one idiot cop refers to Gates as "banana eating jungle monkey"

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

How come we keep hearing stories about inappropriate emails being sent out?

These days, people just don't think twice prior to clicking "send".

20 years ago, you never heard stories like this.

At least he didn't call him a...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67JhKT5bxU]YouTube - Monty Python:Never Be Rude To an Arab[/ame]

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."
This guy shouldn't be a cop. He's threatening violence to anyone that mocks him.

"He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."
Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano."

"He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."
Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano."

:lol::lol:

I've said some pretty stupid things when I was angry and I have a temper, so I can understand the venting, but there are always consequences for doing so. This police officer should be severely disciplined for those remarks.

Immie

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

He has been fired by the boston PD.

Just goes to show, like officer crowley, the majority of police don't accept racism.

If they did then gates would have gotten beat down by the cops that night and this guy who sent that racist email wouldn't be fired.

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."
This guy shouldn't be a cop. He's threatening violence to anyone that mocks him.

I wonder if this cop was always this whacked or if he just recently lost his mind?

The National Guard suspended him, too. Good show.
Yes.
Apart the racist rant, I'm sure neither the Boston Police nor the Nat'l Guard wants a guy like that carrying one of their weapons.

Forum List

Back