CDZ Our Society's Incivility is Due to Our Internet Anonymity

It's difficult to tell whether internet anonymity exacerbates our incivility or exposes it.

Maybe some of both, huh?

Either way, our behaviors are still our responsibility, on or off the internet.

Exposes it. People mean what they say: it's key to believe that. They aren't joking, they aren't using hyperbole.

Language: A Key Mechanism of Control

Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo

Gingrich's memo, combined with the rise of right-wing outrage radio, taught that political opponents aren't fellow Americans with whom we may disagree. Rather, they are the enemy, bad people, sick, pathetic, treasonous traitors who aren't entitled to civility.

Boy, Gingrich had that right, anyway.

He found a fertile field with you. Newt's mission was to use language - his language - to stir negative emotions in you, and to control and aim those emotions.

Gingrich's memo, combined with the rise of right-wing outrage radio, taught that political opponents aren't fellow Americans with whom we may disagree. Rather, they are the enemy, bad people, sick, pathetic, treasonous traitors who aren't entitled to civility.

Yep. And they're still gloating about how the Grinch got it oh-so right.

And then they whine, and whine, and whine about how they are terribly, horribly oppressed following the mere announcement of possible incivility. Compartmentalized brains are a wonder to behold.

And then they whine, and whine, and whine about how they are terribly, horribly oppressed following the mere announcement of possible incivility. Compartmentalized brains are a wonder to behold.

It is a bit revealing.

How civil can one expect things to be when the last candidate for President for the party that is largely out of power is running around screaming "we will be civil again when we control the entire government" and people cheer for that shit?

I think its always been there. People havent just become nasty. The internet has given a voice to these people. People you would avoid on the street and in the pub. Now they are in your home spouting their crap.

But in general things are better than they have ever been. Certainly where I live and across the civilised world. The world gets better although there are bumps on the road.
In 5 or 10 years I wonder how your perception of America will be perceived by those looking for clues to our outlook on the future.

Why America Slept?

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk
America will be better in 10 years. Most of the world will be better.

It took President Obama pretty much his entire two terms to clean up after the mess Bush, the Lesser, left behind.

I think it entirely possible Americans will re-elect Trump.

The damage he does, and is going to do, to the institutions and very foundations of American society and body politic will take considerably longer to clean up.

I, for one, don't think America will be better off 10 years from now in case Trump isn't re-elected, and probably way worse off than today in case he is. Most of the world will be worse off following the instability caused by Trump's undermining and de-legitimization of international institutions and international law. "Incivility" is just a preposterously feeble word to capture the brazen promotion of inhumanity for material or political gains, ranging from exposing Americans to toxic emissions of industry to brutalizing children to send a message to immigrants and his "base". We're likely going to pay for decades for the imbecility.

It took President Obama pretty much his entire two terms to clean up after the mess Bush, the Lesser, left behind.

I think it entirely possible Americans will re-elect Trump.

The damage he does, and is going to do, to the institutions and very foundations of American society and body politic will take considerably longer to clean up.

I, for one, don't think America will be better off 10 years from now in case Trump isn't re-elected, and probably way worse off than today in case he is. Most of the world will be worse off following the instability caused by Trump's undermining and de-legitimization of international institutions and international law. "Incivility" is just a preposterously feeble word to capture the brazen promotion of inhumanity for material or political gains, ranging from exposing Americans to toxic emissions of industry to brutalizing children to send a message to immigrants and his "base". We're likely going to pay for decades for the imbecility.

We may well NEVER recover from the damage Obama did to this country.

It's difficult to tell whether internet anonymity exacerbates our incivility or exposes it.

Maybe some of both, huh?

I roll with some of both, internet anonymity doesn't help, but look what we see on the TV news most nights. A bunch of clowns screaming about something, one way or another. Some idiot holding up a severed, bleeding head of the President, or the insanity we saw during the Kavanaugh hearings. The extremists on both ends of the political spectrum own the airways, you don't see a moderate guy trying to make sense, you see some fool calling for actions that only their fringe wants. Trump doesn't help matters, but neither do others. It's all about emotions rather than common sense and cool logic, fire up your base and get 'em out there in the streets to intimidate the other side.

The only way I see this ending is a 3rd party is created that stands for more civility and walks the walk. Or maybe things turn violent and we have riots and shootings until enough people say enough is enough and we stop electing the wingnuts.

Maybe some of both, huh?

Exposes it. People mean what they say: it's key to believe that. They aren't joking, they aren't using hyperbole.
Yes, and that's probably the most disturbing part of this.

Maybe some of both, huh?

