, and to add salt in the wound, they just announced it's *gasp* having an impact on stocks! Go figure, that pharmaceutical stocks always mysteriously jump when there is such a scare ... wonder who's coating the CDC's pockets ...

I don't know about 'coating' pockets but they media shouldn't tell us when a bug like this is going around. It gives people too much time to take caution. I'm also against hurricane and tornado warnings.

I don't know about 'coating' pockets but they media shouldn't tell us when a bug like this is going around. It gives people too much time to take caution. I'm also against hurricane and tornado warnings.

Sure, I like surprises. :cuckoo:

It's another plot by the government, but don't worry, if you don't have your digital decoder you'll never know.

No ... you'd do best to just eat healthy, and when you do get sick let it run it's course. Then the next time you encounter it you won't have to worry ...

I agree that good nutrition is preventative medicine but I wonder, does smoking also help the immune system? :tongue:

I just told my husband that the "news media" are working overtime to create panic..idiots.. all you gotta do is wash de hands, stay out of crowds and eat well sleep well and stay on the computer all day! You'll be fine. :cool:

i have herpes simplex 1....fever blisters....i had chicken pox and i had shingles...if you have your blood tested for the herpes simplex virus you will most likely have it...its like poison ivy...some react...some dont...

see? if they ever start giving smallpox vaccinations you are shit outta luck.. baby..

Show where I am wrong, show me one single "scare" like this since modern medicine which has actually directly resulted in deaths ... just one where the virus they advertised fear for killed one person.

I think SARS killed 6 or maybe more in Canada. But they were old, so taking a bath could have been just as hazardous to their health.

Is that different because it's in another country?

:lol: or :cuckoo: which?

Forum List

Back