Pandemic In the Making?

You'd do better purchase masks, gloves and soap. Alleviating symptoms only makes you feel better but does nothing to kill the virus.

No ... you'd do best to just eat healthy, and when you do get sick let it run it's course. Then the next time you encounter it you won't have to worry ...
That isn't true because viruses continually mutate, so having the flu once doesn't protect you from the next mutated strain.

But this may be why it kills otherwise healthy people instead of the young or the old...because healthy people think they can just fight it off on their own.

You missed the whole exercise part didn't you? You're immune system is like a smart computer, when it fights off one version the next mutation is easier to fight off as well. There are many other factors as well, but exposing your immune system to small amounts of different viruses will improve it.

The human species has been in an ongoing battle with influenza ever since we evolved.

Primates and influenza are well acquainted and have been since long before we came along.

Sometimes the influenza is particularly virulent and it kills a lot of us, and the human genome changes somewhat to deal with it, and sometimes it's is just not so bad.

The 1914 flue epidmeic was particularly bad as it didn't just take off the old and young, but it took off people in their primes, too.

The human species has been in an ongoing battle with influenza ever since we evolved.

Primates and influenza are well acquainted and have been since long before we came along.

Sometimes the influenza is particularly virulent and it kills a lot of us, and the human genome changes somewhat to deal with it, and sometimes it's is just not so bad.

The 1914 flue epidmeic was particularly bad as it didn't just take off the old and young, but it took off people in their primes, too.

Good job of repeating what everyone else has said, including the wrong date on '1914 flue epidmeic.' It was the 1918 flu epidemic.

Bloomberg addressing press at 11:30 pm EST regarding flu.

I know.

But then I live in an isolated area. Regardless of what happens, I'm unlikely to be affected.

It's more likely to hit those isolated liberal elitists who choke our cities.

Me either. I wouldn't even have to leave my house for a couple weeks if I didn't want to. Got everything I need. If I needed milk and bread and stuff like that, I probably wouldn't have to come in contact with anyone, seeing as I could get that a block from me at this little gas station/gun store. Yes living in a tiny little poodunk town has it's advantages. I even have my own water and sewer.

And I'm not going to say I'd like to see a bunch of liberals DIE, but you are probably correct. Huge cities like NY and LA would probably fair the worst. Hope it doesn't though.... millions of people dying off all of a sudden like can't be good.

There's only one problem with that theory. A pandemic will last about six to nine months. A single person may be contaigous for only a matter of a few weeks but it's the chain of infections that lasts.
So having food for a few weeks isn't going to do you one dang bit of good. You need enough to last almost a year.
Not to mention toilet paper and soap and all that goes with living a normal life. Oh and rent or mortgage money.

I can get all that within two blocks of my house, and I have plenty of money. I'm retired. And not many people in this tiny little, back woods town I live in are world travelers. We're pretty insulated from the rest of the country. If anybody had a good chance of not catching it, it would be people around here.

Things like this possible pandemic is just one reason I've chosen to live in a small town, and when I say small town, I mean less than 1400 people. I've lived in Santa Barbara, Tampa, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Reno, and although it was fun while I was there, I never intended to stay. If a city was to say run out of drinking water, like Phoenix, the city would be in complete melt down with people killing each other inside of three days. No thanks. You city people can keep that. I have my own well, and it ain't goin' dry anytime soon. Just one advantage of small town, country livin'.

Last edited:
i think i said 1914 first there annie.....my bad....

no one is isolated from a pandemic flu....world travel has made that nearly impossible....you dont have to travel...your neighbor may not travel ..but his nephew may have come home last week ...etc...
just use common sense...

Good job of repeating what everyone else has said, including the wrong date on '1914 flue epidmeic.' It was the 1918 flu epidemic.

Thanks for your input, too, honey.

I am sorry about your wife, I can't imagine. I pray that you and your children are healing.

I do think some people are born with a more robust immune system, they seem able to be exposed to many things, yet they never come down with those diseases. I think of the kids with perfect attendance awards, year after year. I think I'm luckier in that way than many teachers, I've had the flu once in the past 40 years. I average a cold a year and that's with teaching in a small, poorly ventilated school with kids ages 3-14! I am susceptible to strep, I've had that 10 times in the past 10 years. Others seem to struggle with a variety of viruses for the first few months, every year.

