Obama's Labor Secretary: Illegal Aliens Have a ‘Right to a Legal Wage’

i don't think that's what he's saying.

and the law says that everyone is entitled to minimum wage b/c being allowed to pay illegals differently would be against public policy and an incentive to hire illegals.

i assume you don't have a problem with that.

and, for the record, he's right about the cost of health care. we're the only 'civilized' country in the world who doesn't take care of it's own.
All he ever does is bitch about America. But he's here sucking up our resources.

Ungrateful bastard. He needs to go back home.

i haven't seen that.

but i see a lot of rightwingnut immigrant hating lunatics on the board (not referring to you. you know that) .... which, frankly, is looking like a cesspool since i was away for two weeks.
The fact that one objects to illegal immigration does not mean that person is an "immigrant hater"...It means he opposes illegal immigration. Period.
Why is it none of you libs will answer as to why you are so interested in illegals being granted free entry into the US and by extension an open border with Mexico.
Furthermore, how is it you libs grabbed the term "illegal immigrant" and equated that with racism?
I submit that those who translate "illegal immigrant" to Latino are THE RACISTS because you make a broad brush statement.

I don't get it...doesn't anyone in Washington understand that illegal aliens have NO RIGHTS BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL. What about the millions of Americans who are without jobs right now? Don't they have the right to a legal wage?

I don't get it...doesn't anyone in Washington understand that illegal aliens have NO RIGHTS BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL. What about the millions of Americans who are without jobs right now? Don't they have the right to a legal wage?

They represent an exploitable group you can turn into votes for Democrats.

Wonder if you can deport them minus all the wages they earned illegally?
Problem is, almost all of 'em send it straight back down south on pay day.

Here in so-cal, if you go down into the neighborhoods they infest, on pay days, you'll see 'em lined up ouitside the check cashing places wiring most of their money back home.

how does a non citizen vote?

how does a non citizen vote?

At least they can walk in on their own. We got dead people voting too.

The agreement protects both legal and illegal workers. Solis said the agreements are aimed at educating migrant workers, regardless of how they got here, about their rights under U.S. law and to help prevent them from being abused in the workplace, either through wages, loss of job, or deportation. It may come as a surprise but illegals do have rights.

I seriously doubt that the agreement grants any additional rights.
Labor Dept. Signs 'Partnerships' with Foreign Gov

They don't HAVE any labor rights, because they're NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE WORKING.
That's not so. Illegal aliens do have protection under the law just as convicted felons. Wage and hour laws apply to everyone just as our criminal codes do. Because you violate the law does not mean you lose all rights and the protection of the law.

Just as police and our courts inform criminals of their rights, the government has the right to inform illegal aliens of their rights.

The agreement protects both legal and illegal workers. Solis said the agreements are aimed at educating migrant workers, regardless of how they got here, about their rights under U.S. law and to help prevent them from being abused in the workplace, either through wages, loss of job, or deportation. It may come as a surprise but illegals do have rights.

they have a right to steal in illegally, still our jobs, steal our social security and steal our elections. you dumpasses gave them all those rights. you don't pay taxes so it ain't no skin off your teeth Real Taxpayers in America have to foot the bill for all the rights you dumpasses have bestowed upon illegals, you just down right un American is what you izzz.

They don't HAVE any labor rights, because they're NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE WORKING.
That's not so. Illegal aliens do have protection under the law just as convicted felons. Wage and hour laws apply to everyone just as our criminal codes do. Because you violate the law does not mean you lose all rights and the protection of the law.

Just as police and our courts inform criminals of their rights, the government has the right to inform illegal aliens of their rights.

I'd prefer they just dump 'em off somewhere south of the Rio Grande.

