Court Orders NY Attorney General to Withdraw Letter Saying $464 Million Trump Bond Not ‘Impossible’

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Hopefully, wiser heads will see this entire case for what it is, a political with hunt.

Aided by an AG who campaigned on getting Trump and a joke in black robes named Engoron (rhymes with moron).

Shortly after New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a letter asking the New York Supreme Court to “not consider“ that the $464 million bond former President Donald Trump needs to post to keep his assets from being seized is a ”practical impossibility,” the court ordered her to remove it.
The letter was attached to a request to file a surreply—a reply to a reply—which generally isn’t done unless the court grants express permission.

In a March 21 letter, the defense argued that, predictably, the letter received widespread media coverage even though it was “improperly filed” and taken down the same day, refiled with only the request and no letter.

“The Court may draw its own conclusions about the propriety of this maneuver. In doing so, the Court is ‘not required to exhibit a naiveté from which ordinary citizens are free,’” the defense wrote, urging the court to deny the attorney general’s request.

In the original letter, Ms. James had asked the court not to accept the testimonies of a Trump attorney and broker who detailed the efforts they'd gone through in trying to obtain a $464 million bond, claiming they were unreliable sources. The defense faulted the state for not providing any “reason to doubt any of their assertions,” however, and only making a blanket statement.

“While attempting to cynically and wrongfully tar the Defendants’ witnesses as ‘unreliable,’ the Attorney General does not actually dispute the truth of a single one of their specific claims,” the defense’s letter reads.

The sworn affidavits submitted revealed that the defense had sought out the large bond since before final judgment was entered—raising the fine from $250 million to more than $350 million during the last days of trial—and that negotiations by four brokers with 30-plus surety companies still resulted in no deal. One of the brokers provided additional context, saying a $100 million bond was considered large and a $464 million bond (which includes the ordered interest) is something few sureties have the ability to issue and would issue only for large publicly traded companies.

Notably, these discussions over whether he will pay or not, or whether he has the money or not......have kinda sorta become moot, with Don Trump's admission today that, in fact, he does have the cash to make the surety bond in this matter.

He posted this today, as reported by The Hill and other outlets:

"Former President Trump claimed Friday he has nearly $500 million in cash, conflicting with messaging from his attorneys who claim he won’t be able to post the $454 million bond for his civil fraud case.

“THROUGH HARD WORK, TALENT, AND LUCK, I CURRENTLY HAVE ALMOST FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS IN CASH, A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF WHICH I INTENDED TO USE IN MY CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENT,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform."

Notably, these discussions over whether he will pay or not, or whether he has the money or not......have kinda sorta become moot, with Don Trump's admission today that, in fact, he does have the cash to make the surety bond in this matter.

"Former President Trump claimed Friday he has nearly $500 million in cash, conflicting with messaging from his attorneys who claim he won’t be able to post the $454 million bond for his civil fraud case.

“THROUGH HARD WORK, TALENT, AND LUCK, I CURRENTLY HAVE ALMOST FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS IN CASH, A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF WHICH I INTENDED TO USE IN MY CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENT,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform."
So tell James to take him to court for misrepresenting the value. SMFH, moron.

So tell James to take him to court for misrepresenting the value.
???
Why or how would I be in a position to tell the New York State's Attorney to do anything?

But more to the point of the thread vis-a-vis Don Trump's obligation to come up with a large surety bond in order to file an appeal of the Court's ruling....as is consistent with others who wish to appeal a court ruling....well, his attorney's said it is impossible for him to come up with the bond.

And now today, he contradicts his lawyers and asserts he has virtually all of the necessary cash.

Yeah, me too.
I can't explain how or why he would reverse his own lawyers who just claimed such this week.

Obvious questions: Did he have the cash all along? and was just doing a head-fake to the court?
Or did he get funding from some other yet to be disclosed source?

Personally, I thought his announcement that he has $500,000,000 after all, was perplexing.

But then, it should be. After all, I've never ever thought of myself as possessing $10 billion as Don claimed, nor, even a lousy $500,000,000.

So, any thoughtful rational explanation of why announce this $500,000,000 now?