I roll with some of both, internet anonymity doesn't help, but look what we see on the TV news most nights. A bunch of clowns screaming about something, one way or another. Some idiot holding up a severed, bleeding head of the President, or the insanity we saw during the Kavanaugh hearings. The extremists on both ends of the political spectrum own the airways, you don't see a moderate guy trying to make sense, you see some fool calling for actions that only their fringe wants. Trump doesn't help matters, but neither do others. It's all about emotions rather than common sense and cool logic, fire up your base and get 'em out there in the streets to intimidate the other side.

The only way I see this ending is a 3rd party is created that stands for more civility and walks the walk. Or maybe things turn violent and we have riots and shootings until enough people say enough is enough and we stop electing the wingnuts.

The problem is, always has been, and always will be the left. The ONLY reason you here anyone from the left ever mention civility today is when it comes to Trump. It doesn't take but a few minutes to find a Republican calling out Trump , or other conservativews, when they do or say something that is uncivil. But when a Democrat does or says something , do Democrats condemn? Not unless it's something REALLY atrocious like the guy who shot up the Republican baseball practice or something like that. If it's just mean words or other activity they remain silent, or blame Trump. And that's why they hate Trump so much, he plays the dirty game they have been playing for decades and doesn't just go away like Republicans should in their estimation.

Our society's incivility is due to the incivility in our politics & I put that on Trump.

Out of 16 GOP candidates the GOP made the choice to choose the most UNcivil candidate, Trump.

Trump is a political maverick, taking shots at EVERYONE; Democrats, Republicans, intelligence agencies, long standing national & international institutions & traditions, everyone & everything, etc.

Trump has had the effect upon not only the US but the world, that incivility is NOW ACCEPTABLE.

I hope no one is expecting the phenomena known as 'Trump incivility' to go away, disappear, go back into Pandora's box, go back into the genie's bottle, etc., because it is NOT GOING AWAY.

IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE and we can all thank those that have supported & enabled Trump for the paradigm shift in politics that has destroyed civility here in the US & across the planet.

Trump is the modern father of incivility; the destroyer of civility.

The greatest amount of the damage done from this phenomena was via television; NOT from the internet.

Congratulations

Our society's incivility is due to the incivility in our politics & I put that on Trump.

Out of 16 GOP candidates the GOP made the choice to choose the most UNcivil candidate, Trump.

Trump is a political maverick, taking shots at EVERYONE; Democrats, Republicans, intelligence agencies, long standing national & international institutions & traditions, everyone & everything, etc.

Trump has had the effect upon not only the US but the world, that incivility is NOW ACCEPTABLE.

I hope no one is expecting the phenomena known as 'Trump incivility' to go away, disappear, go back into Pandora's box, go back into the genie's bottle, etc., because it is NOT GOING AWAY.

IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE and we can all thank those that have supported & enabled Trump for the paradigm shift in politics that has destroyed civility here in the US & across the planet.

Trump is the modern father of incivility; the destroyer of civility.

The greatest amount of the damage done from this phenomena was via television; NOT from the internet.

Congratulations

Prime example right here.

Uncivil behavior exists on BOTH sides, yet will this poster ever say so? Well yes, but then he'll follow it up with "Trump is so bad that we must respond the way we do" or some other nonsense, failing to even recognize the very real fact that Trump was elected BECAUSE OF HIS BAD BEHAVIOR because conservatives got tired of nominating the nice wimp who got bullied by the left at every turn.

Sure is difficult to try and offer a point of view that is not a total condemnation or considered complete unless riddled with four letter words.
looking for facts, now a lost art.

The internet anonymity is the difference.

Wouldnt you say?

Boy, Gingrich had that right, anyway.
The internet prevents our getting the visual or audible cues about people with whom we disagree.

But when they are using the internet anonymity to slightly program millions of people who dont realize they are being manipulated, then something is out of kilter.

From now on, please do us all a favor.

Just a little inconvenience that will help the rest of us and you, as well.

The favor?

Recite a short mantra before you criticize Conservatives.

The mantra is only four words.

The words?

"I May Be Wrong."

It will save everyone a LOT of time, keystrokes and butt-hurt.

Thanks.

I think its always been there. People havent just become nasty. The internet has given a voice to these people. People you would avoid on the street and in the pub. Now they are in your home spouting their crap.

But in general things are better than they have ever been. Certainly where I live and across the civilised world. The world gets better although there are bumps on the road.
In 5 or 10 years I wonder how your perception of America will be perceived by those looking for clues to our outlook on the future.

Why America Slept?

What we will have to go through to get there is the problem.

Leftists dont think about consequences and Islamists dont care about consequences as long as they win.

Why America Slept?

What we will have to go through to get there is the problem.

Leftists dont think about consequences and Islamists dont care about consequences as long as they win.

You are concerned about incivility yet you seem to be very partisan. You make sweeping statements about consequences which have no foundation. The world will be better because you cant stop progress.

Look back 50 or a hundred years. Nobody would like to live in those eras.

Forum List

Back