There are many factors to how strong our immune system is, some are genetic. One thing though, catching a cold every year can actually make you healthier. Like all parts of the body the immune system needs to practice at what it does, or it gets weaker. Flu vaccines are suppose to work on this fact to improve your chances of fighting it, but it's not quite the same. Sometimes, it's just better to get sick when you naturally do.

A great example is the Chicken Pox. The reason we can catch it only once is that the cause does not mutate or evolve (yet). Once our immune system fights it off it's smart enough to keep you from catching it again. The problem is that instead of allowing people who need to have their immune systems exercised they scare people into getting vaccines for things we really don't need, ultimately weakening our bodies so when something comes that they don't plan for it hits us so hard that even "healthy" people are killed by it. What they would really do if they actually cared about us (the medical community) is find out what is weakening immune systems and work on curing those instead, otherwise it is quite possible a virus could wipe out most of our population.

But meh, I don't mind that thought s much so I don't do much but tell people the truth. You can listen and maybe save yourself should such an event happen, or buy into the scares and take the risk ... matters not to me.

I agree with what you are saying there, although Shingles are thought to be related to the chicken pox virus. A different 'form' even if exposed as a child. Some get them, others don't.

chicken pox, small pox and cold sores are all related to the herpes virus. herpes zoster, and herpes simplex and a varicella,. one never becomes immune to virus' because as someone already has pointed out they mutate frequently.

Last edited:
i have herpes simplex 1....fever blisters....i had chicken pox and i had shingles...if you have your blood tested for the herpes simplex virus you will most likely have it...its like poison ivy...some react...some dont...

Thanks for your input, too, honey.

Any time.

There are many factors to how strong our immune system is, some are genetic. One thing though, catching a cold every year can actually make you healthier. Like all parts of the body the immune system needs to practice at what it does, or it gets weaker. Flu vaccines are suppose to work on this fact to improve your chances of fighting it, but it's not quite the same. Sometimes, it's just better to get sick when you naturally do.

A great example is the Chicken Pox. The reason we can catch it only once is that the cause does not mutate or evolve (yet). Once our immune system fights it off it's smart enough to keep you from catching it again. The problem is that instead of allowing people who need to have their immune systems exercised they scare people into getting vaccines for things we really don't need, ultimately weakening our bodies so when something comes that they don't plan for it hits us so hard that even "healthy" people are killed by it. What they would really do if they actually cared about us (the medical community) is find out what is weakening immune systems and work on curing those instead, otherwise it is quite possible a virus could wipe out most of our population.

But meh, I don't mind that thought s much so I don't do much but tell people the truth. You can listen and maybe save yourself should such an event happen, or buy into the scares and take the risk ... matters not to me.

I agree with what you are saying there, although Shingles are thought to be related to the chicken pox virus. A different 'form' even if exposed as a child. Some get them, others don't.

chicken pox, small pox and cold sores are all related to the herpes virus. herpes zoster, and herpes simple and a varicella,. one never becomes immune to virus' because as someone already has pointed out they mutate frequently.

I have chronic iriitis, stemming from herpes zoster - most people are infected as children - chicken pox.

It opened for me, but I said, "Please." ;)

This is an official
CDC Health Advisory

Distributed via Health Alert Network
April 25, 2009, 3:00 EST (03:00 PM EDT)
CDCHAN-000281-2009-04-25-ALT-N

Investigation and Interim Recommendations:
Swine Influenza (H1N1)

