Pagan Symbols and Customs adopted by Christianity

I believe you are comparing old false religions with new false religions.
Jesus was not God--That is not a true teaching.
Trinity translations are erred--they contradict Jesus' teachings.
Jesus teaches he has a God, his Father-John 20:17, rev 3:12--So does Paul-- 2 Corinthians 1:3, 1 Cor 8:6, 1 Cor 15:24-28--So does John(Anointed) Rev 1:6--subtle errors make it look as a possible trinity. To fit Catholicism council teachings.

I expect you don't think much of the gospel of John, do you......

I know it well--In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with (HO) Theos, and the word was Theos---Only word for God-god in greek----- The word was not being called HO Theos--THE GOD---just Theos--small g god---biblical talk that carries the meaning has godlike qualities--because Gods power went through Jesus.( acts 2:22) One of trinity errors not explaining John 1:1 truthfully. And putting a capitol G-GOD in place of reality.

given that John wrote his gospel specifically to prove to people who believed what you believe were wrong and that Jesus was in truth God, it would appear you've missed something in his text......

Many of today's customs used by Christians can be traced back to the 4th century, when Constantine permitted the process of converting the official religion of the Roman Empire from Paganism to Christianity.

Note the word 'converting'. Changing the sign on the door is a lot easier, quicker and cheaper than changing the whole building. Christianity was modelled on many customs that were familiar and acceptable to Jews and Pagans at that time, when religion and belief were intertwined with superstition.

Even the word 'Christian' was coined by Pagans.

The first followers of Christ borrowed Jewish terms to describe themselves, such as 'believers' and 'disciples' (but in Hebrew, of course). Two of the early missionaries, Paul and Barnabas, went to work spreading the Gospel in the Pagan metropolis of Antioch, where the locals derisively called them 'Christians'

Antiquities p.005

Pagan crosses

The cross is used extensively in black magic and in innumerable religions.

The Cross – an Emblem of Christianity explains how this simplest of symbols has evolved from its Pagan roots. We explain how it has caused as much grief as it has comforted. A torture instrument, a threat to entire civilizations, and yet used as jewellery and sometimes worshipped. It has associations with illegal psychedelic drugs, BSE and bird flu, Prince Harry, hatred and despair, love, valour and heroism, World War I, World War II, the Crusades, the invasion of Iraq (again), mythology, Satan, and salvation.

Pagan clothing

Vestments and fancy garb do not make the wearer a priest. They have always been little more than symbols of status; a tradition passed down through civilization, and added to along the way. Look at the ecclesiastical finery sported by high churches – those that emphasize formality and resist modernisation.

Church buildings and Pagan temples

The Early Church was not so wealthy, neither were Christians. The disciples were fishermen, artisans and of the peasant class; not wealthy princes. Even if they wanted to build churches of their own design, there was no money for such a luxury. Therefore existing buildings were adapted.

Candles

Oil lamps were in use before Christianity, not only to replace darkness with light, but also to repel dark spirits. Only a superstition, yet quite natural and understandable behaviour. As children we prefer the light on at night to keep the bogeyman away.

Bells and bell ringing

Bells as religious symbolism began in Paganism and has since been adopted by the Church.

Incense

Originally used to repel bad smells, the aroma from burning resin was used to dispel bad spirits.

Tonsure

The shaven head sported by monks and clerics of certain religious orders for hundreds of years has a simple origin.

Vow of Silence

Pythagoreans from around 530 B.C. took the practice of silence seriously; breaking the vow of silence carried the death penalty. And the priestess-guardians of the sacred Roman fire, the Vestal Virgins, lived in silence for years at a time.

Vidar, son of Odin, was the Norse god of silence and there was a minor Roman goddess of silence called Muta, from which we get the word 'mute'.

Chants

Songs in the form of chants, poems, and later as hymns, cantatas, anthems, oratorios or motets, are useful mnemonic methods. Singing makes us feel hearty and that's why we sing; whether it's a chant or any other form. Singing helps us feel young and energetic, even if we're not very proficient. Singing helps relieve tension. Singing is therapeutic. Communal singing turns an audience into participants.

