Obamanites

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BrianH, May 19, 2008.

1. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    [​IMG]

"During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart." -- United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171

Obama's reasoning behind not placing his hand over his heart for the U.S. flag and anthem....“As I’ve said about the flag pin, I don’t want to be perceived as taking sides,” Obama said. “There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song ‘I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing.’ If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.”

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of us being a nation?? Let's change our anthem and flag because other nations may not like it?? He fails to see that many nations before us have viewed the U.S. flag as a sign of strength and freedom. (I.E. the countries liberated in World War II.)

I understand that Obama has since decided to do so, but why the change? And why would he go back on his statement about not wanting to solute it? I just don't trust this guy. Just my opinion....

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    A presidential hopeful doesn't want to be perceived as taking the side of the US? What's the alternative? I've never been able to figure out that idiotic statement. Or why he'd be so stupid as to make it...

3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,198

*shakes head the stupidity of it all*

I mean, you Yanks are actually TOLD to hold your hand over your heart?? Christ, that is beyond pathetic. You guys are soooo patriotic it is no surprise you have expansionist tendancies around the rest of the world. We all just need "saving" from ourselves and embrace American culture and the way you run your society.

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,001
    i've noticed that BHO is wearing the flag pin again

so it must not be "false patriotism" anymore

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I know. I wish our country was the raging success of yours.....

We actually sing the national anthem as well.

But you would be proud. I went to a "diversity day" celebration a couple of weeks ago. There were three flags there...none of them American. An elderly singing group sang a series of patriotic songs, and nobody sang along, stood, and barely applauded.

But the Mexican lady who danced got a standing ovation and cheers.

6. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    It's not that hard to be successful like us. Try fiscal responsibility and not interferring in other countries' policies. It works wonders, and leads to a healthy balance of payments...

7. MsWikia

MsWikia Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Who cares about the National Anthem?? I understand the President of the U.S. should respect it even if he disagrees with it. However, that's the good thing about Obama, hes not into legalism; he's about changing the way things are done so that every American, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc feel represented in this country.

I tell you, people are trying to find anything they can on him to prove he is not a worthy candidate, well all that matters is the numbers, and the numbers are in his favor!!
    :cool:

8. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Do try and avoid posting lies.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/stance.asp

No...your not biased at all. :rolleyes:

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,747
    No. It isn't required as far as I know. You're just supposed to stand up.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,747
    Oh jeebus, Brian, don't pull a Mani on us.