CDZ Our Society's Incivility is Due to Our Internet Anonymity

Our civility has been in decline for a long time, before there was an 'internet'; rude behavior is endemic on airlines, freeways, between children and parents, and both ways on the latter, not just kids, and it's long past the time when we should be banning a majority of parents from childrens' and high schools' sports events for asshole behavior..

Because I cant see or hear you, I can only assume you are as life experienced and intellectual as I am.

edited-meister.

Politics in this country have never been 'civil' or polite. People are now taught not to discuss religion or politics with strangers or in public; my family was never one of those types. I discuss both in public several times a week, at a local diner where the news of the day is what is talked about, or standing in line at a store, with neighbors, anywhere, doesn't bother me at all.. We don't mind offending snowflakes or each other, and some of them wear their MAGA hats everywhere, too, so while most Americans are timid or just plainly too self-absorbed to indulge, there are still enough around who aren't.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel better is of no interest to me. My kids are grown and I'm not raising anybody else's for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the mass mental illness of social media has encouraged sociopaths and idiotism, I personally never see this unrelenting division.
Moat folks just go about their day and are quite civil in their daily actions. Most are checked out and pay no attention to politics.
There have always been douches in life, and the rule of Karma applies whether you believe in it or not.
Carry oneself like an ass, life and other individuals will treat you the same.
I don't use sites like this as a barometer for real life. Frankly, the most divisive daily posters I believe are just sock troll accounts.

Well, I don't think we should overlook the effects of an identity politics driven dishonest media that works 24/7 to ensure people are at each other's throats .

We can't just all be Americans ..we are reduced to hyphenated Americans waging war upon each other rather than working together to improve our country .

I think its always been there. People havent just become nasty. The internet has given a voice to these people. People you would avoid on the street and in the pub. Now they are in your home spouting their crap.

But in general things are better than they have ever been. Certainly where I live and across the civilised world. The world gets better although there are bumps on the road.

If - IF - the anonymity of the internet actually changes people for the worse, we should be seeing the prevalence of violent or otherwise nasty real-world conflagrations rise in conjunction with the use of social media.

Evidence for same presented thus far - nil.

Hyperventilation and whining over some alleged effects of anonymity is not evidence. Moreover, the complaint about the next generation and its staggering depravity is about as old as humankind. Somehow humankind managed to survive dozens of "depraved" next generations, even while every next generation grew up, entered geezer status, and unfailingly started to complain about what came after them.

Funny how that goes, no?

Our Society's Incivility is Due to Our Internet Anonymity

We had to devolve as a culture to accommodate our lack of visual or audible cues about each other.

Those cues which would tell us how to customize our communication and interaction with each other.

To not expect a 20's person to have the knowledge or life experience of a 60's person.

And more like that.

And now we have a generation of young people who have been beaten up so much online they think it is normal to be as rude and crude and dumb as we have de-evolved to be.

If we EVER expect to right this we will have to reduce or eliminate online i teraction inlueu of actual in person and in real life regular socialization by all.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

its-afraid-1401101.png

Well, I don't think we should overlook the effects of an identity politics driven dishonest media that works 24/7 to ensure people are at each other's throats .

We can't just all be Americans ..we are reduced to hyphenated Americans waging war upon each other rather than working together to improve our country .
There are millions of folk in America who have been taught and programmed over the years to want, to work toward and to expect they will transform America into a Leftist Utopia.

There are millions of others in America who have been taught they must help eliminate Jahilliyah and to work toward installing Sharia law in America.

And we are blind to most of their actions and intentions.

The anonymity of the internet allows them to learn about us and influence us whenever they wish and it is all legal as long as they obey forum rules.

How many forums are there?

There are likely Jihadis and Communists in every online forum.

That boat done sailed.

I think its always been there. People havent just become nasty. The internet has given a voice to these people. People you would avoid on the street and in the pub. Now they are in your home spouting their crap.

But in general things are better than they have ever been. Certainly where I live and across the civilised world. The world gets better although there are bumps on the road.
In 5 or 10 years I wonder how your perception of America will be perceived by those looking for clues to our outlook on the future.

Why America Slept?

We had to devolve as a culture to accommodate our lack of visual or audible cues about each other.

Those cues which would tell us how to customize our communication and interaction with each other.

To not expect a 20's person to have the knowledge or life experience of a 60's person.

And more like that.

And now we have a generation of young people who have been beaten up so much online they think it is normal to be as rude and crude and dumb as we have de-evolved to be.

If we EVER expect to right this we will have to reduce or eliminate online i teraction inlueu of actual in person and in real life regular socialization by all.

If - IF - the anonymity of the internet actually changes people for the worse, we should be seeing the prevalence of violent or otherwise nasty real-world conflagrations rise in conjunction with the use of social media.

Evidence for same presented thus far - nil.

Hyperventilation and whining over some alleged effects of anonymity is not evidence. Moreover, the complaint about the next generation and its staggering depravity is about as old as humankind. Somehow humankind managed to survive dozens of "depraved" next generations, even while every next generation grew up, entered geezer status, and unfailingly started to complain about what came after them.

Funny how that goes, no?
No.

I believe you are blind to what is happening around you.

Or you may be pretending to see nothing so as to help prevent the "sheeple" from becoming alarmed.

The cartoon offers a simplistic view of the problems we face and an equally sophomoric palliative that pretends the divisions in our country are the same now as they were in 1961.

If they were, we would be in a much easier to resolve situation than we are.

And more like that.

Yes, but how is our reality different from the dystopian future depicted in the book or film, 1984?

And more like that.

Yes, but how is our reality different from the dystopian future depicted in the book or film, 1984?

The incivility is a minor point.

In the cities and suburbs you are watched almost from the moment you leave your house. Many jurisdictions are considering the deployment of police drones to expand general surveillance. Those using social media are under constant scrutiny. All actions and communications are subject to observation. The equivalent of Newspeak under the guise of political correctness is well under way.

Democrat tax proposals if passed will destroy the middle class and expand the proletariat they've always wanted. The telescreens are possible now, of course, and could be legislated like solar panels are in California, masked as free internet for all.

Half of America is as crazy as prop fruit at a Hawaiian banquet. Crazy things are possible as a matter of course.

Language: A Key Mechanism of Control

Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo

Gingrich's memo, combined with the rise of right-wing outrage radio, taught that political opponents aren't fellow Americans with whom we may disagree. Rather, they are the enemy, bad people, sick, pathetic, treasonous traitors who aren't entitled to civility.

Forum List

Back