Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term

I dont agree. The courts are taking powers that were devolved to the legislatures. Basically you are allowing federally appointed people to make your laws for you. We might as well have a nobility at that point, because that is what we are creating.

You dont see a problem with one branch of the government trumping another? Even worse its the very branch that is supposed to be the referee in the situation. Its like allowing a football ref to decide its now 12 yards for a 1st down instead of 10.

It is our system of checks and balances. It has worked for 235 years

Our supreme court does act like referees. They do not make the rules but they are the ones who spot the ball

I have to disagree there. Roe V. Wade was the court making a rule. No where is the consitution is there a right to an abortion. The court made crap up, and we are left with the divided results to this day.

In the case of abortion, they pulled a "lucy" on charlie brown by pulling the ball away altogether.

The Constitution is not a cookbook. It does not provide a receipe for what ingredients you are allowed to use in running your country

The Constitution provides the kitchen. The three branches of government and how they operate. Each generation gets to decide what they wil cook in their Constitutional kitchen

So you would rather have 9 people decide what is a right than an entire coutry via the amendment process?

I don't ask judges to determine was is "right", it's not there job, their job is to determine was is legal (lower courts) and Constitutional (SCOTUS).

Just remember any "right" you win via the courts can be taken away just as easily. With a amendment, not so much.

Depends on the Amendment. Looks like Prop 8 (an amendement) will be struck down as a target removal of rights (although the decision will likely be narrowly tailored to fit California).

As for amendments, they are as easy to repeal as they were to pass. Only take 50% +1 to repeal them (as in State amendments).

How does the 14th apply to the federal government if it specifically calls out the states to provide equal protection?

Section 3 of DOMA was found unconstitutional under the 5th Amendment.

Man, if liberals were this interpretive of the 2nd amendment, we would all be required to have howitzers in our backyards.

Not a liberal. I support 2nd Amendment rights.

>>>>

Maybe in some states, but we have only had 1 amendment repealed in the history of the US, and that was prohibition, which was one of the dumbest amendments ever written. Repealing a federal amendment is much much harder. People new prohbition stunk 5 years into it, but it took the depression to finally get the backing to get rid of it.

No one expected Obama to "fight for gay marriage". Although they hope he will choose liberal supreme court justices.

Why do libs lie to themselves? I could give you empirical evidence to the contrary; but I'll just let you lie to yourself. You got your guy. You won the us vs. them election and that's what counts right? Good job.

Then....do so.

Barack Obama isn’t exactly famous for his loyalty; he has a history of jettisoning people once they’ve outlived their usefulness to him. This time, it’s the gay community.

On Friday, Obama told an MTV audience that he would not fight for gay marriage his second term, intoning that “it would be up to future generations of Americans to implement meaningful reform.”

Here’s the kicker; realizing that some states are now endorsing gay marriage, Obama suddenly became a champion of states’ rights, asserting, “For us to try to legislate federally into this area is probably the wrong way to go.”

Obama Won't Fight For Gay Marriage His Second Term

Laughing at liberals all the way! :lol::lol:

Not a problem with this for three reasons:

1. He's already done more than any other President in our history.

2. At least he's not working against us like Romney would have.

3. It's now in the states and Supreme Court's lap.

You lie to yourself, A. Romney would not have touched you and B. It's always been in the hands of the States, Remember how you asswarps tried to crucify North Carolina for their choice. You really don't believe in choice do you, and thirdly this is lame excuses since he's now dumpted you cause. It was only to get ;himself re elected.. his "evolving" statement should have given you a clue.

Evolving statements.....hmmmm, like Billy Graham's evolving statement on Mormons, I suppose.

Maybe in some states, but we have only had 1 amendment repealed in the history of the US, and that was prohibition, which was one of the dumbest amendments ever written. Repealing a federal amendment is much much harder. People new prohbition stunk 5 years into it, but it took the depression to finally get the backing to get rid of it.

Since the only amendments that have passed have been at the State level, that's what I assumed you were speaking of. Those passed with 50%+1 and can be repealed in the same way.

Discussing the difficulty in repealing a Federal Amendment limiting States ability to choose to provide for Same-sex Civil Marriage is a little premature. First of all such an amendment would need to pass, since polls show a majority of Americans disfavor such an amendment, which is highly unlikley. Before one would need to be repealed, it would need to be passed.

>>>>

So you would rather have 9 people decide what is a right than an entire coutry via the amendment process? How oligarchical of you.

Just remember any "right" you win via the courts can be taken away just as easily. With a amendment, not so much.

