one idiot cop refers to Gates as "banana eating jungle monkey"

Anyway.

It just sucks that gates/patrick/obama have all pushed back race relations in america....it makes me sick inside to see that happen.

If addressing the fact that race problems still exist in America is pushing race relations backwards, I'm not sure I want to know exactly what you think race relations should be?

A don't ask if racism exists don't tell sort of thing?

No not at all. Gates is racist and used his racist opinions to make a big national scene calling out an innocent officer as racist.

Devaul Patrick fed into the misrepresentation of the officer by publicly decrying his actions

Obama further threw fuel on the fire by incorrectly assuming the cop had violated procedure and done something "stupid".

Their assumptions, based on race, that the officer was wrong showed many white americans that a lot of black americans, including the president, harbor racist views toward whites.

It is well known that many whites harbor racist views toward blacks, but it was much less widely known that blacks harbor the same racism. That was until the most powerful man in the country gave them an unfortunate example of it.
So, if you believe that to be true, why would Obama demonstrating what you believe to be un addressed racism setting back race relations in the US?

Shouldn't all aspects be talked about?

A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist . . .

How do you call someone a "banana-eating jungle monkey" and then expect people to believe you when you claim to not be a racist?

This whole thing is much ado about NOTHING.

Both parties "acted stupidly". Gates with his ignorant, and racist in their own right, assumptions and the COP for not disarming the situation and walking away like a professional after he identified the man in the home as the owner of said home, and the reason for his being there was OVER.

I was just listening to the news talk guys Margerie Eagan and Jim Browdy (super lib and real normal lib) and they said he hasn't been fired yet.

All the people who called in said he should be fired, i'm sure they will they really can't keep a guy like that in his job.

But like I said before, if crowley was a racist, he would have done what the moron who wrote that email said he would have done.

Anyway.

It just sucks that gates/patrick/obama have all pushed back race relations in america....it makes me sick inside to see that happen.

"Normal lib"? Is there such a thing? ;)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I agree that they cannot keep him employed in that position. For one thing doing so puts his life and the lives of other officers at risk or at least risks race relations with the community at large.

I honestly have not seen enough of the reports to know much at all about Officer Crowley or the incident. I don't know if the arrest was justified or not. From what I have read, I would think that it is possible that it was justified, but I can understand why Mr. Gates would have been angry about the treatment he received. From what I have seen, I don't think Officer Crowley was necessarily racist but maybe a bit arrogant as police tend to get when people question their authority.

Immie

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

I don't condone the comment, as I would not have said it.

However, examine the "facts" Gates had a problem with a police officer why? Because he was acting like an animal, instead of a reasoning human.

His off the hook big mouth, yelling and ranting got led to his problems.

If a person is going to act like a animal, then they should not be surprised when others refer to them as one.

I would have used "barking dog" personally, as I see monkey or gorilla as being more directly racist and to me that is unacceptable.

He (Gates) acted like a barking dog (even after repeated warnings) and the police officer chose to muzzle him. Good for him, as he should do, no matter a persons race, religion, position in life or anything else.

The officer who made the monkey or gorilla remarks, well steps should be taken to clearly see to it that he is capable of separating his personal views, from the responsibilities expected of him as a police officer.

I may be against abortion, but if as a officer of the law I am called upon to protect a abortion clinic, then I should be expected to be able to do that, without hesitation.

As for terminating him, if he did this (the emails) while on the time clock, then yes, that should be considered, if not, then frankly termination would be exceeding the departments rights into the mans personal life and beliefs, no matter what society in general may think of them.

Clinton felt that adultery was acceptable and did it while on the time clock, on our furniture, yet he was not terminated ............. hmmmmm Is that any worse than bigotry? Many would feel they are equally unacceptable, I know I do.

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Harvard employees a banana-eating jungle monkey? That's one smart monkey.

He has been fired by the boston PD.

Just goes to show, like officer crowley, the majority of police don't accept racism.

If they did then gates would have gotten beat down by the cops that night and this guy who sent that racist email wouldn't be fired.

so if some older man got arrested in his own home and didn't get a "beat down", he should consider himself lucky?

As for terminating him, if he did this (the emails) while on the time clock, then yes, that should be considered, if not, then frankly termination would be exceeding the departments rights into the mans personal life and beliefs, no matter what society in general may think of them.

I think they might be concerned he advocated violence against Gates too.

