Our Founding Fathers included Islam

I want to add this too, to show people that most of the time, even in England, people were being married in their 20s.

Myth 136 Women married very young in the olden days. History Myths Debunked

And another Myth:
Myth #3: Prophet Muhammad married Ayesha when she was underage - See more at: Myth 3 Prophet Muhammad married Ayesha when she was underage Muhammad Fact Check

Underage is a relative term. Hadiths though specify her age of 6 when married, 9 at consumation and moving in with him.

"It is believed on the authority of some Hadith reports that the marriage ceremony (known as nikah, amounting to betrothal) of Aisha with the Holy Prophet Muhammad took place when she was six years of age, and that she joined the Holy Prophet as his wife three years later at the age of nine. We quote below from two such reports in Bukhari.

“It is reported from Aisha that she said: The Prophet entered into marriage with me when I was a girl of six … and at the time [of joining his household] I was a girl of nine years of age.”

“Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed [alone] for two years or so. He married Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consummated that marriage when she was nine years old.” "
Age of Aisha ra at time of marriage
Critics allege that Aisha was just six years old when she was betrothed to Muhammad, himself in his 50s, and only nine when the marriage was consummated. They base this on a saying attributed to Aisha herself (Sahih Bukhari volume 5, book 58, number 234), and the debate on this issue is further complicated by the fact that some Muslims believe this to be a historically accurate account. Although most Muslims would not consider marrying off their nine-year-old daughters, those who accept this saying argue that since the Qur'an states that marriage is void unless entered into by consenting adults, Aisha must have entered puberty early.

They point out that, in seventh-century Arabia, adulthood was defined as the onset of puberty. (This much is true, and was also the case in Europe: five centuries after Muhammad's marriage to Aisha, 33-year-old King John of England married 12-year-old Isabella of Angoulême.) Interestingly, of the many criticisms of Muhammad made at the time by his opponents, none focused on Aisha's age at marriage.
In addition, some modern Muslim scholars have more recently cast doubt on the veracity of the saying, or hadith, used to assert Aisha's young age. In Islam, the hadith literature (sayings of the prophet) is considered secondary to the Qur'an. While the Qur'an is considered to be the verbatim word of God, the hadiths were transmitted over time through a rigorous but not infallible methodology. Taking all known accounts and records of Aisha's age at marriage, estimates of her age range from nine to 19.
The Islamophobic depiction of Muhammad's marriage to Aisha as motivated by misplaced desire fits within a broader Orientalist depiction of Muhammad as a philanderer. This idea dates back to the crusades. According to the academic Kecia Ali: "Accusations of lust and sensuality were a regular feature of medieval attacks on the prophet's character and, by extension, on the authenticity of Islam."
The truth about Muhammad and Aisha Myriam Fran ois-Cerrah Comment is free The Guardian

What a crock. Excusing pedophilia. There are all kinds of human rights violations that are known where Muslims sell their young daughters and/or marry them off at a very young age for the dowry.

Is there a set age for marriage in Islam - islamqa.info
Did you read it?
It's questioning whether she was actually that young?

I have a question...is there a set age for marriage in Christianity?
Does The Bible specify an age?

You are dishonest. I can tell already. It is against the law in the US to marry a child. We are a secular nation. Islam is a complete socioeconomic system. It is not just a religion, it is a way of life. Wake up!

And another Myth:
Myth #3: Prophet Muhammad married Ayesha when she was underage - See more at: Myth 3 Prophet Muhammad married Ayesha when she was underage Muhammad Fact Check

Underage is a relative term. Hadiths though specify her age of 6 when married, 9 at consumation and moving in with him.

"It is believed on the authority of some Hadith reports that the marriage ceremony (known as nikah, amounting to betrothal) of Aisha with the Holy Prophet Muhammad took place when she was six years of age, and that she joined the Holy Prophet as his wife three years later at the age of nine. We quote below from two such reports in Bukhari.

“It is reported from Aisha that she said: The Prophet entered into marriage with me when I was a girl of six … and at the time [of joining his household] I was a girl of nine years of age.”

“Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed [alone] for two years or so. He married Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consummated that marriage when she was nine years old.” "
Critics allege that Aisha was just six years old when she was betrothed to Muhammad, himself in his 50s, and only nine when the marriage was consummated. They base this on a saying attributed to Aisha herself (Sahih Bukhari volume 5, book 58, number 234), and the debate on this issue is further complicated by the fact that some Muslims believe this to be a historically accurate account. Although most Muslims would not consider marrying off their nine-year-old daughters, those who accept this saying argue that since the Qur'an states that marriage is void unless entered into by consenting adults, Aisha must have entered puberty early.