Pagans used singing as part of their worship too. Like the word Glory, chants are not even restricted to religion. They are used by squads of jogging soldiers, team-sports players in training, supporters at a match, cheerleaders, supporters at a political convention, children reciting nursery rhymes and the alphabet song.

One particular type of Christian hymn is called a carol, which is sung at Christmas time; another custom with Pagan roots:

Christmas

Christmas is one of the biggest events on the Christian calendar, yet the customs we associate with the event are steeped in Paganism.

Prayer posture and words

A prayer is a collection of words spoken aloud or silently, to our god. Man has prayed to the nature gods for millennia; it was certainly not a new invention for Christianity. And it was natural, like all the things listed above, for Christians to adopt this form of communication with their God.

Amen

Even Amen, the very last word in the Bible, has Pagan roots. Yet Christians, Jews and Muslims invariably end their prayers, Scripture readings, and hymns by saying Amen as an expression of concurrence.

These are but a few...

Feel free to add to the list.

YOU CULT MEMBERS ARE BEING USED AS SATAN'S TOOLS,FOOLS PUPPETS!!! WISE UP! Now

Haz, just how many bells did Christ walk around ringing? Find the passage in the Bible where Christ and His family sat around the fire roasting chestnuts and singing Christmas carols.......

Can you name any religion that does what Jesus or Christ did? Saying that jesus or Christ didn't ring bells, burn incense or have magic water really does not address the point.

The OP is correct.

Modern day Catholicism was borne of Pagan beliefs and as a way of squashing Pagans' beliefs. I'd have to read the OP again to know if he mentioned this but the Pagan workers even worked their own idols and icons into the church designs.

OP being correct, is nice, but irrelevant. The truths of Christianity, are still true, regardless of what the OP says.

Nothing of what was said, changes anything about Christianity. Not a thing. So aside from being nifty trivia pursuit answers, the OP was pointless.

Christians like to claim that their religion is base on Judaism which is bogus

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:
Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
Jewish belief is based on national revelation.
But first, some background: What exactly is the Messiah?
The word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word Mashiach, which means "anointed." It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, 1-Kings 1:39, 2-Kings 9:3)

1. Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Jewish Messianic Prophecies
What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)
Specifically, the Bible says he will:
Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.
Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.
Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.

2) Jesus Did Not Embody the Personal Qualifications of Messiah
A. Messiah as Prophet
The Messiah will become the greatest prophet in history, second only to Moses. (Targum - Isaiah 11:2; Maimonides - Yad Teshuva 9:2)
Prophecy can only exist in Israel when the land is inhabited by a majority of world Jewry, a situation which has not existed since 300 BCE. During the time of Ezra, when the majority of Jews remained in Babylon, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets ― Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.
Jesus appeared on the scene approximately 350 years after prophecy had ended, and thus could not be a prophet.
B. Descendent of David
Many prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5)
The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24). According to the Christian claim that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father ― and thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of being descended on his father's side from King David. (1)
According to Jewish sources, the Messiah will be born of human parents and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-god, (2) nor will he possess supernatural qualities.
C. Torah Observance
The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The Torah states that all mitzvot remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)
Throughout the New Testament, Jesus contradicts the Torah and states that its commandments are no longer applicable. For example, John 9:14 records that Jesus made a paste in violation of Shabbat, which caused the Pharisees to say (verse 16), "He does not observe Shabbat!"

3) Mistranslated Verses "Referring" to Jesus
Biblical verses can only be understood by studying the original Hebrew text ― which reveals many discrepancies in the Christian translation.
A. Virgin Birth
The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.
B. Suffering Servant
Christianity claims that Isaiah chapter 53 refers to Jesus, as the "suffering servant."
In actuality, Isaiah 53 directly follows the theme of chapter 52, describing the exile and redemption of the Jewish people. The prophecies are written in the singular form because the Jews ("Israel") are regarded as one unit. Throughout Jewish scripture, Israel is repeatedly called, in the singular, the "Servant of God" (see Isaiah 43:8). In fact, Isaiah states no less than 11 times in the chapters prior to 53 that the Servant of God is Israel.
When read correctly, Isaiah 53 clearly [and ironically] refers to the Jewish people being "bruised, crushed and as sheep brought to slaughter" at the hands of the nations of the world. These descriptions are used throughout Jewish scripture to graphically describe the suffering of the Jewish people (see Psalm 44).
Isaiah 53 concludes that when the Jewish people are redeemed, the nations will recognize and accept responsibility for the inordinate suffering and death of the Jews.