Hey if the man wants to be racist then let him. I'm sure he understands the consequences. I'm tired of all the idiots that want to cram their beliefs onto another. FTR I'm not a racist, but I reserve the right to change my opinion at any point I deem neccesary.

LOL! The title of this thread got edted. Someone looking out for Boston Cops?

I'm hoping Chris edited it himself for accuracy sake...
If the board moderators did it, they have serious control issues :eek: , and I'd be out of here in a heart beat.

If the board moderators did it, they have serious control issues :eek: , and I'd be out of here in a heart beat.
Zaph, FYI, never, ever, question a moderator's actions publicly on this board.

Big no-no!

:lol:

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."
This guy shouldn't be a cop. He's threatening violence to anyone that mocks him.

I wonder if this cop was always this whacked or if he just recently lost his mind?

While its true that people need to watch what they say, it just goes to prove that racial tensions are much greater than we want to admit. So who is to blame? Blacks blame whites and whites blame blacks.

Let's get back to what started all of this. The police officer came to Gates' house to determine if the person who looked to possibly be breaking into the home was actually the owner. Why did Gates become irate over this in the first place? It seems he should have been grateful that someone cared enough to call the police to check things out. What if it had been a burglar?

So what set Gates off? That we do not really know, but I'm under the assumption he just took issue with the fact that the cop thought he might be a burglar because he was black. Wasn't the Gates intelligent enough to understand the officer was just doing his job. It seems that if he told the officer he lived there and showed his ID, there shouldn't have been any issue at all, and Gates should have been thankful that someone cared enough to call the police. Instead, he went off the deep end with the cop. So who was the unstable one, and who was the one with an agenda? To me it is obvious.

Just a quick story about burglary. My parents live in an upper-middle class neighborhood in Ann Arbor, MI. A few years back, a family in the neighborhood went on vacation. They didn't bother to tell anyone they would be away and they were someone private, so they didn't associate much with their neighbors. Well, when they got back from vacation, there wasn't a single item left in their home. A group of theives came with a moving truck, and I'm talking one of the huge Semis. Nobody said anything. Within one day, they professionally packed and moved all the belongings and drove off. A number of people told police they just thought the family was moving.

But getting back to the original topic, a lot of whites have grown tired with the black accusations and the racist crap. So long as blacks continue to act like idiots, whites will treat them like they are idiots. Show some class and not make everything about race, and maybe things will change. So yes, personally I put the blame where I believe it lies. Whites are far from perfect, and there are many whites who are just plain outright racist, which is wrong. But for many like me, I have my prejudices, but to me, it is the blacks who continue to reinforce those prejudices through their own actions.

Zaph, FYI, never, ever, question a moderator's actions publicly on this board.

Big no-no!

:lol:
:eusa_hand:
Would not be the first board I've gotten the boot from for speaking the truth... Doubt it will be the last... It reflects on their values and beliefs as much as it does mine! :lol:

I'd rather get it out of the way sooner rather than later...

I was just listening to the news talk guys Margerie Eagan and Jim Browdy (super lib and real normal lib) and they said he hasn't been fired yet.

All the people who called in said he should be fired, i'm sure they will they really can't keep a guy like that in his job.

But like I said before, if crowley was a racist, he would have done what the moron who wrote that email said he would have done.

Anyway.

"Normal lib"? Is there such a thing? ;)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I agree that they cannot keep him employed in that position. For one thing doing so puts his life and the lives of other officers at risk or at least risks race relations with the community at large.

I honestly have not seen enough of the reports to know much at all about Officer Crowley or the incident. I don't know if the arrest was justified or not. From what I have read, I would think that it is possible that it was justified, but I can understand why Mr. Gates would have been angry about the treatment he received. From what I have seen, I don't think Officer Crowley was necessarily racist but maybe a bit arrogant as police tend to get when people question their authority.
Immie

That is one of the most intelligent comments i've heard since this whole story broke(bolded part).....nice post!!!!

"He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."
Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano."
Sure, "Banana eating jungle monkey" could have meant so many different things.

My question for Chris would be: It's clear this guy made an ass of himself, but why try to paint the entire Boston police force in the same light? It's dishonest.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but if his fellow officers don't publically refute him they endorse him with their silence. In the end it's not Gates being injured here, it's thier reputation.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

So Gates finally found a racist cop.....perhaps that's whom he should start yelling at?

I was once told that sort of expression is not racist because in nature, there are white monkeys. Seriously.

Forum List

Back