Obama's speech to Hispanic caucus gala leaves out CREATOR when he quotes the Preamble

I thought you didn't want to play with me anymore?

I don't care to hear any more of your delusional, obfuscating drivel on the subject of evolution. At the point where your posts on THIS subject resemble those (and at this rate, I see that happening very soon), I'll stop paying attention to you in this thread, too.

Yeah, you don't care to look like a giant, uninformed ass anymore.

Hey, I made a mistake on this thread.

In comparison to you and evolution that's one for you and 500 for me.

The difference between you and me? I admit when I make a mistake.

Now let the rage seeth through you.

No, the difference between you and me is that YOU have ample cause to admit you've made mistakes.

preamble
When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Like I said, that's a topic sentence, not a preamble.

Ask any scholar of the Declaration of Independence and they will tell you that is the preamble.

The Declaration of Independence is made up of five distinct parts: the introduction; the preamble; the body, which can be divided into two sections; and a conclusion.

INTRODUCTION

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

PREAMBLE
Some claim all of this is the preamble:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
Declaration of Independence: Preamble

::snore:: "I found a website that arbitrarily divided up the Declaration and called the divisions by name, so that means ALL SCHOLARS agree!"

Read the definition of the word "preamble". While it may make it easier to discuss the various sentences in the Declaration to assign them names, it does not in actuality have a preamble, which is why - as I already said, and you decided to gloss over - the various websites touted on this thread each refer to a DIFFERENT SENTENCE as being the preamble.

By the way, the sentence YOU have chosen to believe is the "preamble to the Declaration" isn't the one Obama was quoting.

That's not a preamble. That's a topic sentence.
preamble
When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

How come you are leaving the rest of Part 1 (not a preamble) out?

Because every website mentioned has a different definition of which sentence is the apocryphal "preamble".

::sigh:: Quantum, I love you, and God knows I hate to have to contradict you on something like this, but the fact is, the Declaration doesn't really have a Preamble. The desire of some people to break it up into sections and attach labels to them is entirely THEIR little red wagon, and has no real meaning except to them.

If you look at pictures of the original Declaration and Constitution, you can see that the Constitution was written in sections, clearly labeled, and the entire document is headed with a separate section, what we call the Preamble. In other words, it was actually written and formatted to have one. The Declaration, on the other hand, is just one big chunk, not even broken into paragraphs, let alone sections. The most you can say is that it has a topic sentence, lots of exposition, and a concluding statement.

If you click on your links, you'll notice that they're each referring to different sections of text as the "Preamble".

Every properly constructed document contains a preamble, even if we call it the theme statement or topic sentence. The theme of the Declaration of Independence is actually the second paragraph, which makes it the preamble. The only link I posted that does not agree with this is the single link I would not use if I was writing a formal thesis.

Since the Declaration was written by one man there was no need to break it into sections like the Constitution.

No, by definition, a topic sentence is NOT a preamble, nor is a theme statement.

And you posted multiple links which didn't agree with each other on which sentence or section was the "preamble".

I already posted the definition of "Preamble". Not doing it again. Go back and look at it. It is a prior statement of intent. A preamble to the Declaration, had one existed, would have said (paraphrased), "We are now going to tell you our plans for going independent, and why we have decided to do so". The Declaration doesn't do that. It goes straight to "We are out of here, effective immediately, because you guys are all assholes" (also paraphrased). It may be more flowery than I phrased it, but it still jumps right to the meat of the matter, with no intro.

Oh, and the Declaration most certainly was not written by one man. The draft was written PRIMARILY by one man, but by that same token, you could say movie scripts are written by one man, and we all know THAT ain't true. Ever seen the text of the original draft Jefferson submitted, compared to what actually got signed? That sucker had quite a bit of input from a bunch of folks betwixt and between.

It isn't a Preamble. But I suppose most people can find anything stupid to fit their stupidity, eh? You just did.

1: an introductory statement; especially : the introductory part of a constitution or statute that usually states the reasons for and intent of the law
2: an introductory fact or circumstance; especially : one indicating what is to follow

Preamble - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

And I suppose people can forget that words and their usage can change over time in order to blind themselves to the fact that they made a mistake.

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation. We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shown that Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security. Such has been the patient Sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the Necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The History of the present King of Great- Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.

That final sentence clearly frames this as an introduction to the facts to follow which justify the separation of the United States from Great Britain. Just because preamble has come to apply only to the Constitution in common usage in the United States, that does not mean it is the only use of the word.

Quantum, even if the word "preamble" had changed meaning over the last two hundred-plus years - which it hasn't - it wouldn't matter.

There's a huge difference between the lead-in provided by a topic sentence and the formal introduction to a document provided by a preamble. You don't need a prior statement of intent for a declaration, because a declaration - by definition - states its own intent. Laws, on the other hand, require explanation for their passage, which is why the definition of "preamble" says that they're linked with constitutions or statutes.

Think of it like a prologue. The Constitution has one. The Declaration of Independence just jumps right into the story.

That's not a preamble. That's a topic sentence.