They point out that, in seventh-century Arabia, adulthood was defined as the onset of puberty. (This much is true, and was also the case in Europe: five centuries after Muhammad's marriage to Aisha, 33-year-old King John of England married 12-year-old Isabella of Angoulême.) Interestingly, of the many criticisms of Muhammad made at the time by his opponents, none focused on Aisha's age at marriage.
In addition, some modern Muslim scholars have more recently cast doubt on the veracity of the saying, or hadith, used to assert Aisha's young age. In Islam, the hadith literature (sayings of the prophet) is considered secondary to the Qur'an. While the Qur'an is considered to be the verbatim word of God, the hadiths were transmitted over time through a rigorous but not infallible methodology. Taking all known accounts and records of Aisha's age at marriage, estimates of her age range from nine to 19.
The Islamophobic depiction of Muhammad's marriage to Aisha as motivated by misplaced desire fits within a broader Orientalist depiction of Muhammad as a philanderer. This idea dates back to the crusades. According to the academic Kecia Ali: "Accusations of lust and sensuality were a regular feature of medieval attacks on the prophet's character and, by extension, on the authenticity of Islam."
The truth about Muhammad and Aisha Myriam Fran ois-Cerrah Comment is free The Guardian

What a crock. Excusing pedophilia. There are all kinds of human rights violations that are known where Muslims sell their young daughters and/or marry them off at a very young age for the dowry.

Did you read it?

You are dishonest. I can tell already. It is against the law in the US to marry a child. We are a secular nation. Islam is a complete socioeconomic system. It is not just a religion, it is a way of life. Wake up!
Do you know what the most populous Islamic nation on earth is?
Indonesia.

By law their minimum age of marriage for a woman is 16.
Some states in the US allow marriage younger than that.

Did you read it?

Indonesia.

Post links please.

And another Myth:

Did you read it?

I'm not sure what you're saying about Islam here?
Are you suggesting that Muslims can't exist in a secular society?

Did you read it?

Indonesia.

Post links please.
I'm disappointed you wouldn't just believe me!
Both foreigner and Indonesian must meet the following requirements and produce the following documents:

• If female, be 16 years or older; if male, be 19 years or older
Legal Requirements for Marriage in Indonesia Indonesia

its obvious the Europe and England are importing large numbers of muslims 'ibd' Stop the importation and deal with indigenous criminals . Pretty obvious 'ibd' , or don't Europe and England have bigger problems than the USA at least for the next generation or so . Americans like me will watch what happens to the 'euros' , English , swedes , finns , chechneyans , Chinese and their weegars , etc , etc .

The Chechnyans weren't imported. In fact, they have a long history in that region. They were brutally treated by the Soviets and many were forceably transplanted to Siberia during Stalins massive and punative population transfers. During the Ukraine famine, they took in thousands of starving Ukrainians, and provided food and shelter despite threats from the Soviet Regime. Their fight against the Soviets and now the Russian Federation is certainly understandable.

The Chinese Uyghurs have similar ancient history. They were conquored by the Chinese, much like the Tibetans and like the Tibetans the Chinese attempted to erradicate their culture and religion.

Neither of those are "imported" and many of the issues involving them are related to attempts to regain autonomy, retain their culture and language. What is wrong with that?

And another Myth:

Do any religions have set marriage ages? I always figured that comes from the governments.

Yes they do. Islam does. Islam is not just a religion, it is a sociopolitical belief system.

Where?

Thomas Jefferson didn't just own a Quran -- he engaged with Islam and fought to ensure the rights of Muslims

At a time when most Americans were uninformed, misinformed, or simply afraid of Islam, Thomas Jefferson imagined Muslims as future citizens of his new nation. His engagement with the faith began with the purchase of a Qur’an eleven years before he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson’s Qur’an survives still in the Library of Congress, serving as a symbol of his and early America’s complex relationship with Islam and its adherents. That relationship remains of signal importance to this day.

Our Founding Fathers included Islam - Salon.com

Of course Batshit, he loved you so much he hung your scummy asses from the yard arm of the USS Philadelphia.

Retard

The Thomas Jefferson Papers - America and the Barbary Pirates - American Memory from the Library of Congress

right about the chechens , probably the same thing with the troublemaking Chinese weegars [sp] . Course the one thing they have in common is 'islam' .

Do any religions have set marriage ages? I always figured that comes from the governments.

Yes they do. Islam does. Islam is not just a religion, it is a sociopolitical belief system.

Where?

What do you mean where? According to Islamic law, girls can be married as soon as they menstruate.

And another Myth:

Did you read it?

Yes, we are a secular nation (thank God!) - jk :D

An interesting look at minimum ages for marriage: Minimum Legal Age to Marry - Women
It's actually a bit surprising.

No.
Of course, you could have looked that up yourself.

No need, I knew you were lying - which is why I pointed it out.

The Supreme Court has a mural with historical figures, Muhammad is one of over a dozen figures repented.

scotus3.jpg

Where's Waldo?

Did you read it?

Indonesia.

Post links please.
I'm disappointed you wouldn't just believe me!
Both foreigner and Indonesian must meet the following requirements and produce the following documents:

• If female, be 16 years or older; if male, be 19 years or older
Legal Requirements for Marriage in Indonesia Indonesia

You made several claims in your post, including that children under 16 years old can marry in some states in the US. You should link to that too. I don't believe there are any states that allow marriage under the age of 16, and if you were to delve in and read the actual laws, you would see that there are qualifications that must be met even for a 16 year old to marry.

Where?

What do you mean where? According to Islamic law, girls can be married as soon as they menstruate.

Which is different from other religions how?

According to the Talmud: The minimum age for marriage under Jewish law is 13 for boys, 12 for girls; however, the kiddushin can take place before that, and often did in medieval times. Which correlates roughly to puberty.

The Bible has no specific commands regarding minimum ages though child marriages abound.

Forum List

Back