Obama pledges $ 100 million to relief effort..

bush gave 350 million

i don't remember how much private charity gave for that, but i think it topped a billion

Good question, I'm sure there will be a new "fee" on cruise ships to the Bahamas or some such thing this year.

Translation: "Fuck everyone else, I've got mine."

If we want to act like the top country in the world, then this is the type of situation where we show it.

Good question, I'm sure there will be a new "fee" on cruise ships to the Bahamas or some such thing this year.

If we want to act like the top country in the world, then this is the type of situation where we show it.

I have no problem with helping them. We should have had a Hospital ship en-route before they asked for it. I'm certain that the Red Cross and 100 or so other organizations will spend much more than our government will. But I'm also certain that our Government is flat assed broke.

I have no problem with helping them. We should have had a Hospital ship en-route before they asked for it. I'm certain that the Red Cross and 100 or so other organizations will spend much more than our government will. But I'm also certain that our Government is flat assed broke.

The term "every dollar counts" comes to mind. Our Government although in a large amount of debt like many other countries in the world is not broke. And if we are broke, I think the least of our problems would be giving $100 million to the Haiti Relief Effort.

The term "every dollar counts" comes to mind. Our Government although in a large amount of debt like many other countries in the world is not broke. And if we are broke, I think the least of our problems would be giving $100 million to the Haiti Relief Effort.

Yep we can just add that to the deficit, which set a new record for December BTW. I guess this will help set a new record for January. But we're not broke. OK whatever you want to believe.

We act like the "top country in the world" every time our private charities beat the hell out of gubmint institutions around the world --including our own-- in charitable giving.

We act like the "top country in the world" every time our private charities beat the hell out of gubmint institutions around the world --including our own-- in charitable giving.

But dont you see, only government contributions count.

Yep we can just add that to the deficit, which set a new record for December BTW. I guess this will help set a new record for January. But we're not broke. OK whatever you want to believe.

running in the red for how long and 12 trillion or so of debt?
Naah we are in great shape.

I'm proud of Obama and stand behind his announcement. I think the US has no choice but to act immediately and remain vigilant in our efforts to help the Haitian people. Regardless of our own problems at home, this nation has a long and special relationship with d'Haiti that cannot be denied. Our relationship has not always been the best, and neither us nor d'Haiti has been perfect in dealing with one another, but these are a people that have had a major impact on the United States since their own revolution.

Yes, our government has to take an active role in not only providing relief but helping d'Haiti re-build. I personally believe we need to send more troops, doctors, educators, construction workers, technicians, etc. I'm not for an interventionalist world policy, I do however realize how vital keeping d'Haiti from complete and total anarchy is to US interests. We need to get Haitians working, train them, and put their national destiny in their hands.

Ultimetly what we did in Europe after WWII in helping them rebuild is what it's going to take to rebuild Haiti and to get Haiti on it's feet. A MASSIVE effort. There's going to have to be a substantial US military presence in Haiti very soon, no doubt about it. Now some might choose to look at this as very costly, BUT I'd advise you to look at an opportunity for both nations to strengthen each other. Who knows what investing in rebuilding Haiti and creating a new and innovative, productive Haitian workforce could mean for the western hemisphere as a whole. The ends of massive intervention here are going to justify the means.

Forum List

Back