[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

I use Chrome on Windows 7, Norton Security Suite, and the free version of AdBlock. I rarely see any ads on the this website. I don't have much problem with adware or any other malware.
I use a recently factory-reset computer with Chrome on Windows 8.1 with AdBlockPluse, Disconnect and Ghostery. These have blocked most of the adds but this website is super slow. It takes 30 seconds to load a page and the refresh rate is 2-6 seconds behind the keystroke. This is the only site I experience this problem on and I belong to a dozen discussion forums.

The problems caused by malware comes mostly from downloading infected software. I never install anything on this computer that hasn't come from a reputable source. Installing free software is a great way to screw up your computer.
It's not a malware issue. Where is the server physically located, what are the server's specs, who is the IP and what kind of service package does the server have with the IP?
I have no idea where the server is actually located. However, I did trace the ping address of the server to Austin Texas. My experience is the opposite of yours. Response on this website is rarely more than a second. One thing I changed made a huge difference. I replaced my hard drive with a solid state drive. It now takes about 4 seconds to boot the computer, about 2 seconds to load chrome about a second to load USMB. The response time is very consistent. The only explanation I can think of is there are a number of dependent tasks some doing a lot of disk I/O and others are in a wait state.
Does replacing the hard drive on my phone void the warranty?
I didn't know you could buy a hard drive for a phone. All iphones have flash memory which can't be expanded. I would think most other phones have the same type memory.

Hard drive in an android? Really? Tiny little spinning disks?
I assume computers have drives, do they not? And a smartphone is computer....

I've never dismantled a smartphone and wouldn't have the first clue about how to change any component beyond the removable battery, Sim card and SD card.
Phones have solid state memory, not hard drives, not even what might be called a SS hard drive.

I don't know what flash memory is, I can Google it later. Anyway I don't know how to change out components like that on my phone. I apreciate the suggestion but it's beyond my ability.

From my PC I keep getting redirected to Prepper Forums, and while I don't get redirected while using my phone, nor is the keyboard slower, Tapatalk can't connect to this server half the time. I belong to nearly a dozen forums, some phisicaly located in the UK, and this is the only one I experience these problems on. This forum has a boatload of adds, malware attempts tripping my firewall, and redirects.

Would the admin mind just...getting rid of all that?

Last edited:
I don't know what flash memory is, I can Google it later. Anyway I don't know how to change out components like that on my phone. I apreciate the suggestion but it's beyond my ability.

From my PC I keep getting redirected to Prepper Forums, and while I don't get redirected while using my phone, nor is the keyboard slower, Tapatalk can't connect to this server half the time. I belong to nearly a dozen forums, some phisicaly located in the UK, and this is the only one I experience these problems on. This forum has a boatload of adds, malware attempts tripping my firewall, and redirects.

Would the admin mind just...getting rid of all that?
The ads generate income that keeps C_K in clean socks
Adblock or bluhell firewall will block the ads. Bluhell is a firefox add on that's free to download. I use it and it works very well for me.

Adblock or bluhell firewall will block the ads. Bluhell is a firefox add on that's free to download. I use it and it works very well for me.
What do you suggest for stopping redirects to other forums, and slow responses from the server (slow keyboard and such)?

What do you suggest for stopping redirects to other forums, and slow responses from the server (slow keyboard and such)?

I don't see any problems with the "redirect" function. It simply lets me know that I'm being directed elsewhere. I kinda like it.

The BluHell will stop scripts, which the site tries to run. Those mucked up my machine a bit too. The redirects are when you click a link on a USMB page. It's just an extra layer to let you know you're leaving USMB.

I don't see any problems with the "redirect" function. It simply lets me know that I'm being directed elsewhere. I kinda like it.

I'm not talking about the page that let's you know your leaving the site. I'm talking about clicking the "reply" button to a post and being sent to Prepper Forums instead of the post creation page. How does one stop that?

The BluHell will stop scripts, which the site tries to run. Those mucked up my machine a bit too. The redirects are when you click a link on a USMB page. It's just an extra layer to let you know you're leaving USMB.
I don't get that page when I'm redirected to Prepper Forums while trying to quote a post. See you're talking about clicking a link you know is off-site and seeing that extra page first. That's not at all what I'm talking about. I get sent to other forums the owner operates when I try to quote posts. How do I stop that?

Last edited:
I don't get that page when I'm redirected to Prepper Forums while trying to quote a post. See you're talking about clicking a like you know is off-site and seeing that extra page first. That's not at all what I'm talking about. I get sent to other forums the owner operates when I try to quote posts. How do I stop that?
get a better virus detector.

I don't get that page when I'm redirected to Prepper Forums while trying to quote a post. See you're talking about clicking a like you know is off-site and seeing that extra page first. That's not at all what I'm talking about. I get sent to other forums the owner operates when I try to quote posts. How do I stop that?
Such as....

Such as....
I like Norton.

You should start a private conversation with Cereal_Killer. You are the first to mention your problem.

The strange thing is there are links at the botton of pages to Forum Foundry prepper pages. Why would a redirect send him to another FF site?

Unless, FF is one big virus.

The strange thing is there are links at the botton of pages to Forum Foundry prepper pages. Why would a redirect send him to another FF site?

Treasure Net and Outdoor Forums, those are the other two forums I get directed to.

This only happens on this website, and I'm only directed to other forums this owner has. How do I prevent admin from redirecting me to his other forums?

Treasure Net and Outdoor Forums, those are the other two forums I get directed to.

This only happens on this website, and I'm only directed to other forums this owner has. How do I prevent admin from redirecting me to his other forums?
I don't get directed to other forums. I didn't even know they exist. I don't see adverts. I run Chrome, with AdBlocker Plus and Norton.

Forum List

Back