Online Purchases Soon To Be Taxed Nationwide...

Did you read the story and discover that it's the BIG RETAILERS that are in favor of this?

Sheeeeesh!

So what? They are right. People are engaged in massive tax cheating. That needs to stop.

How is it tax cheating? If I live in California and take a vacation in Florida do I have to pay taxes on anything I buy there when I go home? Of course not. The problem here is that states want to tap into the revenue of the internet, so they pass absurd laws that people are supposed to pay taxes on things that are not sold in their state. Now Congress wants to let them set up border stations and search people to make sure they pay taxes on everything that enters the state, no matter where it is from.

that might make sense to a crazy person, but it doesn't to me.

Online and brick and mortar business must collect state tax on ONLY out of state transaction.

Any in state transactions are up to the purchaser to report to the state department of revenue...

You got that exactly backwards.

You must have missed this:

Ok, Care...you are a very honest debater, so if there is no advantage, let's turn the law around.

I did indeed. My fault.

False! Brick and mortar business are NOT required to collect sales tax for out-of-state transactions.

Oh really now? So when someone from NH walks into my store in Vermont I don't have to charge them sales tax? I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Not if you ship that product to their New Hampshire residence. Wow, you really are ignorant for a guy that says he owns a retail establishment.

(1) I don't own a retail establishment

(2) So, in response to internet sales not being taxed, business owners could compete by not doing sales in store but, instead, shipping the sale to an out-of-state address that is not part of the unified sales tax compact? And this, in your mind, is equal treatment?

OK Then.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

If you, and I mean you personally, could save money and avoid paying sales tax would you?

That is a rhetorical question, we know the answer is yes.

So the online retailer has an advantage over the brick and mortar business.

Now, you say, "oh, but, if you order from an online store in your own state, that business must charge you state sales tax."

Then I ask, "If you are ordering online, and two online stores have the same item at the same price with the same shipping cost and time, but one will charge you tax because you are in the same state, and the other one will not...which one has the advantage for you business ?"

And then you either tell the truth or lie.
Let's say I am on vacation visiting Florida, and I go shopping and buy a widget or two. If the store ships goods, I tell them at the register that I am from out of State and I would like my 2 widgets shipped to my home in Maine....The cashier then enters in a tax exempt key, my purchases are not charged florida State Sales tax, and I am responsible for claiming this purchase and paying sales tax on the item when doing my State Income tax return.

Sooooo, THE SAME PROCEDURE APPLIES, when purchasing in a brick and mortar store Missourian....the EXACT SAME procedure and tax requirements. Any citizen operating a store within one State, is ONLY responsible for collecting sales taxes on items that stay within the State or are from Florida Citizens....if the purchaser is from another State and has the items at the time of purchased shipped to their State, then the cashier, under Law, is not required to collect the sales taxes on that item from that person's state, nor for the Sate they operate in, when different.

So you are misinformed on this imho....

Ok, Care...you are a very honest debater, so if there is no advantage, let's turn the law around.

Online and brick and mortar business must collect state tax on ONLY out of state transaction.

Any in state transactions are up to the purchaser to report to the state department of revenue...(and therefore state sale tax can be easily avoided) whether the purchase is made online or at a brick and mortar store.

Now the lion's share of the brick and mortar businesses become for all intents and purposes, tax free....while conversely, the majority of online sales are more highly taxed.

Would that make it easier, or more difficult for an online business?

Even though the law appears evenly applied, would it not give an advantage to the brick and mortar store?

(Although I addressed this to Care, it is open to anyone for comment)
I understand that this gives the opportunity for the individual buying a great deal online to avoid state sales taxes, if there are any in that State....

But why IS THIS MY PROBLEM....?

WHY should I have to take time away from my business, which there is not enough time already to accomplish all that needs to be done, to collect ANOTHER 49 STATE'S SALES TAX FOR THEM, if I don't operate in that State? I have absolutely no stake in that State or what the heck these taxes are spent on in that State or any of that........? We are not talking about me being required to collect some sort of FEDERAL Sales tax....that goes in to the kitty for all States...

You are asking me to collect Sales taxes for all other 49 States that I am not even a citizen of, for goodness sakes! This has GOT to be unconstitutional!

Yes, I recognize States have a problem and they need more taxes...well, they need to change with the times WITHIN THEIR OWN JURISDICTION within their own State, and change their own tax codes to collect taxes differently....

And as said, NONE of that should be or is, my problem, as a Maine citizen....only Maine is my problem....you all figure out your own problems without trying to pull little ole me, from another State, in to it!

Care

Last edited:
Doesn't this fall in line with a consumption tax that many one the right want?

I love the way you through around stupid ideas and expect me to fall over because I am supposed to agree with other people. My guess is that the idiots that want a VAT also support this, I oppose both.

Brick and Mortar stores have the option of selling their goods online, it's called Free Enterprise. If your business fails because you aren't keeping up with what works, such is the unfairness that is life.

