Our crumbling infrastructure

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Republicans proposed several amendments to the bill directed at increasing the share of tax cuts and downsizing spending as well as decreasing the overall price.[13] President Obama and Senate Democrats hinted that they would be willing to compromise on Republican suggestions to increase infrastructure spending and to double the housing tax credit proposed from $7,500 to $15,000 and expand its application to all home buyers, not just first-time buyers.[14] Other considered amendments included the Freedom Act of 2009, an amendment proposed by Senate Finance Committee members Maria Cantwell (D) and Orrin Hatch (R) to include tax incentives for plug-in electric vehicles[15] and an amendment proposed by Jim DeMint (R) to remove language from the bill that would prohibit funds which would be "used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission".[16]

Last edited:
Why exactly is the government responsible for the utlities? I mean originally they were private sector. What's stopping it from returning to the private sector?

Such a basic concept.
I would prefer riding a bike on a dirt path for a few years as opposed to having to pump my own water.
But a new bike path will get someone votes....running water is taken for granted.

That is a very very good point. Most people dont know or care how water gets to thier house, how power gets to thier house, how thier sewage gets removed from thier house, how thier roads are maintained, etc. They only care when something goes wrong with one of these things, and then they only really care until it gets fixed.

The issue of water pipes is not new. The nature of the system really precludes you from just ripping up the ground every 50 years and replacing all the pipe. The key is to use the strongest materials possible when building, and to set up your system in such a way that it is easy to repair/replace sections without screwing up most of the rest of the system.

Infrastructure repair is never as sexy as education (THINK OF THE CHILDREN), welfare state items (THINK OF THE POOR), or pet projects like bike lanes and such (THINK OF THE HIPSTERS). The real sad fact is that preventative maintenance is a cost that is the first thing cut when budgets get tight, resulting in more cost later down the road.

The real sad thing is that work to fix/upgrade infrastructure is one of the more cost effective things one can do with government money, as the wealth gets spread to all levels of society, from contruction workers, to engineers, to equipment manufactuerers.

lol.

I recall when my refrigerator died on me.
My wife went to the local appliance store and bought a new one and had it delivered that day while I was at work.
She called me and asked me if I was excited to come home to a new refirgerator.
I was like...huh? Not one thing in my life has changed for the better with the purchase of a new refirgerator.
All it did was eliminate the unexpected inconvenience of not having one for a few hours.

This is a problem for Americans, because we are so used to government providing all our services we begin to take them for granted.

I would add, that a lot of that piping might also have lead in it. And that anyone thinking Obama's stimulus isn't including heavy construction and equiptment, needs a head exam. The feds gave the money to the states for specific improvements, and here in California each area of stimulus is marked by big signs saying so. I guess for retards who are lost in a daze and come to BBs making wild ass claims............:lol:

Don't these tasks fall to the states that the facilities reside in?

I would think so.

Revenue sharing.

The FEDs assist the states which then assist the local communities.

Or in some cases some kinds of repairs and upgrades the local communities get grants directly from the FEDS.

Here in my little town about twenty years ago, I'm informed, they replaced some of our original water main system's oldest pipes.

They were made of WOOD, and had been servicing our town for nearly a century.

What do you want to bet that what they replaced those log-pipes with won't last as long?

Amazingly enough we still use wood pipes out here in the west as well. Some of them are over 130 years old and are still working fine.

Never knew you needed shovels to make signs.

stimulussigns.jpg

You do need a shovel to dig the hole for the sign post.

:p

I would think so.

Revenue sharing.

The FEDs assist the states which then assist the local communities.

Or in some cases some kinds of repairs and upgrades the local communities get grants directly from the FEDS.

Here in my little town about twenty years ago, I'm informed, they replaced some of our original water main system's oldest pipes.

They were made of WOOD, and had been servicing our town for nearly a century.

What do you want to bet that what they replaced those log-pipes with won't last as long?

Amazingly enough we still use wood pipes out here in the west as well. Some of them are over 130 years old and are still working fine.

I would like to see a hardened glass piping system. That would cut down on plastics and overuse of oil. Plus, we have plenty of sand to make glass from.

Why exactly is the government responsible for the utlities? I mean originally they were private sector. What's stopping it from returning to the private sector?

National Security.

Unlike the citizens of Quahog, you need to actually articulate arguments to me.

May be amusing and in some cases, sadly, true, but it isnt enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh look, a smug comment. How...different

Smug or not, she's correct. This is exactly what the stimulus funds should have been used for. In fact, we were made to believe that this was precisely what they were going to be used for. Instead we sent a million dollars to Africa to teach men how to properly wash their penises.

Well, this is a canaard. We were made to believe that they were going to be used on some infrastructure projects, and they were used for some infrastructure projects.

Your statement implies "we were made to believe it was supposed to be 100% for infrastructure, and 100% of infrastructure will be fixed."

I wasn't made to believe that. Maybe you were. I wasn't.

I guess, as usual, you weren't listening to what was being said. I highlighted the relevent section as you seem to lack aural acuity.

What is the Act supposed to do?

The purposes of the act are to:

Preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
Assist those most impacted by the recession.
Provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
Invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits. Stabilize state and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reduction in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.
What are stimulus funds?

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is informally referred to as the federal stimulus plan. The funds that have been set aside are designed to jump-start the economy, promoting economic recovery and growth.

Most of the stimulus money will be distributed through the states. This includes money that the states will get to divide, as they want, but some will devolve to local governments by formula. Some money is being distributed on a regional basis through metropolitan planning organizations.