CDC, in collaboration with public health officials in California and Texas, is investigating cases of febrile respiratory illness
caused by swine influenza (H1N1) viruses. As of 11 AM (EDT) April 25, 2009, 8 laboratory confirmed cases of Swine
Influenza infection have been confirmed in the United States. Four cases have been reported in San Diego County,
California. Two cases have been reported in Imperial County California. Two cases have been reported in Guadalupe
County, Texas. Of the 8 persons with available data, illness onsets occurred March 28-April 14, 2009. Age range was 7-
54 y.o. Cases are 63% male.
The viruses contain a unique combination of gene segments that have not been reported previously among swine or
human influenza viruses in the U.S. or elsewhere. At this time, CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for
the treatment of infection with swine influenza viruses. The H1N1 viruses are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine but
not to oseltamivir or zanamivir. It is not anticipated that the seasonal influenza vaccine will provide protection against the
swine flu H1N1 viruses.
CDC has also been working closely with public health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization
(WHO). Mexican public health authorities have reported increased levels of respiratory disease, including reports of
severe pneumonia cases and deaths, in recent weeks. CDC is assisting public health authorities in Mexico by testing
specimens and providing epidemiological support. As of 11:00 AM (EDT) April 25, 2009, 7 specimens from Mexico at
CDC have tested positive for the same strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) as identified in U.S. cases. However, no clear
data are available to assess the link between the increased disease reports in Mexico and the confirmation of swine
influenza in a small number of specimens. WHO is monitoring international cases. Further information on international
cases may be found at: WHO | Influenza-like illness in the United States and Mexico
Clinicians should consider swine influenza infection in the differential diagnosis of patients with febrile respiratory illness
and who 1) live in San Diego or Imperial counties, California, or Guadalupe County, Texas, or traveled to these counties
or 2) who traveled recently to Mexico or were in contact with persons who had febrile respiratory illness and were in one
of the three U.S. counties or Mexico during the 7 days preceding their illness onset.
Patients who meet these criteria should be tested for influenza, and specimens positive for influenza should be sent to
public health laboratories for further characterization. Clinicians who suspect swine influenza virus infections in humans
should obtain a nasopharyngeal swab from the patient, place the swab in a viral transport medium, refrigerate the
specimen, and then contact their state or local health department to facilitate transport and timely diagnosis at a state
public health laboratory. CDC requests that state public health laboratories promptly send all influenza A specimens that
cannot be subtyped to the CDC, Influenza Division, Virus Surveillance and Diagnostics Branch Laboratory.
Persons with febrile respiratory illness should stay home from work or school to avoid spreading infections (including
influenza and other respiratory illnesses) to others in their communities. In addition, frequent hand washing can lessen the
spread of respiratory illness.
CDC has not recommended that people avoid travel to affected areas at this time. Recommendations found at
Outbreak Notice: Swine Influenza in the United States | CDC Travelers' Health will help travelers reduce risk of infection and stay healthy.
Clinical guidance on laboratory safety, case definitions, infection control and information for the public are available
at:CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation.
• Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers
• Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A
(H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting
• Interim Guidance on Case Definitions for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Human Case Investigations:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Interim Guidance on Case Definitions for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Human Case Investigations
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports Dispatch (April 24) provide detailed information about the initial cases at
Update: Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infections --- California and Texas, April 2009

For more information about swine flu: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

Now this is a bit disturbing:

washingtonpost.com

U.S. Slow to Learn of Mexico Flu
Canadian Officials Knew of Rare Strain Before Americans Did
By David Brown
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 26, 2009

U.S. public health officials did not know about a growing outbreak of swine flu in Mexico until nearly a week after that country started invoking protective measures, and didn't learn that the deaths were caused by a rare strain of the influenza until after Canadian officials did.

The delayed communication occurred as epidemiologists in Southern California were investigating milder cases of the illness that turned out to be caused by the same strain of swine flu as the one in Mexico.

In the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks, the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003 and the more recent emergence of H5N1 bird flu in Asia, national and local health authorities have done extensive planning for disease outbreaks that could lead to global epidemics, or pandemics. Open and frequent communication between countries and agencies has been a hallmark of that work.

Whether delayed communication among the countries has had a practical consequence is unknown. However, it seems that U.S. public health officials are still largely in the dark about what's happening in Mexico two weeks after the outbreak was recognized.....

I have always wondered why some people die from the flu, and others don't.

I think our immune systems are so different, Annie, you just said healthy adults are dying from this new strain. It's scary. There are so many things we, as consumers, eat and drink and even touch, not knowing what's in it or where it's been. :eek:

I know the very young and the elderly have always been at high risk, but now it seems nobody is immune.

I think it's the same reason some people develop and die from cancer while others do not. Some people have stronger immune systems than others. We have been searching for a cure for cancer for over fifty years, putting billions of dollars into research, and yet, for the most part, have made little progress. Yes, some treatments do seem to work with certain types of cancer if caught early enough, but no real cures.