So the government should be using the tax code to incentivize online sales?

OK then tv. You keep preaching free markets and supporting government efforts to make them less balanced. Nice effort.

Not at all, I think Government should stay the hell out of the way, and let businesses succeed, or fail... Whichever the market dictates.
Yet here you are, arguing that the government should hand out preferential treatment to one type of business over another using the tax code.

Why should brick and mortar stores be at a competitive disadvantage and online retailers get preferential treatment from the government?

Why should a brick and mortar store get extra help from the government because it pays less taxes than a brick and mortar store in California?

Get your head out of your ass and use it to think for once in your life.

No one ever planned for the internet to be a tax free haven forever, the question came up first thing when the commercial net was getting started and it was decided that to encourage the growth of this new sector that they would hold off a while. I think things are pretty well established by now.

The expert in all things stupid proves his ability to make blanket statements remains unparallelled.

Strange thing, Clinton actually signed a trade agreement that says the exact opposite of what you just claimed.

Business | U.S., Japan Sign Agreement To Keep The Internet Tax-Free -- Clinton Praises Country's Economic Plans At Group Of 8 Summit | Seattle Times Newspaper

If that were to be the case, it would cause serious financial harm to smaller businesses. Imagine having to deal with 50 different state tax laws and thousands of different local sales tax laws, sort them ALL out at the point of sale, collect the appropriate tax and distribute it to the appropriate taxing authority. That would END smaller operations ensuring only the largest corporations could comply. An America with nothing but WalMart-like operations, wonderful.

By the same measure, requiring online retailers to collect taxes in this manner is ridiculous and will end small online business. An America with nothing but Amazon-sized operations, wonderful.

We collect plenty of tax revenue. Spending is the problem. Killing businesses in an effort to allow government to spend more is not wise policy, IMO.

Then, for out of State purchases, I am not required to charge them sales tax, HOWEVER if their State tax code is written as Maine's, if I buy something from another State and did not pay taxes required from that State or taxes required from My State Sales tax, then when I filed my State Income taxes for Maine, there was a slot for me to write in all of my out of State purchases that I needed to pay sales taxes on....and they collect it in that manner.

So, of the 620,000 residents of Vermont how many do you think write their out of state purchases on their taxes and pay the tax?

Hint: 1, the person running for Governor.

SO NO ONE is being "favored" under the law....as far as businesses on line vs small businesses in town.
No, the business that doesn't have to collect the tax is clearly being favored.

Not true. If the brick & mortar retailer mails the product out of state, no sales tax is collected. It must be paid by the buyer.

Not true. If the online retailer mails the product in state, they must collect sales tax. If they mail it out of state, no sales tax is collected and it must be paid by the buyer, just like with brick & mortar establishments.

So I ask again, where is the advantage?

Funny, I was going to ask you the same question...

Incorrect again. I pay my taxes, all of them, including any sales tax. If you are in violation of the law, that's your problem, not mine. Of course, avoiding paying taxes LEGALLY is a different cup of tea. And yes, my accountants look to keep my tax liability as low as the law allows. Next.

So the online retailer has an advantage over the brick and mortar business
An online retailer "may" very well have an advantage with regard to their distribution channel. It depends on the product or service being sold. However, as I've stated with specificity, there is NO advantage with regard to the collection of taxes.

Then I ask, "If you are ordering online, and two online stores have the same item at the same price with the same shipping cost and time, but one will charge you tax because you are in the same state, and the other one will not...which one has the advantage for you business ?"
As the CEO of two corporations, I have a fiduciary duty to pay all applicable taxes. Therefore, in your bullshit example, it would make zero difference which retailer got the sale for my business. Either way, the taxes will be paid. Again, if you're avoiding taxes, that's your problem and one you probably should not be talking about in an online forum. Good luck with that.

I knew you would lie.

Your argument in this post http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...oon-to-be-taxed-nationwide-4.html#post5635509...

"Looking at the bigger picture, why in the heck would you want the government to collect yet MORE money from the people? Not enough government spending going on these days?"

...reveals truth behind your position.

So many things beings said are just False.

I have an online Store, and I have to follow the State rules of Maine and TAX anyone buying from my shop that lives in Maine. So, I DO COMPETE on a level playing field with the small local shops, many of whom also have their own online business as well.

So, NO ONE gets away with not "paying" taxes in my example above.

Then, for out of State purchases, I am not required to charge them sales tax, HOWEVER if their State tax code is written as Maine's, if I buy something from another State and did not pay taxes required from that State or taxes required from My State Sales tax, then when I filed my State Income taxes for Maine, there was a slot for me to write in all of my out of State purchases that I needed to pay sales taxes on....and they collect it in that manner.

SO NO ONE is being "favored" under the law....as far as businesses on line vs small businesses in town.

