Obama Will Lose In 2012

Bush was controversial, but his policies were not causing a dramatic increase in the "misery index". Unemployment was 5.4%; there was 3%ish inflation, but with high employment levels - the impact was somewhat mitigated.

You can ridicule the misery index as much as you'd like, but it is a very good indicator. And Obama's is quite dismal.

Um...then why isn't he less popular?

How did the MSM treat Bush vs. the way they currently treat Obama?

I don't know.

Why?

The fact is Obama is as popular as Bush (jr), Clinton, Reagan, or Carter was after being in office 800 days.

Are you implying that all these Presidents were more or less popular after 800 days because of how they were treated in MSM? If so, and you think Obama, and Clinton, and Carter, but, of COURSE not Reagan or Bush, have some MSM help?

You Vast MSM conspiracy plot begins to get more than a little thin: Regardless of MSM help or not, they ALL had about the same popularity after 800 Days.

Taking bets.

Who's in?

I have a hunch he's going to win.

I think he's probably the weakest incumbent President since Carter, but the GOP seem dead set on losing. If I were betting, I'd probably bet on Obama right now.

Obama wins easily. Leadership requires leaders and the republicans prove again and again they cannot govern. History does exist folks in spite of the corporate revisionists.

"Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"The United States, as the political scientist Louis Hartz argued in the 1950s, was born liberal. We fought for our independence against Great Britain and the conservatism that flourished there. In Europe, a conservative was someone who defended the traditions of the monarchy, justified the privileges of the nobility, and welcomed the intervention of a state-affiliated clergy in politics. But all those things would be tossed out by the revolutionaries who led the war for independence and then wrote the Constitution. We chose to have an elected president, not an anointed monarch. Our Constitution prohibited the granting of titles of nobility. We separated church and state. "

I think he's probably the weakest incumbent President since Carter, but the GOP seem dead set on losing. If I were betting, I'd probably bet on Obama right now.

Really?

What, exactly has the GOP done wrong?

It's more the crop of candidates they're looking at right now. If Romney can pull the nomination, Romney can beat Obama. But once you're past Romeny the current contenders are:

Trump: Could be a serious threat as he's pretty damn smart and has a good sense of show. The problem is Trump is a bit too blunt for politics and can rub folks the wrong way fast.

Huckabee: Sure. Good luck with that.

Newt: Has just as many, if not more, skeletons in his closet as Clinton, and has just as much bad history to run against.

Pawlenty: A poor man's Romney. Politically they're from the same cloth.

Palin: Could probably have the nomination if she wants it, but would almost certainly lose in the General. People are deeply polarized by her, which isn't a bad thing except moderates despise her and you can't win without the moderates.

Jindal: Will be running for re-election in Louisiana in 2011 (this year) and it looks like the DNC is going to fund a candidate just to deplete his war chest. Plus, his track record in Louisiana isn't exactly that great.

After that, you've got the folks with absolutely no name recognition. Then you have the folks that will be flat locked out by the Tea Party. And then you have the folks that will be shut down by the GOP leadership.

The GOP's dilema this year is that you can't just run as the Anti-Obama (Ask John Kerry how that worked for him), and to get the nomination you have to cater to too many special interests that are in deep conflict with each other. Once you manage to outspend your primary opponents, you have to face a sitting President that has a proven track record as a fund raiser.

The biggest thing the GOP has going for it is the fact that Obama can't lead worth squat. Anyone paying attention should be DEEPLY disturbed by the sheer lack of decision making skills his administration has shown in this first term. But that doesn't mean he'll be a push over. He's still an incredible campaigner, he's fairly good at keeping his base in line and reaching out to the moderates that decide elections, and he's going to have a boatload of $$$$$$$$$$$$ at his disposal to run a pretty strong campaign.

Bush was controversial, but his policies were not causing a dramatic increase in the "misery index". Unemployment was 5.4%; there was 3%ish inflation, but with high employment levels - the impact was somewhat mitigated.

You can ridicule the misery index as much as you'd like, but it is a very good indicator. And Obama's is quite dismal.

Um...then why isn't he less popular?

There's that.
But if you strip out his 90%+ approval rating in the black community his numbers looks even worse.

There's that.
But if you strip out his 90%+ approval rating in the black community his numbers looks even worse.