When I watched my wife battle leukemia and eventual die from it, I kept wondering how killing cells throughout the body was a good way to fight cancer. It just doesn't seem to make sense. It seems like the real cure would be in finding a way to strengthen the immune system so the body could do what it is meant to do. Of course, that may be impossible also.

Anyway, just rambling, I guess.

I'm so sorry about your wife. It's so hard to watch someone you love go through that. I think you're right tho about the immune system. It seems to me that killing healthy cells like chemo does just allows the cancer to take hold in other places.

20 confirmed mild cases in 5 states ....now in canada and of course mexico....we now have a public health emergency....

The update I read said all the US patients are stable.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Release # 016-09
Sunday, April 26, 2009

Jessica Scaperotti/Erin Brady: [email protected]

Testing Confirms Swine Influenza at St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens

No citywide increase in illness and no other cases or clusters identified in NYC so far

April 26, 2009 – Tests conducted at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have confirmed cases of human swine flu among students at St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens. The school is suspending classes on Monday. The affected students have experienced only mild symptoms and many are already improving, but a similar virus has recently caused deaths in Mexico.

All of the U.S. patients have recovered fully. The Health Department’s surveillance system has not shown a citywide increase in flu-like illness. An investigation of a cluster of children with illness in a Bronx daycare facility has so far not identified any confirmed or probable cases.

The Queens investigation began last week, when more than 100 students at the St. Francis School developed flu-like symptoms, including fever and sore throat. The Health Department’s Public Health Laboratory tested nine nose and throat swabs. Eight of them tested positive for Influenza A but did match any of the known human variants of that virus (the H1 and H3 human subtypes) by available testing methods. On Saturday, the Health Department deemed them “probable” cases of human swine influenza and sent the samples to CDC in Atlanta for confirmatory testing. Those tests confirmed the presence of swine influenza viruses.

Swine flu is a respiratory infection caused by influenza type A viruses that regularly cause outbreaks of influenza in pigs. People do not normally get swine flu, but human infections can occur. Human cases typically involve people who have had direct contact with pigs, but likely person-to-person transmission has now been reported in California, Texas, Mexico and New York City. Again, the cases in Mexico have had a high fatality rate, but the confirmed cases in the U.S. have been mild and all patients have recovered without treatment.

20 confirmed mild cases in 5 states ....now in canada and of course mexico....we now have a public health emergency....

There are two types of swine flu H1N1 is the one that can be the deadly of the two.

Today's page....at the CDC

Human Swine Influenza Investigation
April 26, 2009 12:45 ET

Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the United States. Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection also have been identified internationally. The current U.S. case count is provided below.

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection State # of laboratory
confirmed cases
California 7 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 8 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT 20 cases
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health Organization
As of April 26, 2009 9:00 AM ET

Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with swine influenza viruses.

CDC is working very closely with officials in states where human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) have been identified, as well as with health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization. This includes deploying staff domestically and internationally to provide guidance and technical support. CDC has activated its Emergency Operations Center to coordinate this investigation.

Laboratory testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir and has issued interim guidance for the use of these drugs to treat and prevent infection with swine influenza viruses. CDC also has prepared interim guidance on how to care for people who are sick and interim guidance on the use of face masks in a community setting where spread of this swine flu virus has been detected. This is a rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide new information as it becomes available.

There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

Topics on this page:

General Information
Summary Guidance
Guidance Documents
Travel Notices
Transcripts
Reports & Publications
Related Links
Past Updates
General Information
Swine Flu and You
What is swine flu? Are there human infections with swine flu in the U.S.? …

Swine Flu Video Podcast
Dr. Joe Bresee, with the CDC Influenza Division, describes swine flu - its signs and symptoms, how it's transmitted, medicines to treat it, steps people can take to protect themselves from it, and what people should do if they become ill.

Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu)
How does swine flu spread? Can people catch swine flu from eating pork? …

Swine Influenza in Pigs and People
Brochure

Información en español
Datos importantes sobre la influenza porcina…

Summary Guidance
CDC has provided the following interim guidance for this investigation.

Residents of California and Texas
Clinicians
State Public Health Laboratories
Public Health/Animal Health
Residents of States with Swine Influenza Cases
CDC has identified human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in people in the U.S. CDC is working with local and state health agencies to investigate these cases. We have determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human. However, at this time, we have not determined how easily the virus spreads between people. As with any infectious disease, we are recommending precautionary measures for people residing in these areas.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
There is no vaccine available at this time, so it is important for people living in these areas to take steps to prevent spreading the virus to others. If people are ill, they should attempt to stay at home and limit contact with others. Healthy residents living in these areas should take everyday preventive actions.