Preamble = Topic Sentence = Preamble

Topic sentence - : a sentence that states the main thought of a paragraph or of a larger unit of discourse and is usually placed at or near the beginning

It's part of the writing itself. It's not an announcement of the intent of the document to follow, like a preamble is.

It is a sad state of affairs that people are so shaky on the basics of English composition in this day and age that they are unable to reason for themselves instead of latching on to someone else's careless use of a word - on the Internet, no less - and allowing it to make them sloppy and imprecise. Just goes to show that a little knowledge really is a dangerous thing.

Ask any scholar of the Declaration of Independence and they will tell you that is the preamble.

The Declaration of Independence is made up of five distinct parts: the introduction; the preamble; the body, which can be divided into two sections; and a conclusion.

INTRODUCTION

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

PREAMBLE

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

::snore:: "I found a website that arbitrarily divided up the Declaration and called the divisions by name, so that means ALL SCHOLARS agree!"

Read the definition of the word "preamble". While it may make it easier to discuss the various sentences in the Declaration to assign them names, it does not in actuality have a preamble, which is why - as I already said, and you decided to gloss over - the various websites touted on this thread each refer to a DIFFERENT SENTENCE as being the preamble.

By the way, the sentence YOU have chosen to believe is the "preamble to the Declaration" isn't the one Obama was quoting.
Read the definition of the word "preamble".

OK
pre·am·ble   /ˈpriˌæmbəl, priˈæm-/ Show Spelled
[pree-am-buhl, pree-am-] Show IPA

–noun
1. an introductory statement; preface; introduction.
2. the introductory part of a statute, deed, or the like, stating the reasons and intent of what follows.
3. a preliminary or introductory fact or circumstance: His childhood in the slums was a preamble to a life of crime.
4. ( initial capital letter ) the introductory statement of the U.S. Constitution, setting forth the general principles of American government and beginning with the words, “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union. …”
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/preamble

I really don't understand what your argument is? There is a preamble to the Declaration of Independence

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR61uTGTFoM]YouTube - Obama Leaves "By their Creator" Out of Declaration of Independence at Hispanic Caucus Speech[/ame]

Can't mention that CREATOR!!!!!!!!!!

FUNNY that he cites the words of the Declaration of Indepedence but can't bring himself to cite these WORDS from the Declaration:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Instead he SKIPS over this and says this instead:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, endowed with certain unalienable rights, life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Now you liberals can scream all you want that this was a mistake on Obama's part. That he didn't have his teleprompter in front of him and he goofed.

DOES ANYONE REALLY BELIEVE THAT?

Or is it more possible that Obama in his POLITICAL CORRECTNESS just couldn't bring himself to quote the Declaration ACCURATELY because it didn't sit with his "sensibilities," aka he knows his audience wouldn't LIKE the Declaration being quoted more accurately.

But WHO ENDOWS US WITH THOSE RIGHTS OBAMA???????? YOU???????

Is that why you couldn't bring yourself to cite the Declaration correctly? You didn't want to remind your audience rights don't come from the government, they come from God?

He's real mainstream isn't he liberals?

Keep this up Obama! America is listening and November is coming!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Merged with existing thread on topic.

INTRODUCTION

PREAMBLE

Won't let me pos rep you again, Cecilie. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Not surprising from a guy who thinks there are 57 states in the USA and whose only writing absolutely from his own pen is, "We go play hoop with the choom gang."

well well

SNIP:
See if you can find the words "endowed by their creator" in this clip, Obama's speech Wednesday night to the Hispanic caucus skips right over it. (Notice the long pause)
YouTube - Pr.Obama - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal' - CHCI

via weselzippers

OBAMA: "We all shared the same land. We didn’t always get along. But over the centuries, what eventually bound us together, what made us all Americans, was not a matter of blood, it wasn’t a matter of birth. It was faith and fidelity to the shared values that we all hold so dear. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, endowed with certain inalienable rights: life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

read the rest here.
HotAirPundit: Obama's Speech to the Hispanic Caucus Gala Leaves out the word "Creator" When He Quotes the Preamble (Video)

You punks find the absolute dumbest shit to cry about. We're fucking killing people and running secret prisons and this is your fucking priority?????

:rofl: :rofl:

The Declaration of Independence doesn't HAVE a Preamble.

And there's already been a thread on this....apparently you took your OP from the same LAME source.

A) I checked for a thread on this and didn't see it. If I missed it, I'm sorry.

B) You're wrong about the Declaration not having a preamble:

Google

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR61uTGTFoM
FUNNY that he cites the words of the Declaration of Indepedence but can't bring himself to cite these WORDS from the Declaration:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
Instead he SKIPS over this and says this instead:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, endowed with certain unalienable rights, life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

omg.jpg

This so-called preamble should be modified to read:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal as long as they are white and were born in the USA, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It should also be known that the Creator did not believe in socialized medicine”

This so-called preamble should be modified to read:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal as long as they are white and were born in the USA, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It should also be known that the Creator did not believe in socialized medicine”

:eusa_eh::eusa_eh::eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back