Our Founding Fathers included Islam

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Thomas Jefferson didn't just own a Quran -- he engaged with Islam and fought to ensure the rights of Muslims

At a time when most Americans were uninformed, misinformed, or simply afraid of Islam, Thomas Jefferson imagined Muslims as future citizens of his new nation. His engagement with the faith began with the purchase of a Qur’an eleven years before he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson’s Qur’an survives still in the Library of Congress, serving as a symbol of his and early America’s complex relationship with Islam and its adherents. That relationship remains of signal importance to this day.

Our Founding Fathers included Islam - Salon.com

Thomas Jefferson didn't just own a Quran -- he engaged with Islam and fought to ensure the rights of Muslims

At a time when most Americans were uninformed, misinformed, or simply afraid of Islam, Thomas Jefferson imagined Muslims as future citizens of his new nation. His engagement with the faith began with the purchase of a Qur’an eleven years before he wrote the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson’s Qur’an survives still in the Library of Congress, serving as a symbol of his and early America’s complex relationship with Islam and its adherents. That relationship remains of signal importance to this day.

I think your a muslim not really an atheist at all. Certainly no Jew

I own a copy of the Koran, too. I also own a KJ bible, a Mormon bible, some books on Buddhism, Taoism, etc.

So what? Jefferson owned all kinds of books. Oening a Koran didn't seem to inhibit Jefferson any from declaring war on Muslim pirates raiding American ships.

Islam and Muslims played zero role in the founding of this nation.
Even after 239 years Islam has had an incredibly minimal impact, other than a negative impact, on this nation.

Yes, Islam was included by our Founding Fathers, BUT the CIA had a COVER UP going and NO ONE has tried a Freedom of Information Act about it!... Proof of Islam at the Founding!!!!

American-History-with-B-Hussein-Obama.jpg

I own a copy of the Koran, too. I also own a KJ bible, a Mormon bible, some books on Buddhism, Taoism, etc.

So what? Jefferson owned all kinds of books. Oening a Koran didn't seem to inhibit Jefferson any from declaring war on Muslim pirates raiding American ships.

Pirates are pirates. I don't think anyone cares much what their religion is.

The Supreme Court has an image of Muhammed on its wall.

Aside from overstating the impact... was this a news flash to anyone? Jefferson had all kinds of books about all kinds of religions. And I wager most know Jefferson was not an orthodox Christian, given he created his own personal edited 'bible'. Which the Bible itself clearly prohibits.

I have my own copy of the Qur'an. That doesn't mean much.

That's a fascinating article - I had no idea...thanks for posting that :)

Aside from overstating the impact... was this a news flash to anyone? Jefferson had all kinds of books about all kinds of religions. And I wager most know Jefferson was not an orthodox Christian, given he created his own personal edited 'bible'. Which the Bible itself clearly prohibits.

I have my own copy of the Qur'an. That doesn't mean much.

Yes, it was. Not that he had a Quran, but that rights for Muslims were an early test case for religious pluralism in our country that was originally invisioned as primarily Protestant. Muslims, Jews, and Catholics were outside that pale. It's an interesting read.

good comment 'roadrunner' islam , hiv , herpes and just recently the gov added EBOLA . All woven into American society .

and the Barbary pirates , I think that they did their piracy from their base in the 'Barbary states' which I think were Islamic sharia states Coyote . I know that I care what the religion of the Barbary pirates was / is .

Since when is speaking the truth un-Jewish?

Truth about what? this nutjob who is not Jewish, loves islam and slams Christians constantly.Who cares if Jefferson had a koran really? Stupid thread and islam had absolutely nothing to do with the founding of this country so the point of thread is what again? Maybe Leftist hate Christians but love islam:uhoh3: We even have the muslim mouthpiece from CAIR here loving the thread :uhh:

and the Barbary pirates , I think that they did their piracy from their base in the 'Barbary states' which I think were Islamic sharia states Coyote . I know that I care what the religion of the Barbary pirates was / is .

I don't. Pirating is an old and established "profession". Just check this on American Pirates in the Atlantic: On the Water - Living in the Atlantic World 1450-1800 Pirates in the Atlantic World What religion was Edward Teach?

Do you care what religion those Atlantic pirates were?

I don't.

Jews owned the hulls, pirates were multicultural, the Barbary States were the refuge.

Truth about what? this nutjob who is not Jewish, loves islam and slams Christians constantly.Who cares if Jefferson had a koran really? Stupid thread and islam had absolutely nothing to do with the founding of this country so the point of thread is what again? Maybe Leftist hate Christians but love islam:uhoh3: We even have the muslim mouthpiece from CAIR here loving the thread :uhh:

What is there in Judaism that says you must hate Islam? Or must not slam Christianity? Or that there must be a lockstep opinion? I'll say this for Delta - he's an equal opportunity slammer and supporter, I've certainly seen him slam Islam as well as support it depending on the points being made. And that makes him NOT Jewish? Really now.

Forum List

Back