People who live in these areas who develop an illness with fever and respiratory symptoms, such as cough and runny nose, and possibly other symptoms, such as body aches, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, should contact their health care provider. Their health care provider will determine whether influenza testing is needed.

Clinicians
Clinicians should consider the possibility of swine influenza virus infections in patients presenting with febrile respiratory illness who

Live in an area where human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) has been identified or
Have traveled to an area where human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) has been identified or
Have been in contact with ill persons from these areas in the 7 days prior to their illness onset.

If swine flu is suspected, clinicians should obtain a respiratory swab for swine influenza testing and place it in a refrigerator (not a freezer). Once collected, the clinician should contact their state or local health department to facilitate transport and timely diagnosis at a state public health laboratory.

State Public Health Laboratories
Laboratories should send all unsubtypable influenza A specimens as soon as possible to the Viral Surveillance and Diagnostic Branch of the CDC’s Influenza Division for further diagnostic testing.

Public Health /Animal Health Officials
Officials should conduct thorough case and contact investigations to determine the source of the swine influenza virus, extent of community illness and the need for timely control measures.

Guidance Documents

Interim Guidance for Swine influenza A (H1N1): Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home Apr 25, 2009

Interim Guidance on Antiviral Recommendations for Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection and Close Contacts Apr 25, 2009

Interim Recommendations for Facemask and Respirator Use in Certain Community Settings Where Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Transmission Has Been Detected Apr 26, 2009

Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers Apr 24, 2009
This guidance is for laboratory workers who may be processing or performing diagnostic testing on clinical specimens from patients with suspected swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection, or performing viral isolation.

Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting Apr 24, 2009

Interim Guidance on Case Definitions to be Used For Investigations of Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Apr 26, 2009
This document provides interim guidance for state and local health departments conducting investigations of human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus. The following case definitions are for the purpose of investigations of suspected, probable, and confirmed cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection.

Travel Notices
Risk of Swine Flu Associated with Travel to Affected Areas
April 26, 2009 at 12:28 p.m. ET

World Health page issued April 24, 2009
Influenza-like illness in the United States and Mexico
24 April 2009 -- The United States Government has reported seven confirmed human cases of Swine Influenza A/H1N1 in the USA (five in California and two in Texas) and nine suspect cases. All seven confirmed cases had mild Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), with only one requiring brief hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

The Government of Mexico has reported three separate events. In the Federal District of Mexico, surveillance began picking up cases of ILI starting 18 March. The number of cases has risen steadily through April and as of 23 April there are now more than 854 cases of pneumonia from the capital. Of those, 59 have died. In San Luis Potosi, in central Mexico, 24 cases of ILI, with three deaths, have been reported. And from Mexicali, near the border with the United States, four cases of ILI, with no deaths, have been reported.

Of the Mexican cases, 18 have been laboratory confirmed in Canada as Swine Influenza A/H1N1, while 12 of those are genetically identical to the Swine Influenza A/H1N1 viruses from California.

The majority of these cases have occurred in otherwise healthy young adults. Influenza normally affects the very young and the very old, but these age groups have not been heavily affected in Mexico.

Because there are human cases associated with an animal influenza virus, and because of the geographical spread of multiple community outbreaks, plus the somewhat unusual age groups affected, these events are of high concern.

The Swine Influenza A/H1N1 viruses characterized in this outbreak have not been previously detected in pigs or humans. The viruses so far characterized have been sensitive to oseltamivir, but resistant to both amantadine and rimantadine.

The World Health Organization has been in constant contact with the health authorities in the United States, Mexico and Canada in order to better understand the risk which these ILI events pose. WHO (and PAHO) is sending missions of experts to Mexico to work with health authorities there. It is helping its Member States to increase field epidemiology activities, laboratory diagnosis and clinical management. Moreover, WHO's partners in the Global Alert and Response Network have been alerted and are ready to assist as requested by the Member States.

WHO acknowledges the United States and Mexico for their proactive reporting and their collaboration with WHO and will continue to work with Member States to further characterize the outbreak.

Forum List

Back