Off the HOOK!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I got rid of my land line a few months ago, it was a waste of money really, since I'm already paying for cell phone service with Verizon. I don't even use up my 700 minutes a month on that.

Anyone else still have land lines, and use them a lot?

Or have you gone way of the cell phone too?

I only use a cell phone too. It's nice to know I virtually can't miss a call.

I got rid of my land line a few months ago, it was a waste of money really, since I'm already paying for cell phone service with Verizon. I don't even use up my 700 minutes a month on that.

We got rid of our land line about three years ago.

This is del's phone:

302_2.jpg

only use cell phone and I am about ready to throw mine out the window!

do any americans still have rotary phones?
I have about six of them even older and fancier than del's. They all work. But now they are gathering dust. I got rid of the landline about 5 years ago when the AOL dial up service we were using caused us to get extra charges even though AOL denied up and down that they rerouted calls.

Hubby and I each have a cell phone but rarely use it. I use mine mainly for work (so I can turn it off and not get bugged by sales reps at 10 at night). I text college kid some but I'm not much of a phone talker to begin with. My mother can't fathom this as she was born with a phone connected to her ear. We just went cordless a few years ago (due to kid issues) but still have two land lines, cause we had them so we use them. I loved rotary phones; the whole dial thing and the weight and shape of the handset part of the phone. I don't like these cordless and cell phones; I can't cradle them on my shoulder and talk like with a rotary phone. Bah! lol

Hmmm, EZ you have given me food for thought. Maybe we should get rid of the land lines altogether and just go cell. We use Virgin mobile pay as you go but college kid has Verizon; maybe I should look into a family plan - might be cheaper than having VM and land lines.

Amanda - your point of not missing a call (or being 'reachable' 24/7) is the exact reason why I don't like cell phones. Probably just me though. :)

Question - we need a land line for our desk top for DSL for internet. If we bagged the land lines, what are the internet options? Cable? Is a phone line required for this?

Last edited:
I have my internet service through my cable provider,it's all on one bill every month.

Verizon has some GREAT Family Plans. (not trying to advertise, just saying!)

But yeah, the old rotary phones are cool!

I have my internet service through my cable provider,it's all on one bill every month.

Verizon has some GREAT Family Plans. (not trying to advertise, just saying!)

But yeah, the old rotary phones are cool!

EZ, your tv cable provider? Hmmm hadn't thought of that. We use Verizon and switched to DSL a couple of years ago, also all on one bill.

I just did some math :eek: and between two pay as you go cell phones and the land line, we pay approx $750/yr. College kid pays close to this for her cell phone plan. I am intrigued. Main objective: saving some bucks! Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited:
Amanda - your point of not missing a call (or being 'reachable' 24/7) is the exact reason why I don't like cell phones. Probably just me though. :)

You don't have to answer, you know.

If my phone rings and your name isn't on my caller ID, (of my cell phone) I don't answer.

Does anyone else do this? I figure if it's important, they'll leave a message.

You don't have to answer, you know.

If my phone rings and your name isn't on my caller ID, (of my cell phone) I don't answer.

I never answer if I don't know the number. I check my voice mail instead.

I often don't answer even when it's someone in my contacts. I pay for the phone. It's for my convenience not everyone else's and some people just talk too much. :tongue:

No one ever calls me that I don't want to talk to. :)

And I prolly send 100-200 texts a day as well.

I'm the opposite.. I don't use a cell phone.. only a land line.

I do the same.

I haven't had a land line in years. It was redundant once I got a cell phone, so why pay for it?

do any americans still have rotary phones?
I have about six of them even older and fancier than del's. They all work. But now they are gathering dust. I got rid of the landline about 5 years ago when the AOL dial up service we were using caused us to get extra charges even though AOL denied up and down that they rerouted calls.

You can never get anything resolved through AOL if something ever goes wrong. You are lucky if you get a human being on the line.

I only use my cell but I'm thinking of getting one home phone just because you don't have to charge them up and the sound quality is so much better.

Forum List

Back