one idiot cop refers to Gates as "banana eating jungle monkey"

I honestly have not seen enough of the reports to know much at all about Officer Crowley or the incident. I don't know if the arrest was justified or not. From what I have read, I would think that it is possible that it was justified, but I can understand why Mr. Gates would have been angry about the treatment he received. From what I have seen, I don't think Officer Crowley was necessarily racist but maybe a bit arrogant as police tend to get when people question their authority.

I believe to Gates it was about his RACE, from his perception based on his assumptions. I do not believe it came from Officer Crowley. Which would make GATES the racist in that equation, IMHO, acting Stupidly!
I also believe the officer should have remained professional, and once he knew the reason he was called to the Gates residence was resolved, he should have just walked away. Was Gates arrest legal? YES, was it Just? I doubt it. and it certainly could have been avoided if either of them had not acted STUPIDLY!
Gates SHOULD have THANKED the officer for responding to the situation at his residence in a timely manner!
The officer SHOULD have left after the reason he was called to the gates residence was resolved!

Neither of those things happened.... As they both acted stupidly... Gates was his own worst enemy

"He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."
Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano."
Sure, "Banana eating jungle monkey" could have meant so many different things.

You know, before this board, I had no idea that anyone called black people "monkeys" or that it was an insult specific to black people. And yes, I have friends who are black. I get what I call "monkey hugs" from kids...that's when they wrap they arms and legs around me. Imagine my surprise to discover that it's a "racist" term when used with black kids...

BTW, I like monkey hugs and I will continue to call them monkey hug as they seem about the best way to describe them. You want to call me a racist for that, go ahead. I'm already being called a racist for using the term "poor white trash" to mean people who behave badly.

It just goes to show, if you are looking for racism, you are going to find it.

I honestly have not seen enough of the reports to know much at all about Officer Crowley or the incident. I don't know if the arrest was justified or not. From what I have read, I would think that it is possible that it was justified, but I can understand why Mr. Gates would have been angry about the treatment he received. From what I have seen, I don't think Officer Crowley was necessarily racist but maybe a bit arrogant as police tend to get when people question their authority.

I believe to Gates it was about his RACE, from his perception based on his assumptions. I do not believe it came from Officer Crowley. Which would make GATES the racist in that equation, IMHO, acting Stupidly!
I also believe the officer should have remained professional, and once he knew the reason he was called to the Gates residence was resolved, he should have just walked away. Was Gates arrest legal? YES, was it Just? I doubt it. and it certainly could have been avoided if either of them had not acted STUPIDLY!
Gates SHOULD have THANKED the officer for responding to the situation at his residence in a timely manner!
The officer SHOULD have left after the reason he was called to the gates residence was resolved!

Neither of those things happened.... As they both acted stupidly... Gates was his own worst enemy

OMG common sense is everywhere today....if i hadn't hit my rep limit i'd give you some too.

Another great post

You gotta admit.. "Banana Eating Jungle Monkey" is funny as hell. racist? sure. But funny as hell anyway.

So anyone have an argument with zaphod's point? I'm hoping to see one :tongue:

I agree with most of what Zaph says. Except that I do not believe the arrest was legal and I'm withholding judgment on whether Gates is a racist because of discrepancies in the police reports.

He has been fired by the boston PD.

Just goes to show, like officer crowley, the majority of police don't accept racism.
They'll even arrest you for calling them racist.

Can any of you ever use an honest argument? Is that what he was arrested for, or do you just enjoy making untrue and dishonest statements?

He wasn't an endangerment to the Public on his porch yelling and screaming and his yelling was not about to cause a riot or anything in such a nature, and he was not yelling and screaming and angry at someone in the public...which are REQUIRED in order to charge someone with Disorderly conduct and arrest them, in Massachusetts.

It's hard to figure out why Crowley told mr gates to come out side for his identification twice right before Gates followed him outside, only for Crowley to arrest him for being disorderly, when Gates according to crowley in his police report, was yelling and tumultuous inside and as they were walking out? Yet he coaxed him outside for his cop identification card?

