One of my dogs just died.

She had been sick for a couple days, I knew it was coming but I sure wish she had recovered. She was about 12 or 13 years old. I got her from someone else so no idea when she was born exactly, She had been with us 11 years. I will miss her, she was shy and wouldn't come to you, you had to sit in a chair and let your hand down and she would come up to your hand to be petted.

Now my depression will be bad for a few days.

The loss of a loving pup is rough, remember you were her human.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved

Regards from Rosie

>

Bless you Gunny. Been around for a few years so I've lost members of the family also.

Think not of the dog you lost...

Think instead of the puppy you brought home...

Think instead of the walks around the neighborhood...

Think instead of the games of fetch and catch...

Think instead of no matter how rough the day was, that when you got home there was someone their that shared their unconditional love...

Keep instead those memories and the knowledge that your loved one had a fine home with someone that cared for them and loved them.

When you are ready go to the SPCA and provide that same home to another less fortunate animal. It dosen't have to be a puppy, we've got an SPCA just down the road. Lots of moving families in and out (high military population) so with a little patience it's often easy to find a surrender dog that a year or two old and past the puppy stage. They need homes also.

>>>>

Last edited:
She had been sick for a couple days, I knew it was coming but I sure wish she had recovered. She was about 12 or 13 years old. I got her from someone else so no idea when she was born exactly, She had been with us 11 years. I will miss her, she was shy and wouldn't come to you, you had to sit in a chair and let your hand down and she would come up to your hand to be petted.

So sorry to hear, RGS. It is amazing how attached you become to them.

I am so sorry :(

I understand how you feel about your beloved pet. I lost my 18 year old in March. I will always miss him. He was such a part of my life. It just feels wrong now :(

My heartfelt condolences

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like she lived a long and happy life.

Having lost a companion of fifteen years, I understand.

When I suffered the loss or hear of the loss such as this, I am reminded of this:

My Dog: The Paradox

Made me smile, and sad, all at once.

That made me smile, too. But I disagree with one thing. It said the dog will die without ever having known your name. Not true. My Greta who died knew my name. I was Mommy. My husband would say, "Go to your Mommy," and she'd run right to me. She knew my husband's name, Jon. I'd say "Where is Jon?" and she'd run and find him. She even knew "Grandpa." And the names of each and every one of my other 11 animals.

Retired GySgt, so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. Just take one day at a time. I'm sure your sweet dog had a very good life, and it was because of YOU. So give yourself credit for that, you did right by her. I hope that gives you some comfort.

And remember...your other dog needs you. So be strong, if not for yourself, for your dog.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that

Even though you know it is coming, there is still an emptiness in your life

:itsok:

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Pets are members of the family. It's very hard when one goes. I've been there.

The saying that it hurts less over time, is not true. It just hurts less often.

My prayers are with you.

So very sorry dear. They are our loyal, funny, and protective friends

we had to put down one of ours because of cancer.

Try soon to tour a shelter and look for another one when you feel you're ready..:smiliehug:

Last edited:
Sad news. I've got one that has lived longer than he should at this point but he keeps charging along. Thinking his time was near I got a new puppy to keep him company while I'm at work or gone. They're inseparable.

Sad news. I've got one that has lived longer than he should at this point but he keeps charging along. Thinking his time was near I got a new puppy to keep him company while I'm at work or gone. They're inseparable.

That's what happened with us. In 2012 we had to let our old boy go, leaving us with an old girl who had spent her life with us and him. She seemed lost, we thought she was going to go soon, then we brought a pup into the house in early 2013 and the old girl found new life.

Best thing we ever did. For her and us...

As someone said, go to the shelter and adopt one that really needs your love and caring.
Sage advice, but I'd recommend waiting. As Gunny Sergeant says, he'll be depressed for a few days. Another dog too soon might be a replacement dog, which wouldn't be fair to either animal.

And never quite works the way you think it will.

I agree about adopting another but wait.

====

We always know we will outlive them but it never gets any easier.

I'm really a cat person but - dogs - They give us so much. Much more than we give them, I think.

Its so hard to lose them.

Forum List

Back