The Wildlife of the Sonoran Desert.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Spring has sprung in the high deserts of Southern Arizona. The flowers of the genus Ambrosia are in full bloom painting the normally dull brown landscape with brilliant yellows, oranges, purples and pinks. The wildlife is very active also, taking advantage of the perfect weather and the usual Spring drive to reproduce and thrive.

I have no fence on my hilltop home. This allows a wildlife corridor that is frequented by coyote, javelina, deer and bobcat. The feathered fauna also seems to like our house. At night there are a pair of rather annoying barn owls who show up between 1am and 6am with there very loud WHOO....WHOO.....WHO WHO. I surprised them one night as they were who-whooing on our roof. I opened the window and saw them fly off into the night their enormous wings spread wide.

Today I watched a road runner trying to snatch a lizard for his evening meal. It was sunset and the light was perfect for hunting. The lizard was very visible and I thought he was a gonner. But just as the Road Runner moved in for the kill he darted into a a tree shadow and the Road Runner missed. I could still see him but the Road Runner lost him. He ran left, right and came back to where he was. The lizard was two feet away from him.
Lizard 1 Road Runner 0.

Forum List

Back