Illegal alliens have no rights in the work place or any where else in this country. The only right they have is the right to leave.
The Bill of Rights applies to everyone, even illegal immigrants. So an immigrant, legal or illegal, prosecuted under the criminal code has the right to due process, a speedy and public trial, and other rights protected by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments. This fact sheet from the National Lawyers Guild outlines a host of rights afforded to immigrants and citizens alike. (There are a few rights reserved for citizens. Among them are the right to vote, the right to hold most federal jobs, and the right to run for political office.

And yes, wage and hour laws and most other laws apply to illegal aliens.

Do Noncitizens Have Constitutional Rights? - Chris Suellentrop - Slate Magazine

Illegal aliens should not have the right to anything other than emergency medical attention, reasonably humane treatment, and enough cheap food and water to prevent starvation and dehydration for the brief time it takes to deport them. All people here illegally should be subject to a fine that will be larger with each subsequent offense.

The kids who have been transported and abandoned here and actually have no home country to return to are a different category and we do need to make some kind of reasonable accommodation for them. For those born here, give their parents an option. The parents can take the kid back to the home country or leave him/her here where s/he will become a ward of the state.

Everybody else who is otherwise here illegally should be treated the same. Those who have been here for years should not be rewarded just because they have been here longer than others. That's just putting up a neon sign over America: Ya'll come and if you just lay low for a little while, they'll let you stay. To deport the short timers but not the long termers is like saying the guy guilty of manslaughter gets the death penalty while the serial killer should get probation.

I think everybody here illegally should be required to depart the country. Those who do so voluntarily will be eligible for work permits provided they have a sponsor and a job to come back to. Employers should be responsible for seeing that any guest workers do go home to Mexico or wherever when the job is ended, however. We'll have to think of an equitable policy for those who own and run businesses here.

None should be eligible for citizenship except through normal citizenship processes and should have to get in the back of the line just like everybody who comes here legally has to do.

And we need a Constitutional amendment that children with U.S. citizen parents are automatically citizens and you don't become a citizen just because your mom happened to be in the USA when she gave birth.

I would like to believe that Jarhead, but these employers don't expect to be caught. That is why they feel its okay to use them to begin with.
That may be so but when the INS rounds up some illegals that know their rights, some will spill the beans to INS about wage and hour violations. Employers may just decide hiring illegals is just not worth taking the chance. Anything we can do that reduces job opportunities for illegal aliens will help stop the flow across the boarder.

If America sucks so bad, get the hell out.

I agree. Don't like it here. Think it sucks you can alway pack your ditti bag and go back where you came from.

Wonder if Mexico will provide free HC if your illegal in their Country??

Ain't holding my breath.

Folks. We are BROKE and we have loads of Americans who receive everything on the taxpayer dime.

We cannot afford to dispense free medical care to illegal non citizens.

One more time, WE ARE BROKE.
Mexican immigration laws are far more draconian than ours. Yet the Professionally Perpetually Offended never say a word about that.
No of course not. If a foreign national is caught in Mexico without documentation, they are jailed until they get a hearing. Then they are jailed for as long as it takes to pay off the locals to get out of jail. A second offense is a virtual life in prison.

Illegal aliens should not have the right to anything other than emergency medical attention, reasonably humane treatment, and enough cheap food and water to prevent starvation and dehydration for the brief time it takes to deport them. All people here illegally should be subject to a fine that will be larger with each subsequent offense.
In which case we need to add "unless you are an illegal alien" to most of the bill rights as well as a number of other places in the constitution. Some people seem to believe our constitution should only apply to select groups of people. There are many countries where that is the case, but not in the US.

In which case we need to add "unless you are an illegal alien" to most of the bill rights as well as a number of other places in the constitution. Some people seem to believe our constitution should only apply to select groups of people. There are many countries where that is the case, but not in the US.

All the Constitution guarantees to those who break the law in this country is a speedy trial when warranted, a jury of their peers when warranted, and that the State will impose 'no cruel or unusual punishment.' The law is clear that those who enter the country illegally will be deported. There is nothing in the policy I propose that violates the Constitution in any way.

Forum List

Back