Obama vs. the Supreme Court

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
Many people voted against Obama because of his stances on abortion and gun rights. I would like to know what he would be capable of doing regarding these issues, considering the Supreme Court recently made rulings on both of them.

the two most prevelant wedge issues are constantly recycled to have us at each other's throats vs. paying attention to what our governance is really doing Elvis

consider, if even a fraction of the rednecks where to be so enthusiastic about the entire constitution , as they are the 2nd amend, we'd truly be the guardians of it here

consider, the continual pitting of the religmo power base against the civil rights crowd's utter diversion from the stark raving realities of issue the governance is entrusted to mitigate falling right off the radar every election cycle

well, Stevens had said that since he was appointed by a Republican, he wouldnt resign under anyone but a republican
i kinda doubt he will keep that promise, unless he plans to stay till he dies

• Banned
well, Stevens had said that since he was appointed by a Republican, he wouldnt resign under anyone but a republican
i kinda doubt he will keep that promise, unless he plans to stay till he dies

Stevens tends to vote liberal on the court. How old is Breyer?

• Banned
Since these issues are big concerns to those who were afraid of Obama, I think we should discuss how much they have to worry about, considering the Court has ruled recently on both issues. What legal authority would Obama have to change these issues?

Stevens tends to vote liberal on the court. How old is Breyer?
i dont know, but i suspect Ginsburg will retire after this session, now that Obama won
so thats a lib being replaced by a lib
and you can bet it will sail through the senate
hell, i'm almost willing to bet Obama has his full cabinet approved by the end of march, no later than june

• Banned
i dont know, but i suspect Ginsburg will retire after this session, now that Obama won
so thats a lib being replaced by a lib
and you can bet it will sail through the senate
hell, i'm almost willing to bet Obama has his full cabinet approved by the end of march, no later than june

Ginsberg sailed thru the Senate 98-2. I can't remember which Congress it was, but she was confirmed by many republicans.

Since these issues are big concerns to those who were afraid of Obama, I think we should discuss how much they have to worry about, considering the Court has ruled recently on both issues. What legal authority would Obama have to change these issues?

I have no problem with liberals having all the abortions they want, I have no problem with liberals turning all their guns and money into the government for the good of all..

• Banned
I have no problem with liberals having all the abortions they want, I have no problem with liberals turning all their guns and money into the government for the good of all..

Fine. What authority does Obama have to make these things happen?

he now has the title of dear leader.. watch him go.

I was thinking about this today. I don't think he has the authority to take away guns or expand abortion, given the recent Supreme Court rulings. He can appoint judges to replace others, but the liberals in the Court right now are older than the conservatives. So what do people concerned about these issues have to worry about/look forward to?

I was thinking about this today. I don't think he has the authority to take away guns or expand abortion, given the recent Supreme Court rulings. He can appoint judges to replace others, but the liberals in the Court right now are older than the conservatives. So what do people concerned about these issues have to worry about/look forward to?
exactly
about all he can do to the court, is keep the status quo
unless someone dies/resigns unexpectedly

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-07-12-1706900246_x.htm

Scalia is the only conservative that is old, and he seems to be in good health

Last edited:
exactly
about all he can do to the court, is keep the status quo
unless someone dies/resigns unexpectedly

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-07-12-1706900246_x.htm

Scalia is the only conservative that is old, and he seems to be in good health

some of the talking heads on the tv have said that given the age of some of the judges they expect some resignations within the near future..

I reall don't concern myself too much with abortion. that's a losing battle, that's the kind of society we have evolved into,, we don't value life anymore. we singsong and dance around it but that's the naked truth. sad.

some of the talking heads on the tv have said that given the age of some of the judges they expect some resignations within the near future..

I reall don't concern myself too much with abortion. that's a losing battle, that's the kind of society we have evolved into,, we don't value life anymore. we singsong and dance around it but that's the naked truth. sad.
Roe v WAde needs to be over turned, it is bad law
all that would do is put it in the hands of the states, where it belongs
and NO, that wouldnt out law abortions, anyone that thinks it would doesnt understand the issues

Roe v WAde needs to be over turned, it is bad law
all that would do is put it in the hands of the states, where it belongs
and NO, that wouldnt out law abortions, anyone that thinks it would doesnt understand the issues

How, then, was it illegal until 1973?

How, then, was it illegal until 1973?

Because until 1973 the Supreme Court had as yet to contrive a manner in which to usurp the powers of the state under the 10th Amendment on the particular issue of abortion.

When they finally did, they dug Way OUT into left field with and pulled a right to privacy issue out of their asses.

Basically, the mother's right to privacy supercedes the child's right to breath.

Aren't WE civilized?:rolleyes:

Because until 1973 the Supreme Court had as yet to contrive a manner in which to usurp the powers of the state under the 10th Amendment on the particular issue of abortion.

When they finally did, they dug Way OUT into left field with and pulled a right to privacy issue out of their asses.

Basically, the mother's right to privacy supercedes the child's right to breath.

Aren't WE civilized?:rolleyes:

Is this the same court referred to in Dirty Harry?

Souter hates being on the court and was waiting for an opportunity to retire.

Ginzberg has been ill and also has been waiting for an opportunity to retire.

Stevens is 88 years old. It is unlikely he will be on the court for the full 2008 to 2012 presidential term.

And Breyer was appointed by Bill Clinton, I believe. He is 70 but I have heard nothing of him retiring.

Kennedy is 72, so it is likely he will retire within the next 4 years.

Scalia is 72, as well, but I'm figuring he isn't going to retire any time soon... bummer.

And you can forget Roe v Wade being overturned now. If you overturn Roe, you have to overturn all of the right to privacy cases, and that simply will not happen now.

And THAT is one of the things Obama was elected for. And one of the reasons the states can't ever be trusted to handle this issue is because they simply don't protect women's rights. That's what the fed is for, to make sure that the same people who tried to keep blacks from going to "white" universities" can't make it illegal for women to make their own decisions.

Forum List

Back