4) Jewish Belief is Based Solely on National Revelation
Throughout history, thousands of religions have been started by individuals, attempting to convince people that he or she is God's true prophet. But personal revelation is an extremely weak basis for a religion because one can never know if it is indeed true. Since others did not hear God speak to this person, they have to take his word for it. Even if the individual claiming personal revelation performs miracles, they do not prove he is a genuine prophet. All the miracles show ― assuming they are genuine ― is that he has certain powers. It has nothing to do with his claim of prophecy.
Judaism, unique among all of the world's major religions, does not rely on "claims of miracles" as the basis for its religion. In fact, the Bible says that God sometimes grants the power of "miracles" to charlatans, in order to test Jewish loyalty to the Torah (Deut. 13:4).
Of the thousands of religions in human history, only Judaism bases its belief on national revelation ― i.e. God speaking to the entire nation. If God is going to start a religion, it makes sense He'll tell everyone, not just one person.
Maimonides states :
The Jews did not believe in Moses, our teacher, because of the miracles he performed. Whenever anyone's belief is based on seeing miracles, he has lingering doubts, because it is possible the miracles were performed through magic or sorcery.

Haz, just how many bells did Christ walk around ringing? Find the passage in the Bible where Christ and His family sat around the fire roasting chestnuts and singing Christmas carols.......

Missing the point - the modern practice of Christianity, Christmas, Easter, symbols and practices all borrow heavily from paganism.

Many modern evangelicals are taught such a distorted history of Christianity and how the Bible was written and edited -- it's important that when practicing a religion you understand the origins of the traditions.

If you think that's crazy how about the fact that critics of Christianity don't have a clue what it's about ?

hey guno.....you remember the last time you claimed Christianity copied pagan doctrines and I pointed out you were lying......and you ran away without responding?.....I do......

now, as for this instance.....are you seriously suggesting (as the idiot in the video did) that painted eggs at Easter is a Christian tradition?......now, if you wanted to post this on a thread about how seculars try to mask the true purpose of Christian celebrations you would have been on the mark.......

Last edited:

Yet another example of supposed "journalists" making their own news, instead of doing their job of reporting the news. And people on the left, wonder why no one watches CNN anymore.

Again... so what? You are missing the point. Everyone knows that December 25th isn't the exact day Jesus Christ was born.

Doesn't matter. That's the day we celebrate his birth.

Everyone knows there were no evergreen trees at Jesus Birth.

Doesn't matter. That's a tradition we use in celebrating his birth.

Only a pagan, would use these pagan arguments, about pagan origins, to deny Christianity.

That's up to you. Go knock yourself out. Me.... I'm still a Christian, and I still believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. You can go have fun spouting your lame arguments to each other, and believe whatever you want. As for me and my house, we serve the Lord.

I'm just curious.

Exactly what do you expect to gain by posting this?

I think everybody knows this in general.

I'm just curious.

Read the thread. Looks like some don't know it and some are in complete denial.

Paganism is the original religion, the very first religion. Christianity is a relative newcomer. Its odd but some just can't accept that.

Yet another example of supposed "journalists" making their own news, instead of doing their job of reporting the news. And people on the left, wonder why no one watches CNN anymore.

Again... so what? You are missing the point. Everyone knows that December 25th isn't the exact day Jesus Christ was born.

Doesn't matter. That's the day we celebrate his birth.

Everyone knows there were no evergreen trees at Jesus Birth.

Doesn't matter. That's a tradition we use in celebrating his birth.

Only a pagan, would use these pagan arguments, about pagan origins, to deny Christianity.

That's up to you. Go knock yourself out. Me.... I'm still a Christian, and I still believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. You can go have fun spouting your lame arguments to each other, and believe whatever you want. As for me and my house, we serve the Lord.

Relax. No one is trying to take your crutches away from you. No one has
"used Pagan arguments to deny christianity".

