Off the HOOK!

I hate cell phones, every mook wants to get ahold of me 24 hours a day.

I like my old land line, where i can see who is calling and happily ignore them. :razz:

You can never get anything resolved through AOL if something ever goes wrong. You are lucky if you get a human being on the line.

I only use my cell but I'm thinking of getting one home phone just because you don't have to charge them up and the sound quality is so much better.

A couple years after my problem with AOL I was asked to be in a class action suit. Apparently they'd been pulling the same stunt all over the country.

I got rid of my land line a few months ago, it was a waste of money really, since I'm already paying for cell phone service with Verizon. I don't even use up my 700 minutes a month on that.

Anyone else still have land lines, and use them a lot?

Or have you gone way of the cell phone too?

We got rid of our land line years ago. We had a VoIP phone for minute, but even that wasn't worth it.

We have our Verizon family plan and do just fine.

I heard a report on the radio yesterday that for the first time people with cell phone only outnumber people with landline only 20% to 17%.

Hubby and I each have a cell phone but rarely use it. I use mine mainly for work (so I can turn it off and not get bugged by sales reps at 10 at night). I text college kid some but I'm not much of a phone talker to begin with. My mother can't fathom this as she was born with a phone connected to her ear. We just went cordless a few years ago (due to kid issues) but still have two land lines, cause we had them so we use them. I loved rotary phones; the whole dial thing and the weight and shape of the handset part of the phone. I don't like these cordless and cell phones; I can't cradle them on my shoulder and talk like with a rotary phone. Bah! lol

Hmmm, EZ you have given me food for thought. Maybe we should get rid of the land lines altogether and just go cell. We use Virgin mobile pay as you go but college kid has Verizon; maybe I should look into a family plan - might be cheaper than having VM and land lines.

Amanda - your point of not missing a call (or being 'reachable' 24/7) is the exact reason why I don't like cell phones. Probably just me though. :)

Question - we need a land line for our desk top for DSL for internet. If we bagged the land lines, what are the internet options? Cable? Is a phone line required for this?

Just get your Internet through cable or if Verizon has FiOS in your area, that's an option too.

I hate cell phones, every mook wants to get ahold of me 24 hours a day.

I like my old land line, where i can see who is calling and happily ignore them. :razz:

I will never give up my cell. I work about an hour away from my hometown so I stay up here most of the time. I want my family to be able to contact me whenever they need to.

I'm seriously thinking about a landline though.

Amanda - your point of not missing a call (or being 'reachable' 24/7) is the exact reason why I don't like cell phones. Probably just me though. :)

You don't have to answer, you know.

If my phone rings and your name isn't on my caller ID, (of my cell phone) I don't answer.

Does anyone else do this? I figure if it's important, they'll leave a message.

My wife won't. I might. Depends on if I'm in a good mood or not. I'll only give you to the count of one to start talking though. If you don't say something I like (and I don't know you) by the count of 5, you're history.

You don't have to answer, you know.

:lol: I often don't! We frequently screen our calls through the answering machine. Are we archaic that we even have an answering machine? I can't get it to die.

That part is easy. Call your phone company and turn off your LL service. Then unplug the answering machine and throw it in the big garbage can outside. Now it's dead. :)

Question - we need a land line for our desk top for DSL for internet. If we bagged the land lines, what are the internet options? Cable? Is a phone line required for this?

Just get your Internet through cable or if Verizon has FiOS in your area, that's an option too.

Satellite is becoming a reasonable option too - especially in places where you can't get cable or DSL, etc.

Satellite is becoming a reasonable option too - especially in places where you can't get cable or DSL, etc.

Our clients that have to use satellite because they have no other options are not too happy. However, it might be ok for personal use.

Our clients that have to use satellite because they have no other options are not too happy. However, it might be ok for personal use.

What are their biggest issues with it? I was looking into that, since I'm kind of out in the sticks and have few options. I have the Verizon mobile internet card (or whatever you call it) right now. It's ok. A bit tedious though.

What are their biggest issues with it? I was looking into that, since I'm kind of out in the sticks and have few options. I have the Verizon mobile internet card (or whatever you call it) right now. It's ok. A bit tedious though.

Speed mostly. Occasionally, connectivity.

If you have good signal, I'd keep what you have unless you want a shared connection for multiple PCs.

I prefer txting too but sometimes your text message is delayed and you have no way of knowing. Sometimes I get texts at 3 in the morning that my sister sent the afternoon before. It's not reliable for making plans with people.

when you call 911 how do they know where you are.............

in most states, 911 calls on cell phones are handled by regional centers operated by the state police. they determine where you are and then call the appropriate local agency. i have a friend who had a heart attack and called 911 on his cell. he died. i don't know that the lack of a landline made any difference, but i do know a cell 911 call has latency built into it.

that's the reason i keep my landline. it's even got push buttons contrary to what some would have you believe.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back