This is CLEARLY A PUSH FROM BIG BUSINESS to put the small businesses OUT OF BUSINESS....mom and pops wasn't enough for them, they now have to get the mom and pops online too....

If there is a big business that operates in your State but not in any other states, then with their online business, such as LLBean here in Maine, sales tax is charged for those in Maine, but all other states are not their problem to handle, and SHOULD NOT BE....SINCE they do not operate in those States with a brick and mortar business or warehouse....

Why should I be forced to collect sales taxes from my customers for the State of California? I don't live there? I don't operate there? I am not a California citizen....what right does THAT State have to tell me to have to collect their sales tax for them when I don't even operate or have even a big toe, in their State?

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Exactly, it is just another attempt by big business to protect themselves from competitive small businesses. Funny how all the anti business idiots join with all the big business monopoly types when it comes to government making regulations and passing taxes.

Oh really now? So when someone from NH walks into my store in Vermont I don't have to charge them sales tax? I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Not if you ship that product to their New Hampshire residence. Wow, you really are ignorant for a guy that says he owns a retail establishment.

(2) So, in response to internet sales not being taxed, business owners could compete by not doing sales in store but, instead, shipping the sale to an out-of-state address that is not part of the unified sales tax compact? And this, in your mind, is equal treatment?

OK Then.

Not a deep thinker are you? First, internet sales are taxed in the state in which the online business is domiciled. Same for brick&mortar. So please stop lying. Second, brick&mortar operations are free to ship their products out of state and avoid collecting sales tax, just like internet businesses.

Of course, customers of both operations would face shipping charges, one reason why many choose to buy locally and pay the sales tax.

So many things beings said are just False.

I have an online Store, and I have to follow the State rules of Maine and TAX anyone buying from my shop that lives in Maine. So, I DO COMPETE on a level playing field with the small local shops, many of whom also have their own online business as well.

So, NO ONE gets away with not "paying" taxes in my example above.

This is CLEARLY A PUSH FROM BIG BUSINESS to put the small businesses OUT OF BUSINESS....mom and pops wasn't enough for them, they now have to get the mom and pops online too....

If there is a big business that operates in your State but not in any other states, then with their online business, such as LLBean here in Maine, sales tax is charged for those in Maine, but all other states are not their problem to handle, and SHOULD NOT BE....SINCE they do not operate in those States with a brick and mortar business or warehouse....

Why should I be forced to collect sales taxes from my customers for the State of California? I don't live there? I don't operate there? I am not a California citizen....what right does THAT State have to tell me to have to collect their sales tax for them when I don't even operate or have even a big toe, in their State?
Golly, you sound like one o' them thar "libertarian" guys we been hearing so much about lately. ;)

Libertarians are made by the government.

Why should brick and mortar stores be at a competitive disadvantage and online retailers get preferential treatment from the government?

Why should a brick and mortar store get extra help from the government because it pays less taxes than a brick and mortar store in California?

What in the world does this mean?
It means that lots and lots of people near state borders which have differing tax policies (i.e Minnesota/Wisconsin and Washington/Idaho/Oregon) physically cross the state borders to avoid taxes every day of the week....The concept for online purchasing is the same.

Why are you pimping for huge outfits like Amazon and against the small online retailer?

Not true. If the brick & mortar retailer mails the product out of state, no sales tax is collected. It must be paid by the buyer.

Not true. If the online retailer mails the product in state, they must collect sales tax. If they mail it out of state, no sales tax is collected and it must be paid by the buyer, just like with brick & mortar establishments.

So I ask again, where is the advantage?

Funny, I was going to ask you the same question...

Incorrect again. I pay my taxes, all of them, including any sales tax. If you are in violation of the law, that's your problem, not mine. Of course, avoiding paying taxes LEGALLY is a different cup of tea. And yes, my accountants look to keep my tax liability as low as the law allows. Next.

So the online retailer has an advantage over the brick and mortar business
An online retailer "may" very well have an advantage with regard to their distribution channel. It depends on the product or service being sold. However, as I've stated with specificity, there is NO advantage with regard to the collection of taxes.

As the CEO of two corporations, I have a fiduciary duty to pay all applicable taxes. Therefore, in your bullshit example, it would make zero difference which retailer got the sale for my business. Either way, the taxes will be paid. Again, if you're avoiding taxes, that's your problem and one you probably should not be talking about in an online forum. Good luck with that.

Maybe he just wants the government to collect other people's taxes.

OK Then.

Not a deep thinker are you?

Oh, you really got me there smart guy! I bet your ex-wife is proud.

First, internet sales are taxed in the state in which the online business is domiciled. Same for brick&mortar. So please stop lying. Second, brick&mortar operations are free to ship their products out of state and avoid collecting sales tax, just like internet businesses.

So, your answer to preferential treatment of items shipped out of state is to...

Continue to provide preferential treatment for items shipped out of state, primarily favoring businesses that do online sales instead of in-store sales?

OK then.

Forum List

Back