And, it sounds like you don't know much about Paganism.
*shrug*
As you wish.

You realize that symbols aren't the sole property of a specific faith right?

It doesn't matter what symbols we use. The atonement is still real. The doctrines are true.

Did you ever consider that the pagans adopted symbolism from a previous dispensation of the gospel?

I expect you don't think much of the gospel of John, do you......

I know it well--In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with (HO) Theos, and the word was Theos---Only word for God-god in greek----- The word was not being called HO Theos--THE GOD---just Theos--small g god---biblical talk that carries the meaning has godlike qualities--because Gods power went through Jesus.( acts 2:22) One of trinity errors not explaining John 1:1 truthfully. And putting a capitol G-GOD in place of reality.

given that John wrote his gospel specifically to prove to people who believed what you believe were wrong and that Jesus was in truth God, it would appear you've missed something in his text......

I showed you the real truth about John 1:1---Now here is a truth straight from Jesus--John 17:1-6---- Here while praying to his Father in heaven, Jesus teaches--- One must know( the one who sent him)(Father) as THE ONLY TRUE GOD, and know Jesus to get eternal life--verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah) 17:26= YHWH(Jehovah)

John( anointed_) Also teaches that Jesus has a God--his Father-rev 1:6)

The teaching of a trinity god is calling Jesus a liar.

I'm just curious.

Read the thread. Looks like some don't know it and some are in complete denial.

Paganism is the original religion, the very first religion. Christianity is a relative newcomer. Its odd but some just can't accept that.

no reason to......Christianity is a completely different religion.....

I showed you the real truth about John 1:1---Now here is a truth straight from Jesus--John 17:1-6---- Here while praying to his Father in heaven, Jesus teaches--- One must know( the one who sent him)(Father) as THE ONLY TRUE GOD, and know Jesus to get eternal life--verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah) 17:26= YHWH(Jehovah)

how about the other truths in the gospel of John, averaging about three per chapter, in which Jesus is revealed to be God?.....are they all mistakes as well?....

how about the other truths in the gospel of John, averaging about three per chapter, in which Jesus is revealed to be God?.....are they all mistakes as well?....

You mean twisting what is said into Jesus being God. John taught one truth--not two.

You mean twisting what is said into Jesus being God. John taught one truth--not two.

GOD AND JESUS ARE ONE AND THE SAME!!! READ ""ALL"" THE WORD OF GOD NOT JUST A VERSE AND there!!!

GOD AND JESUS ARE ONE AND THE SAME!!! READ ""ALL"" THE WORD OF GOD NOT JUST A VERSE AND there!!!

Then if God and Jesus are one as you say---How did Jesus sit at his own right hand? How did Jesus pray to himself? How does he have a God when only one God exists? In the 2nd line of John 1:1--how can God be with God if only one God exists? At rev 3:12---How can God have a God with another God over there as well, If only one God exists? How did God become a trinity in the nt when for nearly 3000 years prior God was a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah)? Did the Israelites serve a false God? Did Jesus attend false religion synagogues who teach a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah)? Why didn't Jesus refute that teaching of who God actually is?

Then if God and Jesus are one as you say---How did Jesus sit at his own right hand? How did Jesus pray to himself? How does he have a God when only one God exists? In the 2nd line of John 1:1--how can God be with God if only one God exists? At rev 3:12---How can God have a God with another God over there as well, If only one God exists? How did God become a trinity in the nt when for nearly 3000 years prior God was a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah)? Did the Israelites serve a false God? Did Jesus attend false religion synagogues who teach a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah)? Why didn't Jesus refute that teaching of who God actually is?

SIMPLE!!! SILLY NON-THINKER!! WHEN JESUS CAME TO EARTH HE CAME AS A HUMAN AND PUT ASIDE HIS GLORY AND POWER AS GOD. GOD IS ONE! GOD THE FATHER,SON AND HOLYSPIRIT ARE ONE,JUST AS YOU CREATED IN GOD'S IMAGE ARE ONE,YOUR BODY IS YOU,YOUR SOUL IS YOU AND YOUR SPIRIT IS YOU=ONE HUMAN!!! TRY TO Think!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back