OK, really, KFC?

For my family the big, big meal is Thanksgiving.
On Christmas it's usually turkey, ham (or both) and just a couple of sides. My sis makes prime rib. We want to relax on Christmas, and there's the whole gift thing going on.

I've worked many, many holidays so I certainly sympathize with people who aren't up for cooking a big meal. Also, remember, a lot of people are away from home on Christmas. My sis and her whole family are in Hawaii now. I doubt if they're going to cook.

I'm divided on KFC's yuletide bucket. On the one side, I can understand that a monopolizing fast-food chain wants to exploit any market it can, but I draw the line at advertising bullshit that is so transparent, it's difficult to think even the advertisers and their client believe what they're promoting - in this case, Christmas coated in breadcrumbs.

On the the other hand, I sympathize with those who have said that it's a comfort to know there's somewhere open for those who aren't spending time with family and are otherwise on their own. Negating the need to cook a large, socially obligatory festive meal for one. I freely admit to have spent a few Christmas' on my own. During which I would distract myself from the lack of company by getting stoned, watching DVDs, and treating myself to several decadently expensive bottles of red wine in the evening.

Since I got married, Mrs. Swagger and I have a roast dinner. But not with turkey. We have chicken instead. Otherwise the fridge would be filled with turkey that would get in the way and which we'd get sick of and throw away instead of eating.

Oh, and my favourite fast food? Fish and chips. But I would say that, wouldn't I.

On Christmas, KFC can go fu... er, sorry, 'fry' themselves.

Boston Market has the best home cooked meals....... :eusa_whistle:

I suppose Boston Market is 'fast food', but it's hard to think of them that way.... I suppose if one were close enough to swing by once in a while, Panda Express would move to second place. I dig their chicken-pot-pies!

I was responding to the OP, not which is your favorite fast food. With just my wife and the three cats ("kids") we occasionally have used Boston Markets family meal for our holiday dinners, especially if I'm working. You're right it is hard to see them as "fast food", they're more like a mini-cafeteria.

Last edited:
Now that I'm cooking for one, I'm finding eating good meals is a bit of a pain in the ass.

First of all cooking for one is difficult to do as buying portions for one is nearly impossible.

And sure, one can freeze leftovers and extra portions, but it does add rather considerably to the home ec process.

As a consquence I'm eating dinners like olives, grapes and cheese, rye bread and hummas instead of cooking real meals.

And I'm finding that the only convenient way to buy for one is to buy processed (often frozen) foods.

Some of them are okay sometimes, but making a steady diet out of stuff coming out of a box or can or jar is not healthy in the long run. There's too much chemical crap (and often corn sugars) added to that stuff.

Plus it is more expensive than cooking food from scratch, too.

The upside to buring that stuff is that I don't end up throwing away food that I just cannot eat.

Last week I threw out about 5 pounds of turkey.

I just could not eat it fast enough and given that it was already a half turkey leftoever frozen from a few weeks before (when I cooked the whole turkey for a small gathering) this is not a very frugal use of my precious food dollars.

One bit of advice for ya'll..an old Czech saying (which I cannot say in Czech)

You can cheat your back but you cannot cheat your stomach.

Basically, that's the Czech peasant's way of saying:

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, NOT WHAT YOU WEAR.​

You could have made turkey croquettes or soup or something out of the leftover turkey. Or freeze it for later, alligator.

Everyone comes here for Christmas. Mom, dad, my brother and my other brother and his wife, plus us five.

We usually have honey baked ham that I'll pick up I guess Thursday (and I'll pick up some of their split pea soup mix for us for later. YUM!), home made mac and cheese, home made corn bread, cranberries, peas, and I know I'm making a pecan pie and a cherry cheese pie. I think I'll make everyone some home made goodie bags. Pumpkin cake, cookies, maybe blueberry muffins.

Last week I threw out about 5 pounds of turkey.

I just could not eat it fast enough and given that it was already a half turkey leftoever frozen from a few weeks before (when I cooked the whole turkey for a small gathering) this is not a very frugal use of my precious food dollars.

I wish I knew you, I would have taken that turkey off your hands. I love turkey.

Does anyone have those 'Homestyle Cafeterias' where they live?

We have an MCL where we live, Mini Echo and I love it.

You go through the line and get your fruits or salads, then desserts, then entree, then sides, then breads, then drinks.

It's nice, since there are a lot of non-meat options and we can get a lot of different things.

You go through the line and get your fruits or salads, then desserts, then entree, then sides, then breads, then drinks.

It's nice, since there are a lot of non-meat options and we can get a lot of different things.

There was something like that called Piccadilys in Mississipi and Virginia when I was there.

Not down here, must be a local or regional outlet.

Sometimes the perfect meal means the kids can feed themselves while mommy and daddy exchange gifts behind closed doors.

Never underestimate the value of fast food and paper plates. ;)

Aaaaawwwwww YEAH!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyoPaVxMyWY&feature=related[/ame]

th57B5300E5852435A.gif
th26AF7568F7BD5D0E.gif

I just saw a commercial for KFC, saying they were the perfect "Holiday Dinner"

Really? WTH?

Are people really that lazy?

What ever happened to a homecooked meal?

Geez. :cuckoo:

What other stupid things are out there?
I guess if you had a lot of people over and wanted to augment your home cooked meal with KFC then that would be ok.

But KFC as the whole holiday meal? No.

The soup line?

Forum List

Back