One less "Job Saved" for the President

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
The President can no longer claim to have saved my job. Alas, but eight good years have come to an end. My company has been struggling for more than two years and recently my employer decided that he could no longer afford to keep me on the payroll. Today, he dropped the bombshell. Although, it is not like I didn't know it was coming. I was the controller and I knew it was bound to happen.

It was not the best decision to make, but since it is an family owned business, it was me or the President's wife/CEO's daughter-in-law and guess who won. :(

I don't blame my employer. If I didn't need the job, I would have volunteered to go a year ago. They couldn't afford me and I knew it.

I wish the company well and tried to leave gracefully, but it was difficult.

I have already started my planning for this job hunt. In fact, started a few weeks ago, but I'm not ready for this.

Note to the President... please take my job off of your phony list. God Bless and may God guide you forward.

Immie

The President can no longer claim to have saved my job. Alas, but eight good years have come to an end. My company has been struggling for more than two years and recently my employer decided that he could no longer afford to keep me on the payroll. Today, he dropped the bombshell. Although, it is not like I didn't know it was coming. I was the controller and I knew it was bound to happen.

It was not the best decision to make, but since it is an family owned business, it was me or the President's wife/CEO's daughter-in-law and guess who won. :(

I don't blame my employer. If I didn't need the job, I would have volunteered to go a year ago. They couldn't afford me and I knew it.

I have already started my planning for this job hunt. In fact, started a few weeks ago, but I'm not ready for this.

Note to the President... please take my job off of your phony list. God Bless and may God guide you forward.

Immie

I am sorry to hear that. Know that you are not alone out there. I have a couple of family members who are small business in the construction industry and they have been slaughtered in this recession. One of them had to lay off all of their employees . They tell me they are not even getting service calls and that the only calls they are getting are from people looking for work. Hang in there and good luck.

Sorry to hear about that Immie. Is your state still losing jobs badly or slightly recovering?

And hopefully you can get a new job soon.

Immie

Sorry to hear that.

I lost my job in the beginning of November - which makes sense, I work in election politics, and the organization I worked for didn't have the money to pay me through the off-season. Luckily, I got some fairly high-profile offers for the 2010 election season, but there was still a good 2 months of "What the fuck am I gonna do?".

Good luck on the job hunt.

Immie,
I know how you're feeling. Today it was announced our school building is staying open, but we're 'merging' with another school. Everyone will have to reinterview for their position, knowing they want a 50/50 staffing from the two schools.

Immie

Bummer. I am dammed sorry to hear that Immie. Best of trails to ya on a new job.

Immie

Immie,, so sorry about your job. Are you eligible for unemployment while you look? That will help some.

Immie

Immie,, so sorry about your job. Are you eligible for unemployment while you look? That will help some.

Yes, as far as I know, I am eligible. I filed this afternoon. I understand the Unemployment requirements and as far as I can see there is no reason at all that I would not qualify.

I received a letter from my employer stating that my position was being eliminated and that it had nothing whatsoever to do with my job performance. The President of the company also stated that he had a Letter of Recommendation for me, but he didn't want to give it to me if I got pissed off and started getting nasty. Me? Nasty? Do you think after eight years, he might know more about me than I thought? :lol:

I asked him, his dad and his wife to lunch on Tuesday... they buy of course so we could go over some things that they need to know. I don't envy them trying to fill my shoes. Not that I am the only one that could possibly do that job, but, I had a lot of information stored in my bald head that I kept to myself... to prolong the inevitable maybe?

I will get that letter on Tuesday.

Immie

I got cut down to part time on my job about 2 weeks ago, Immie. Also a small family owned business and I'm not related to the owner, go figure. Of course in real estate I've been lucky to avoid it this long, I can't really complain. Good luck, it's not easy out there but it's not impossible either. If I run across anything in my own searching I'll let you know!

The President of the company also stated that he had a Letter of Recommendation for me, but he didn't want to give it to me if I got pissed off and started getting nasty. Me? Nasty? Do you think after eight years, he might know more about me than I thought? :lol:

You realize what you must do now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE]YouTube - Office Space - Milton Swingline Stapler scenes[/ame]
:eek:

Again, sorry about the job loss but hopefully some laughter will brighten things a bit.

The President of the company also stated that he had a Letter of Recommendation for me, but he didn't want to give it to me if I got pissed off and started getting nasty. Me? Nasty? Do you think after eight years, he might know more about me than I thought? :lol:

You realize what you must do now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CrvGndKzE]YouTube - Office Space - Milton Swingline Stapler scenes[/ame]
:eek:

Again, sorry about the job loss but hopefully some laughter will brighten things a bit.

Oh crap! I think I left my stapler on my desk!

That was funny, and it made me feel better, at least they didn't go that far.

They gave me a month's severance, but when I first read it (the letter of release), I thought they were going to ask me to work there for another month... to train the daughter in law. Quite frankly, I don't think that would have worked. I gave two month's notice once before when I was getting ready to move to Florida. That didn't go over very well, in fact, those two months were worse than boot camp.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Immie

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that Immie. Is your state still losing jobs badly or slightly recovering?

And hopefully you can get a new job soon.

They have been saying it has been recovering, but I think they are lying to us.

Don't know if this will help any Immie but:

Controller Jobs in Florida | Indeed.com

Indeed that will help. It surely cannot hurt.

I have not heard of that site, but I can see visiting it quite often in the next few weeks.

Immie

Well hopefully that link will be of some help.

Here's another link I came across too:

Job-Hunt.Org: Florida Jobs, Jobs in Florida, Florida Careers and Job Search Resources

A huge list of links to say the least, but less specific.

I can see that.

One of the things that has had me concerned is that employers no longer place ads in the newspapers. Everyone does it online. Making it that much more difficult to get your resume noticed. It appears that I am going to have to learn a new method of job seeking.

Immie

I can see that.

One of the things that has had me concerned is that employers no longer place ads in the newspapers. Everyone does it online. Making it that much more difficult to get your resume noticed. It appears that I am going to have to learn a new method of job seeking.

Immie

Yep, it's all online now. You'd definitely not the first one to make that difficult transition, especially if you haven't used the internet growing up like my generation.

The internet is a great place to find jobs, the only thing is knowing where to look.

Forum List

Back