Yep, which would be relevant accept for the fact, and you may be aware of it already:

Blacks can vote.

And have shown that they're highly motivated to vote when Obama is on the ticket. So why even bother to make that comment? That's like saying Bush's approval ratings looked even worse without white christian males.

There's that.

Yep, which would be relevant accept for the fact, and you may be aware of it already:

Blacks can vote.

And have shown that they're highly motivated to vote when Obama is on the ticket. So why even bother to make that comment? That's like saying Bush's approval ratings looked even worse without white christian males.

Clearly the thought that Obama may win a second term is so excruciating to some, that they begin to thrive on the irrelevant.

This is also known as The GOP 2012 Election Strategy.

There's that.

Blacks can vote.

The word is "except."
Yes, but the high rating among blacks skews any polling results and masks the true disapproval rate.

Whoever the GOP fields will be pounding on OL'BO's failures, on his HC BS and anything else he can think of. Of course if the economy and jobs are vastly improved Barry will be pointing that out big time and of course taking the credit. If these two things are not improved then I don't believe he will get re-elected.

Americans have very short memories. Whats important today may not be remembered tomorrow. As long as the economy and jobs are moving right along the encumbant always has the edge.

Oh Yeah. Barry could very well win re-election.

As for black voters?? Most will vote for him simply because he's black.

Last edited:
The word is "except."
Yes, but the high rating among blacks skews any polling results and masks the true disapproval rate.

You probably ought to really think about what you post next. It seems like you're saying that the opinions of black people don't actually count towards the "Real" opinions on Obama.

Again, this is an a ridiculous argument. Why toss out a whole group of voters from "counting" towards the approval rate. What is the sense of that?

It's more the crop of candidates they're looking at right now. If Romney can pull the nomination, Romney can beat Obama. But once you're past Romeny the current contenders are:

Romney is the democrats choice, to be sure. The conservatives would stay home and the independents would have no actual choice. Two left wing candidates. What would Romney do, OPPOSE Obamacare?

After the 2008 debacle, I don't think the GOP will let the democrats choose their candidate again.

Trump: Could be a serious threat as he's pretty damn smart and has a good sense of show. The problem is Trump is a bit too blunt for politics and can rub folks the wrong way fast.

Agreed.

Palin: Could probably have the nomination if she wants it, but would almost certainly lose in the General. People are deeply polarized by her, which isn't a bad thing except moderates despise her and you can't win without the moderates.

Palin is a smart woman who cares about the party. For that reason, I don't think she will even seek the nomination.

After that, you've got the folks with absolutely no name recognition. Then you have the folks that will be flat locked out by the Tea Party. And then you have the folks that will be shut down by the GOP leadership.

What I'd like to see the GOP do is run Jan Brewer or Scott Walker. Have some balls and show some principles. I think Brewer would be unbeatable. The dems would attack her on SB1070 - INCREASING her popularity.

I ride the train to work, here in Los Angeles. About 90% of the people riding the train work for the government at some level, because they get free or sharply discounted tickets. The peasants have to pay $300 to $400 a month. This morning a federal aristocrat was explaining to a state aristocrat how best to game the system - how when he retired at 55, with 20 years of dining at the trough, he could manipulate things to get Social Security along with the 60% salary from the tax payers. He didn't comprehend the effect his pride in his larceny had on me and the other few peasants. The arrogance of the aristocracy gives someone like Scott Walker a HUGE support base. I don't know if the GOP has the guts to run either of these, but both could best Obama.

There's that.

Blacks can vote.

The word is "except."

Yeah, I shouldn't have had a couple of Corona's with lunch.

Do you have evidence that polling is disproportional, and samples more blacks than reflects the number of eligible black voters?

The word is "except."

You probably ought to really think about what you post next. It seems like you're saying that the opinions of black people don't actually count towards the "Real" opinions on Obama.

Again, this is an a ridiculous argument. Why toss out a whole group of voters from "counting" towards the approval rate. What is the sense of that?

You're the only one saying the opinions of blacks don't count.
I'm saying with a strong block like that it masks the overall approval rating in the country.

The word is "except."

Irrational fantacy is to feel better when reality sucks.

It wouldn't surprise me if the GOP begins sucking their thumbs and planning nappy-times.

Forum List

Back