How does the 14th apply to the federal government if it specifically calls out the states to provide equal protection?

Man, if liberals were this interpretive of the 2nd amendment, we would all be required to have howitzers in our backyards.

Majority rule is mob rule.
The majority wanted segregation.
Supreme Court interprets The Constitution.
If you do not like that then move to a country that has majority, mob rule.
We don't.
Nothing about liberals, THE LAW.

Segregation was against the intent of the amendments, a court CREATED the problem. It took courts AND legislation to solve it.

Its almost like liberals want to get rid of legislatures entirely, and let judges rule us by fiat, like unelected kings, appointed by the wise and mighty obama.

It would be Republican lawyers that have argued the case IN SUPPORT of gay marriage in many cases.
Ted Olson, "gay marriage is a conservative value"
As hard as you try to make this a liberal versus conservative battle you will never get there.

As hard as you try to make this a liberal versus conservative battle you will never get there.

They'll try, because these types don't know what being a Goldwater Conservative really means.

>>>>

Exactly my point as Dad, the old Marine Captain, was a Goldwater conservative.
And just like Goldwater did, Dad predicted the decline of the Republican party because of the religious right.

Gay marriage will become less and less a line issue as more gays come out to their conservative friend and family.

I expect Same-sex Civil Marriage (sorry I hate the term "gay marriage", no offense) will become less and less a line issue for a couple of reasons:

1. LGBT people don't have to worry about criminal prosecution, so they are able to live more out in the open which means that more and more people are interacting with LGBT people and learning that - in general - they are regular people in most aspects of their lives.

2. I think the repeal of DADT will have an impact as the military is a melting pot of the country, as people serve and interact with LGBT people and again see them as regular folks instead of how they were indoctrinated at their parents knee or in Church, they will take that with them. Just like the integration of the military, IMHO, had a huge impact on the recognition of Civil Rights in this country for racial minorities.

>>>>

What does DOMA violate if the 14th amendment is a restriction on the states?

Also, note you have determined a "line" where, in your opinion, equal protection does not apply. All I am doing is moving that line to the opposite side the gay marriage issue.

Once you can move the line on a "right", how much of a right is it? Wouldnt it be better to have it defined via legislation, or if really in favor of it, by amendment? If it is as popular as people say, getting it into various state consitutions should not be an issue. Then you would have a better fight against DOMA on 10th amendment grounds.

I don't believe the 14th amendment is restricted to states

You are welcome to cite any case law saying it doesn't apply to the federal government

Popularity is irrelevant. People should not have the right to vote on what rights others are entitled to have

So you would rather have 9 people decide what is a right than an entire coutry via the amendment process? How oligarchical of you.

‘Nine people’ aren’t deciding anything.

If states and local jurisdiction simply followed Constitutional case law and refrained from violating their residents’ civil liberties, there wouldn’t be anything for judges and justices to ‘decide.’

You make the same mistake as most conservatives: creating this myth of a ‘tyrannical’ Federal government unilaterally ‘attacking’ helpless, innocent states; when in fact it’s residents of those states who are merely seeking relief from the tyranny of the states in Federal court.

The Supreme Court has always had interpretive authority as to what the Constitution means in the context of the doctrine of judicial review; and the courts don’t ‘make up’ rights, they simply acknowledge existing rights and exact greater limitations on governments to restrict those rights.

The 14th Amendment, among other things, requires the states to afford all persons within a state equal protection of the law, absent a compelling, legitimate reason.

“A State cannot so deem a class of persons a stranger to its laws.” Romer v. Evans (1996).

Thus a state cannot so deem a class of persons a stranger to its marriage law.

The right to privacy, the right to marry, substantive due process, and incorporation doctrine are all tenets of Constitutional jurisprudence explored and acknowledged as settled law by conservative judges and justices – both liberal and conservative jurists of good faith are in agreement. It is only conservative ideologues who object to this accepted and accurate understanding of the Founding Document.

Majority rule is mob rule.
The majority wanted segregation.
Supreme Court interprets The Constitution.
If you do not like that then move to a country that has majority, mob rule.
We don't.
Nothing about liberals, THE LAW.

Segregation was against the intent of the amendments, a court CREATED the problem. It took courts AND legislation to solve it.

Its almost like liberals want to get rid of legislatures entirely, and let judges rule us by fiat, like unelected kings, appointed by the wise and mighty obama.

It would be Republican lawyers that have argued the case IN SUPPORT of gay marriage in many cases.
Ted Olson, "gay marriage is a conservative value"

My objection is to the method, as opposed to the end result. As I have said before, if Gay marriage came up as a state vote, i would vote for it. I do not, however see it as a "right"
enjoined by equal protection under the 14th amendment.

