One of my dogs just died.

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
She had been sick for a couple days, I knew it was coming but I sure wish she had recovered. She was about 12 or 13 years old. I got her from someone else so no idea when she was born exactly, She had been with us 11 years. I will miss her, she was shy and wouldn't come to you, you had to sit in a chair and let your hand down and she would come up to your hand to be petted.

Now my depression will be bad for a few days.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had to have my best friend put down and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It's hard to not feel guilty, even though it was the only thing you could do. So sad.

I'm so sorry, Sgt. I know your pain. I think all of us do.

Do you want to talk about her some more? Have any pics you want to share? If not..I understand. But if you do...we are listening. Just know you loved her, she knew you loved her and she loved you back.

:smiliehug:

Its tough when they pass but its the price we pay for sharing our lives with our four footed friends.

Hope it gets better for you Sarge and she will always be in your heart.

She had been sick for a couple days, I knew it was coming but I sure wish she had recovered. She was about 12 or 13 years old. I got her from someone else so no idea when she was born exactly, She had been with us 11 years. I will miss her, she was shy and wouldn't come to you, you had to sit in a chair and let your hand down and she would come up to your hand to be petted.

sorry to hear that

Having lost a companion of fifteen years, I understand.

When I suffered the loss or hear of the loss such as this, I am reminded of this:

My Dog: The Paradox

Made me smile, and sad, all at once.

How sorry I am for you, RetiredGySgt. :( Extreme sadness will be with you for a while until enough time has passed, so you may focus on the love and good times, you and she shared for all those years. I am happy for her, as you gave her someone to love and to trust. And now she is at peace.

We never completely get over the loss of a loved one. They added so much to our lives. ♥

So sorry to hear this. I can relate and understand. It is completely natural to feel sad for awhile. If you need to talk, come here.

Take care.

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

:smiliehug: I'm so sorry, Sgt! May the LORD comfort you.

Sorry to hear that

Even though you know it is coming, there is still an emptiness in your life

As someone said, go to the shelter and adopt one that really needs your love and caring.
Sage advice, but I'd recommend waiting. As Gunny Sergeant says, he'll be depressed for a few days. Another dog too soon might be a replacement dog, which wouldn't be fair to either animal.

I still have one dog she is old too but not sick so hopefully she still has a couple years. Not sure the wife wants another dog. I keep them in the house and don't let them out, they are chihuahuas,

Forum List

Back