Pandemic In the Making?

I think SARS killed 6 or maybe more in Canada. But they were old, so taking a bath could have been just as hazardous to their health.

Typical illinformed American. There were at 44 deaths in the Toronto area in 2003. The poeple were of differing ages - young and old. Get your facts straight for a change.

cases of swine flu in the us....doubled today...from 20 to 40....most of it is clustered in the school in nyc...now they are beginning to trace the spread from mexico to new zealand on and on

Karl Rove, conservative Republicans, and Susan Collins opposed money spent on pandemic preparedness

When House Appropriations Committee chairman David Obey, the Wisconsin Democrat who has long championed investment in pandemic preparation, included roughly $900 million for that purpose in this year's emergency stimulus bill, he was ridiculed by conservative operatives and congressional Republicans....

[T]he arguments former White House political czar Karl Rove advanced in February to frame opposition to the stimulus package Obey crafted in the House....

Rove specifically complained that Obey's proposal included "$462 million for the Centers for Disease Control, and $900 million for pandemic flu preparations."

americablog.com

I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. All have survived in the United States that have contacted this virus. It sounds more like a 2 day flu--from what I have been hearing.

And I lived through one of the worst: "The Hong Cong Flu back in the late 60's". As a young healthy 16 year old--that kept me in bed for a week.

Also remember that Mexico City is the largest population on earth. In fact, they really don't know how many live there--because they can't count that many--our guess is around 24-25 MILLION people.

So--to accurately say--How many of them have had this virus already without any complications is unknown to us, along with the general health of the people who have died from it. Were they compromised by other health issues?

Karl Rove, conservative Republicans, and Susan Collins opposed money spent on pandemic preparedness

When House Appropriations Committee chairman David Obey, the Wisconsin Democrat who has long championed investment in pandemic preparation, included roughly $900 million for that purpose in this year's emergency stimulus bill, he was ridiculed by conservative operatives and congressional Republicans....

[T]he arguments former White House political czar Karl Rove advanced in February to frame opposition to the stimulus package Obey crafted in the House....

Rove specifically complained that Obey's proposal included "$462 million for the Centers for Disease Control, and $900 million for pandemic flu preparations."

americablog.com

If you want to go back in history--look at the "fear" over the SARS virus & the BIRD flu--that had this country in a panic. Look at the millions that President Bush threw at that.--& Who do you know that actually contacted either of those diseases?

Because of that--we are right now--over inventoried--in flu virus medicine that can easily handle this one. THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN REPORTED ON THE NEWS NETWORKS.

So YOU can thank President Bush for that!

Last edited:
Swine Flu Cases in U.S. Double to 40, WHO Reports (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

April 27 (Bloomberg) -- The swine flu outbreak in the U.S. has grown to 40 confirmed cases, the World Health Organization said today.

The Geneva-based agency gave the new figures, up from 20 confirmed yesterday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in a conference call.

The number of confirmed cases in Mexico is 26, said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl on the call. Six cases have been confirmed in Canada, and one has been confirmed in Spain.

73 people............the horror.......

The Spanish flu killed 40 million people in 1918.

It is not really something to make fun of.

I wouldn't push the panic button just yet.
I'm impressed, this is the first post I've ever seen you make that wasn't over the edge hysterical.

Also remember that Mexico City is the largest population on earth. In fact, they really don't know how many live there--because they can't count that many--our guess is around 24-25 MILLION people.
Of course they can't. :cuckoo:

Even if you think that, Kit. Please take extra good care of yourself for the next month or so. Promise?

Show where I am wrong, show me one single "scare" like this since modern medicine which has actually directly resulted in deaths ... just one where the virus they advertised fear for killed one person.

I think SARS killed 6 or maybe more in Canada. But they were old, so taking a bath could have been just as hazardous to their health.

Is that different because it's in another country?

No, it's not a direct result of SARS, it was due to complications, but good try. I'm still waiting for the paranoid ones to come up with one case ... they can't because anyone killed by such a scare has always been because of complications which can happen with anything, like the common cold or even allergies. But they talk about these like they're the next black plague or something.

The Spanish flu killed 40 million people in 1918.

It is not really something to make fun of.

During a time when few people took regular baths and hygiene was basically not even a pipe dream ... still could all be complications just without modern science we can't know for sure, but they already said as much, complications not direct result of the virus.

Show where I am wrong, show me one single "scare" like this since modern medicine which has actually directly resulted in deaths ... just one where the virus they advertised fear for killed one person.

No, it's not a direct result of SARS, it was due to complications, but good try. I'm still waiting for the paranoid ones to come up with one case ... they can't because anyone killed by such a scare has always been because of complications which can happen with anything, like the common cold or even allergies. But they talk about these like they're the next black plague or something.
That's silly. Everyone knows no one died because of the plague, merely from complications due to the plague.

Don't worry, it's just more of Obama's distraction technique.

No but in his typical fashion he is using this as an opportunity to push his Universal Health care. Never let a good crisis go to waste...at least that is what his administration says.

No but in his typical fashion he is using this as an opportunity to push his Universal Health care. Never let a good crisis go to waste...at least that is what his administration says.

Psst, he 'thought' he needed those 'torture' pics, he should have saved them. :eusa_shhh:

While it is understood that the presence of the virus is what causes infection, the infection would not have developed, when it did, if it had not been for the underlying virus.

All viruses are different. Some lay dormant for years, while others begin to mess with your system soon after being infected. While I would agree that SARS affected a different demographic more severely, Swin Flu seems to be affecting different age ratios, more severely than the usual old people and immune-compromised. I nor you, have no idea if the younger people who died had underlying, immunocompormising conditions, but they did die after being infected with Swin Fl - hence Swin Flu being blamed for their death and I can blame herpes zoster for chronic iritis.

After the 2004 Tsuanami devastated Asia, I was on a message board discussing it when several liberals stepped up and said the world was already overpopulated and this was a good thing. One even said that most of the dead were poor as if to make their deaths more palatable.

But nobody on here has said that, have they?

You're using that as an excuse to put down liberals again, instead of talking about the flu, which is what this thread is about.

You have the power to remove or move my posts if you do not feel they are germane to the thread. And it's always so easy to 'put down liberals' since just about any topic can point to their hypocrisy.

Now back to the subject at hand... Pandemics have been brought up on message boards many times and population control has invariably been discussed. I'm sure we've all seen this:

Newsvine - Obama advisor: Earth population 'exceeds limits'

Have to constantly put down someone, X? Feeling a little inferior there? Don't worry about that, posting shit like that proves you to be inferior. So no need to worry further.

President Obama does not need this crisis for pushing Universal Health Care. The number of people losing health insurance on a daily basis due to losing their jobs is making the case well enough. The rest of us will just run right over you dinosaurs on this issue. Europe, Japan, and Taiwan have proven the case for Universal Health care.

Ever notice the most covered scares like this almost always seem to happen about the time that they are talking about budgets?

Hmm ... how odd is that ..

Forum List

Back