I am a strict constructionist. Courts should only clarify the consitution, and defer to legislatures when possible. I am one of the "conservatives" that did not have an issue with Robert's court decsion on Obamacare as constructed.

I don't believe the 14th amendment is restricted to states

You are welcome to cite any case law saying it doesn't apply to the federal government

Popularity is irrelevant. People should not have the right to vote on what rights others are entitled to have

‘Nine people’ aren’t deciding anything.

If states and local jurisdiction simply followed Constitutional case law and refrained from violating their residents’ civil liberties, there wouldn’t be anything for judges and justices to ‘decide.’

You make the same mistake as most conservatives: creating this myth of a ‘tyrannical’ Federal government unilaterally ‘attacking’ helpless, innocent states; when in fact it’s residents of those states who are merely seeking relief from the tyranny of the states in Federal court.

The Supreme Court has always had interpretive authority as to what the Constitution means in the context of the doctrine of judicial review; and the courts don’t ‘make up’ rights, they simply acknowledge existing rights and exact greater limitations on governments to restrict those rights.

The 14th Amendment, among other things, requires the states to afford all persons within a state equal protection of the law, absent a compelling, legitimate reason.

“A State cannot so deem a class of persons a stranger to its laws.” Romer v. Evans (1996).

Thus a state cannot so deem a class of persons a stranger to its marriage law.

The right to privacy, the right to marry, substantive due process, and incorporation doctrine are all tenets of Constitutional jurisprudence explored and acknowledged as settled law by conservative judges and justices – both liberal and conservative jurists of good faith are in agreement. It is only conservative ideologues who object to this accepted and accurate understanding of the Founding Document.

First of all, an amendment is not part of the "founding document", it is an amendment. And second, again, you may feel marriage by gays is a right, but it is nowhere in the consitution as a right. Its the same as abortion, merely a created "right" thought up by a judge who wished he was a legislator.

Keep quoting case law until you are blue in the face. to me the judiciary has overstepped its bounds ever since it corrected the mistake of plessy v. ferguson. It took a correct action, nullifying laws that were contrary to the intent of the reconstruction amendment writers, and took that as a mandate to fix all the wrongs it saw with the system, superseeding legislatures and the amendment process.

Since the only amendments that have passed have been at the State level, that's what I assumed you were speaking of. Those passed with 50%+1 and can be repealed in the same way.

Discussing the difficulty in repealing a Federal Amendment limiting States ability to choose to provide for Same-sex Civil Marriage is a little premature. First of all such an amendment would need to pass, since polls show a majority of Americans disfavor such an amendment, which is highly unlikley. Before one would need to be repealed, it would need to be passed.

>>>>

I am talking about amendments in general. Federal amendments require 2/3 legislature and 3/4 of the states.

I would also vote against any amendment banning gay marriage. Again, I merely object to the free use of the "equal protection" clause of the 14th amendment to basically make anything " a right" just because people like the idea.

First of all, an amendment is not part of the "founding document", it is an am endment.

Actually, once an amendment is passed, it becomes part of said document.

And second, again, you may feel marriage by gays is a right, but it is nowhere in the consitution as a right. Its the same as abortion, merely a created "right" thought up by a judge who wished he was a legislator.

Again...

1. Rights need not be enumerated in the Constitution to be held by the people (See 9th Amendment). The Constitution is a limiting document on government, not a list of rights that are held by the people.

2. You are correct, "Marriage" isn't listed as a right in the Constitution - however Due Process and Equal Protection under the laws are (See the 5th and 14th Amendments).

>>>>

Last edited:
I am talking about amendments in general. Federal amendments require 2/3 legislature and 3/4 of the states.

True, you weren't specific. We were talking about state amendments when you made the statement where you were corrected. Now it's switched to federal amendments.

Again though, it's hard to have to repeal a federal Constitutional amendment that hasn't (and isn't likely) to pass in the first place.

I would also vote against any amendment banning gay marriage. Again, I merely object to the free use of the "equal protection" clause of the 14th amendment to basically make anything " a right" just because people like the idea.

Wrong premise.

It's not just "because people like the idea", it's because that people have an enumerated right to equal treatment under the law be government unless there is a compelling government reason why such discriminatory action is warranted and they have the enumerated right under the 1st Amendment to challenge such discriminatory laws with the burden on the government to justify such actions.

As an enumerated right, it places limits on how the government functions.

>>>>>

Last edited:

Forum List

Back