Crowley may not have realized this is what he was doing, luring mr gates outside by saying TWICE to mr Gates while Gates was having his tizzy fit, if he wanted his police identification he would have to go outside for it....?

or crowley may have known precisely what he was doing which was luring gates outside so that he could arrest him for simply being an irritating ass, which he did within seconds, couple of minutes at most, after they came outside?

gates was an idiot and perhaps even race baiting, but Crowley wasted the tax payer's dime by arresting the actual owner of the home he intruded upon, just because he was yelling and screaming and upset at him, the cop...imo.

care

Last edited:
I agree with most of what Zaph says. Except that I do not believe the arrest was legal

Allow me to clarify... I am NOT familiar with the local laws in question, so whether it was actually legal or not, I cannot say with any level of authority. I CAN say that as a former law enforcement officer <MP US ARMY> I can see where it COULD be legal, as Gates was no longer in his house when arrested, and I believe he was arrested for PUBLIC disorderly conduct, or something like that.

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

:eusa_hand: At least he apologized. Mr. President, it is your turn.

If the comments were from his personal email, and his opinion, and not sent as a representation of the Police Department, He has a right to express it.

The whole thing is plain old unnecessary.

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

is gates a product of evolution?

My question for Chris would be: It's clear this guy made an ass of himself, but why try to paint the entire Boston police force in the same light? It's dishonest.

That's fine, but if his fellow officers don't publically refute him they endorse him with their silence. In the end it's not Gates being injured here, it's thier reputation.

That's ridiculous. If every officer has to publicly announce their position on every issue that's raised regarding the police force they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

And when you adopt that sort of logic where does it end? Do only Boston cops have to renounce it, or maybe all the cops in Massachusetts? How about the whole country?

Come to think of it the neighbors dog crapped on my lawn this morning and I haven't seen you publicly state you think the neighbor should have cleaned it up. Clearly this means you're supportive of my neighbor's action or lack there of. You're practically endorsing people letting their dogs crap where ever they want with your silence on this issue.

My question for Chris would be: It's clear this guy made an ass of himself, but why try to paint the entire Boston police force in the same light? It's dishonest.

That's fine, but if his fellow officers don't publically refute him they endorse him with their silence. In the end it's not Gates being injured here, it's thier reputation.

That's ridiculous. If every officer has to publicly announce their position on every issue that's raised regarding the police force they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

And when you adopt that sort of logic where does it end? Do only Boston cops have to renounce it, or maybe all the cops in Massachusetts? How about the whole country?

Come to think of it the neighbors dog crapped on my lawn this morning and I haven't seen you publicly state you think the neighbor should have cleaned it up. Clearly this means you're supportive of my neighbor's action or lack there of. You're practically endorsing people letting their dogs crap where ever they want with your silence on this issue.

I'm publicaly stating now that your neighbor should clean up his dogs poop, and while I'm at it, my neighbor needs to clean up his dogs poop that's in my yard too....:D

You gotta admit.. "Banana Eating Jungle Monkey" is funny as hell. racist? sure. But funny as hell anyway.

I'm horrified. Apparently the email was full of spelling and grammatical errors. Now that makes me cringe. I hope he was off his face when he wrote it, at least he'd have a defence to crap writing. And the redundancy is annoying as bloody hell - "jungle monkey" - where else do you find them - in the fucking Sahara Desert???

Give me a break.

Last edited:

You're one ignorant jackass, why don't you say that around a bunch of blacks and see what happens? Come to think of it, you did almost exactly what that cop did.

You're one ignorant jackass, why don't you say that around a bunch of blacks and see what happens? Come to think of it, you did almost exactly what that cop did.

Don't pull your pants up in a quaking rage, Toby. "Banana Eating Jungle Monkey" is as funny coming from a racist as your racist ass screaming "CRACKER HONKY" is. Again, I've read Gates's memoir and you haven't so spare me your silly fucking lecture on which of us is a racist bastard.

Forum List

Back