[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

Is Linux fully compatible with Windows applications?
No. It is also extremely difficult to use if you are a plug and play type of PC user - Linux requires a certain understanding of how and why computers operate.
That's not true today. I've installed boatloads of software programs and set up numerous computers and Linux is MUCH easier than Windows. I go to the software manager, pick a program (free) and select install. a few minutes later (if it was a huge program equivalent to Light Table) I select it from the menu and run it.

It's taken me a half hour or more, plus reboots for similar Windows stuff.

Loathe installing new software. ...Those 3.5" disks are SO annoying. ;)

You won't believe this but somewhere I still have floppy disks from my Franklin 1200!!!!!

Don't have 5.25" floppies any more, but I do backup my bookmarks file onto 3.5" regularly. Worst-case, if I lose everything else, can rebuild it (in time) from bookmarks.

You could save more bookmarks on a thumb drive. Just FYI.

Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
That's all I install. But I'm using Linux. It's better than Windows! (unless you're a gamer)
If it was, Iceweasel wouldn't have had to include the gamer disclaimer.
A gamer disclaimer? You think everyone uses a computer to play games?

That is a scummy misrep of my post.

Vote: Iceweasel
LOL. that gave me a smile.

Thanks house

Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
That's all I install. But I'm using Linux. It's better than Windows! (unless you're a gamer)

Huh? Then why bring up gaming? Are you drunk?

LOL. that gave me a smile.

Thanks house
Do shiny objects keep you busy?

You brought it up first.

You brought it up first.
Yes, and how did I misrepresent your comment?

I have no idea where the server is actually located. However, I did trace the ping address of the server to Austin Texas. My experience is the opposite of yours. Response on this website is rarely more than a second. One thing I changed made a huge difference. I replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive. It now takes about 4 seconds to boot the computer, about 2 seconds to load chrome about a second to load USMB. The response time is very consistent. The only explanation I can think of is there are a number of dependent tasks some doing a lot of disk I/O and others are in a wait state.

Lolz ... SSD hard drives are only about 100 times faster than HHD drives.
Of course you pay more for less space ... But they have no moving parts and don't experience wear.

I was so surprised when making the switch ... The computer started working lightning fast.
At that point, you are generally waiting for the programming, another system or server to catch up ... And your computer is not what is slowing it down.
The server is located where you send your site donations if you do so by snail mail.

You brought it up first.
Yes, and how did I misrepresent your comment?

By making a false implication about my post.

I have no idea where the server is actually located. However, I did trace the ping address of the server to Austin Texas. My experience is the opposite of yours. Response on this website is rarely more than a second. One thing I changed made a huge difference. I replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive. It now takes about 4 seconds to boot the computer, about 2 seconds to load chrome about a second to load USMB. The response time is very consistent. The only explanation I can think of is there are a number of dependent tasks some doing a lot of disk I/O and others are in a wait state.

Lolz ... SSD hard drives are only about 100 times faster than HHD drives.
Of course you pay more for less space ... But they have no moving parts and don't experience wear.

I was so surprised when making the switch ... The computer started working lightning fast.
At that point, you are generally waiting for the programming, another system or server to catch up ... And your computer is not what is slowing it down.
The server is located where you send your site donations if you do so by snail mail.

Server location is not near as important as it use to be. It's bandwidth that's most important today. Some sites simply do not have the horsepower to handle peak loads so they set a limit on the number of connections which means you wait and wait.

I use Chrome on Windows 7, Norton Security Suite, and the free version of AdBlock. I rarely see any ads on the this website. I don't have much problem with adware or any other malware.
I use a recently factory-reset computer with Chrome on Windows 8.1 with AdBlockPluse, Disconnect and Ghostery. These have blocked most of the adds but this website is super slow. It takes 30 seconds to load a page and the refresh rate is 2-6 seconds behind the keystroke. This is the only site I experience this problem on and I belong to a dozen discussion forums.

The problems caused by malware comes mostly from downloading infected software. I never install anything on this computer that hasn't come from a reputable source. Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
It's not a malware issue. Where is the server physically located, what are the server's specs, who is the IP and what kind of service package does the server have with the IP?
Does replacing the hard drive on my phone void the warranty?

I use Chrome on Windows 7, Norton Security Suite, and the free version of AdBlock. I rarely see any ads on the this website. I don't have much problem with adware or any other malware.
I use a recently factory-reset computer with Chrome on Windows 8.1 with AdBlockPluse, Disconnect and Ghostery. These have blocked most of the adds but this website is super slow. It takes 30 seconds to load a page and the refresh rate is 2-6 seconds behind the keystroke. This is the only site I experience this problem on and I belong to a dozen discussion forums.

The problems caused by malware comes mostly from downloading infected software. I never install anything on this computer that hasn't come from a reputable source. Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
It's not a malware issue. Where is the server physically located, what are the server's specs, who is the IP and what kind of service package does the server have with the IP?

No, it only increases the 976 charges on your monthly phone bill.

No, it only increases the 976 charges on your monthly phone bill.
But that's why he replaced his hard drive!

Hard drive in an android? Really? Tiny little spinning disks?
I assume computers have drives, do they not? And a smartphone is computer....

I've never dismantled a smartphone and wouldn't have the first clue about how to change any component beyond the removable battery, Sim card and SD card.

That is because you can’t really change much else (and certainly cannot change the on board disc space). The real question here is why you felt that this thread was the place to ask your silly question. It does not belong here.

Forum List

Back