Over-regulated America

From The Economist, Feb 18th 2012, this really says it all. IMHO it's worth the time it takes to read it.

America needs a smarter approach to regulation. First, all important rules should be subjected to cost-benefit analysis by an independent watchdog. The results should be made public before the rule is enacted. All big regulations should also come with sunset clauses, so that they expire after, say, ten years unless Congress explicitly re-authorises them.

More important, rules need to be much simpler. When regulators try to write an all-purpose instruction manual, the truly important dos and don’ts are lost in an ocean of verbiage. Far better to lay down broad goals and prescribe only what is strictly necessary to achieve them. Legislators should pass simple rules, and leave regulators to enforce them.

United States' economy: Over-regulated America | The Economist

I agree with your ideas. You wouldn't eliminate Sarbanes Oxley or Dodd/Frank, you would just make them very simple. I like that.

What I worry is the GOP talks about "bad" regulations or "too many" but what their real goal is to eliminate good regulations that are there for a reason. For example, they got rid of regulations we had on the Banks, Wallstreet and the Mortgage companies and that led to the crash.

Pure BS

What is BS?

The fact that:

The GOP deregulated the Banks, Wallstreet and Mortgage industries or that those regulations led to the crash?

What about the deregulations that sent 7 million manufacturing jobs overseas?

Some regulations are good.

He sure does

1_percent.jpg
Neo, Obama lived in Indonesia FOUR YEARS. He grew up in Hawaii.

True. He went to the private school his rich banker grandma sent him to. He was born into the 1%.
Also true. Obama did NOT grow up poor by any means. His mother's parents retired to Hawaii, and owned a chain of hardware stores I believe.

Given that most people who post on forums think they are Constitutional scholars, most threads on administrative regulations tend to go begging. I have started a few, and there is rarely any response. Since my profession is administratively regulated, I thought it would be cool to take administrative law in law school. It was a worthy course. Pretty much everything in our lives is regulated from the air we breathe to where we put our shit. You can't look around your home and find any item that isn't in some way regluated. Even toilet paper. Administrative regulations are ubiquitous. And they are far reaching as our lives are concerned. They are also very political. Far more political than most civil controversies. We do seem to forget or perhaps to greatly misunderstand the administrative arm of our government.

Neo, Obama lived in Indonesia FOUR YEARS. He grew up in Hawaii.

True. He went to the private school his rich banker grandma sent him to. He was born into the 1%.
Also true. Obama did NOT grow up poor by any means. His mother's parents retired to Hawaii, and owned a chain of hardware stores I believe.

I wonder if they were embarrassed that their white daughter got knocked up by a black guy from Kenya.

I agree with your ideas. You wouldn't eliminate Sarbanes Oxley or Dodd/Frank, you would just make them very simple. I like that.

What I worry is the GOP talks about "bad" regulations or "too many" but what their real goal is to eliminate good regulations that are there for a reason. For example, they got rid of regulations we had on the Banks, Wallstreet and the Mortgage companies and that led to the crash.

Pure BS

What is BS?

The fact that:

The GOP deregulated the Banks, Wallstreet and Mortgage industries or that those regulations led to the crash?

That is BS.

Given that most people who post on forums think they are Constitutional scholars, most threads on administrative regulations tend to go begging. I have started a few, and there is rarely any response. Since my profession is administratively regulated, I thought it would be cool to take administrative law in law school. It was a worthy course. Pretty much everything in our lives is regulated from the air we breathe to where we put our shit. You can't look around your home and find any item that isn't in some way regluated. Even toilet paper. Administrative regulations are ubiquitous. And they are far reaching as our lives are concerned. They are also very political. Far more political than most civil controversies. We do seem to forget or perhaps to greatly misunderstand the administrative arm of our government.
Admin law in Florida takes up bookshelves.

I wonder if they were embarrassed that their white daughter got knocked up by a black guy from Kenya.

Only a racist would think up something like that.

Pure BS

What is BS?

The fact that:

but what their real goal is to eliminate good regulations

PURE BULL SHIT

Not true. Considering the era in which they lived, it is not out of the question that they were embarrassed about their daughter being knocked up and not married, let alone by a black guy.

I was listening to a song Lenny Kravtz sang about how his parents were a mixed couple and they worried about being attacked for it, back then.

I'm a left wing progressive liberal. That doesn't mean I can't from time to time think like a conservative.

Not true. Considering the era in which they lived, it is not out of the question that they were embarrassed about their daughter being knocked up and not married, let alone by a black guy.

I was listening to a song Lenny Kravtz sang about how his parents were a mixed couple and they worried about being attacked for it, back then.

I'm a left wing progressive liberal. That doesn't mean I can't from time to time think like a conservative.

They would be racists if they were embarrassed. From all I've read, thought, I think they were surprised she attracted anyone at all. She was homely.

From The Economist, Feb 18th 2012, this really says it all. IMHO it's worth the time it takes to read it.

America needs a smarter approach to regulation. First, all important rules should be subjected to cost-benefit analysis by an independent watchdog. The results should be made public before the rule is enacted. All big regulations should also come with sunset clauses, so that they expire after, say, ten years unless Congress explicitly re-authorises them.

More important, rules need to be much simpler. When regulators try to write an all-purpose instruction manual, the truly important dos and don’ts are lost in an ocean of verbiage. Far better to lay down broad goals and prescribe only what is strictly necessary to achieve them. Legislators should pass simple rules, and leave regulators to enforce them.

United States' economy: Over-regulated America | The Economist

Pure BS

You need to do something about your masochism......

slap_3f.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKvMJeBBSA]Q&A: Leslie & Andrew Cockburn - YouTube[/ame]

See: 5:00 thru 12:00

Last edited:

They would be racists if they were embarrassed. From all I've read, thought, I think they were surprised she attracted anyone at all. She was homely.
Ugly people marry, have children, etc. (I know there will be posts citing Michelle Obama, who I think is fairly attractive, obviously some who post here do NOT. I'll give other examples: Richard Nixon, LBJ, Hoover, John Adams, John Tyler.)

Ugly people marry, have children, etc. (I know there will be posts citing Michelle Obama, who I think is fairly attractive, obviously some who post here do NOT. I'll give other examples: Richard Nixon, LBJ, Hoover, John Adams, John Tyler.)

Those are all men, though. Men choose partners for their looks; women choose partners for their power (usually spelled "M-O-N-E-Y").

Those are all men, though. Men choose partners for their looks; women choose partners for their power (usually spelled "M-O-N-E-Y").
All men because I cited Presidents.

Forum List

Back