Stimulus Funds

Most Americans have been thoroughly propagandized into believing that Obama is responsible for all that is wrong with America. They voted accordingly in the last election. They deserve the results of willfully voting against their own best interests..again. Obama failing is all most Americans are concerned about. If the country fails ..so be it.

Smug or not, she's correct. This is exactly what the stimulus funds should have been used for. In fact, we were made to believe that this was precisely what they were going to be used for. Instead we sent a million dollars to Africa to teach men how to properly wash their penises.

Well, this is a canaard. We were made to believe that they were going to be used on some infrastructure projects, and they were used for some infrastructure projects.

Your statement implies "we were made to believe it was supposed to be 100% for infrastructure, and 100% of infrastructure will be fixed."

I wasn't made to believe that. Maybe you were. I wasn't.

I guess, as usual, you weren't listening to what was being said. I highlighted the relevent section as you seem to lack aural acuity.

What is the Act supposed to do?

The purposes of the act are to:

Preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
Assist those most impacted by the recession.
Provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
Invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits. Stabilize state and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reduction in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.
What are stimulus funds?

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is informally referred to as the federal stimulus plan. The funds that have been set aside are designed to jump-start the economy, promoting economic recovery and growth.

Most of the stimulus money will be distributed through the states. This includes money that the states will get to divide, as they want, but some will devolve to local governments by formula. Some money is being distributed on a regional basis through metropolitan planning organizations.

Stimulus Funds

You must not have read and interpreted my post correctly.

You do need a shovel to dig the hole for the sign post.

:p

Nah, that is the auger's power job. There is very little hands on digging these days, small projects, or getting a specific spot the motorized shovel can't get. The entire construction industry has been updated to take the strain off the workers back, get more accomplished.

I have built a lot a tanks for oil/water/etc. back in the 70's. We used to heave staging boards up 12 feet & out 8 feet to a man up above you on the staging, as the tank wall went upward. Now days they have a plank device the crane uses, lifts all 3 staging boards and sets them on the next outrights above you. No more back injuries or men falling from that job.

National Security.

It is a national security issue because Americans can die without water, or power. Like the plague or polio, the government will step in to insure Americans safety. Gov. puts fluoride in water. They build massive water aqueducts to move water to LA.

For your question (a good one), we have seen big oil, when left to their own devices, overcharge US soldiers fuels in Iraq, and damn near bankrupt America, throwing thousands out of jobs, shutting down businesses, and closing banks, all because they said, our stockholders shouldn't be made to suffer because we are selling less fuel. The economy, hinged to oil is a National Security issue as well.

What will happen when big oil opposes a war because the win means we will get billions of tons of uranium to run our nuclear cars on? So they shut down the US military. That is a National Security issue. Or when they decide to gouge US citizens for the war and we can't afford it?

IMO all utilities should be under government control (not regulation), because there is no loyalty from US corporations, most of which are owned by foreigners who control your life.

National Security.

It is a national security issue because Americans can die without water, or power. Like the plague or polio, the government will step in to insure Americans safety. Gov. puts fluoride in water. They build massive water aqueducts to move water to LA.

For your question (a good one), we have seen big oil, when left to their own devices, overcharge US soldiers fuels in Iraq, and damn near bankrupt America, throwing thousands out of jobs, shutting down businesses, and closing banks, all because they said, our stockholders shouldn't be made to suffer because we are selling less fuel. The economy, hinged to oil is a National Security issue as well.

What will happen when big oil opposes a war because the win means we will get billions of tons of uranium to run our nuclear cars on? So they shut down the US military. That is a National Security issue. Or when they decide to gouge US citizens for the war and we can't afford it?

IMO all utilities should be under government control (not regulation), because there is no loyalty from US corporations, most of which are owned by foreigners who control your life.

They can die without food, medicine, shelter, transportation, etc. as well. Oh wait, some are advocating nationalizing these.. my bad.

I was actually for infrastructure repair. Too bad that 800 billion dollars wasn't used for crumbling highways, bridges. Turned out to be just more govt waste. Same as Bush's 300B stimulus plan.

I was actually for infrastructure repair. Too bad that 800 billion dollars wasn't used for crumbling highways, bridges. Turned out to be just more govt waste. Same as Bush's 300B stimulus plan.

Ever think to look if any roads and bridges were worked on before saying this, though?

Ever think to look if any roads and bridges were worked on before saying this, though?

Sure, I've seen some local projects, even state projects. However, if the full amount had been used on a national level to upgrade our highway system and bridges, we could have seen some good use of our dollars. Just didn't happen though. Never does.

No, rescind all the tax cuts. And close all the loopholes that allows people to offshore income.

You cannot pay the debt and bring the costs down just by spending cuts. Particularly when our infrastructure upon which our businesses and homes are dependent on are crumbling.

This is the reality that the Conservatives ignore. The conservatives, Eisenhower Republicans, were the architects of our Interstate System. The Conservatives are the architects of it's destruction.

I got a novel idear. Let's let ALL the people who depend on "infrastructure" pay Federal Income Tax" no breaks, no give aways, no rebate.. that'll fix things and balance the budget.

City water mains should be the responsibility of the local community, not the Federal government. You folks back in Hoboken or Topeka or Phoenix should be responsible for your water mains and should not be expected to also fix a broken main in Albuquerque.

And maybe if the Federal government didn't take so much of the people's money, siphon off a huge percentage to finance the federal bureaucracy, and then return a pittance or IOU to the states, the states and cities would be able to pass the necessary bond issues to take care of their own infrastructure needs.

And yes, all Americans, not just some Americans, should be responsible for a share in that.

Forum List

Back