Last edited:
Obvious questions: Did he have the cash all along? and was just doing a head-fake to the court?
Obvious answers: Its none of your business how much money he has nor whether he had it all along for that matter. It is also none of your business where he gets his money.
Another obvious question, what makes you think you have any standing to be commenting on an American court case. Maybe you ought to keep your nose on your face.

This is crazy. The judge and prosecutor obviously want to make it impossible for Trump to appeal this judgement that won't last ten minutes in an appelate court.

The USSC will over-rule this requirement. The judge might as well say "you're not allowed to appeal, unless you can stick your elbow three inches into your ear."

“The Court may draw its own conclusions about the propriety of this maneuver. In doing so, the Court is ‘not required to exhibit a naiveté from which ordinary citizens are free,’” the defense wrote, urging the court to deny the attorney general’s request.
I love it.

There just might be some adults in the room at the First Department.

???
Why or how would I be in a position to tell the New York State's Attorney to do anything?

But more to the point of the thread vis-a-vis Don Trump's obligation to come up with a large surety bond in order to file an appeal of the Court's ruling....as is consistent with others who wish to appeal a court ruling....well, his attorney's said it is impossible for him to come up with the bond.

And now today, he contradicts his lawyers and asserts he has virtually all of the necessary cash.

Yeah, me too.
I can't explain how or why he would reverse his own lawyers who just claimed such this week.

Personally, I thought his announcement that he has $500,000,000 after all, was perplexing.

But then, it should be. After all, I've never ever thought of myself as possessing $10 billion as Don claimed, nor, even a lousy $500,000,000.

So, any thoughtful rational explanation of why announce this $500,000,000 now?
He's a dope.

"I hope they do sieze his assets, and very publicly."
Why?
What would be the end-game with that tactic?
Would the State of New York be better served to just quietly order the banks holding this reported "$500,000,000" in cash?
It seems to be the most time efficient, cost effective method for protecting the People's interest here would be to move expeditiously move on Monday morning to attach all that cash....or enough to meet the law's requirement.

-------------------------------------------------------------
The only reason NY hasnt seized his assets, is because its Trump. If it were any other person, NYS would have taken all his stuff by now and auctioned it off.
Ummm, good poster NTGuy, your statement suggests that Don Trump is above the law. That he is being favorably treated compared to other New York citizens.

----------------------------------------------------------
i'm sure they are preparing to challenge through the legal steps on all fronts .
Oh, I quite agree.

"This is crazy. The judge and prosecutor obviously want to make it impossible for Trump to appeal this judgement ....."
From what I have read in various reportages the state of New York is following the enacted laws......that those who appeal a judgment must post the amount of the judgement or, if not the cash, then a surety-bond underwritten by a credible bondsman or financial firm in that business.

The law is the law and the State has the necessary.....and expected.....responsibility of enforcing the laws that its' legislative body has crafted and enacted.

That's sort of a Political Science 101 perspective.

Hopefully, wiser heads will see this entire case for what it is, a political with hunt.

Aided by an AG who campaigned on getting Trump and a joke in black robes named Engoron (rhymes with moron).

Shortly after New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a letter asking the New York Supreme Court to “not consider“ that the $464 million bond former President Donald Trump needs to post to keep his assets from being seized is a ”practical impossibility,” the court ordered her to remove it.
The letter was attached to a request to file a surreply—a reply to a reply—which generally isn’t done unless the court grants express permission.
In a March 21 letter, the defense argued that, predictably, the letter received widespread media coverage even though it was “improperly filed” and taken down the same day, refiled with only the request and no letter.
In the original letter, Ms. James had asked the court not to accept the testimonies of a Trump attorney and broker who detailed the efforts they'd gone through in trying to obtain a $464 million bond, claiming they were unreliable sources. The defense faulted the state for not providing any “reason to doubt any of their assertions,” however, and only making a blanket statement.
“While attempting to cynically and wrongfully tar the Defendants’ witnesses as ‘unreliable,’ the Attorney General does not actually dispute the truth of a single one of their specific claims,” the defense’s letter reads.
The sworn affidavits submitted revealed that the defense had sought out the large bond since before final judgment was entered—raising the fine from $250 million to more than $350 million during the last days of trial—and that negotiations by four brokers with 30-plus surety companies still resulted in no deal. One of the brokers provided additional context, saying a $100 million bond was considered large and a $464 million bond (which includes the ordered interest) is something few sureties have the ability to issue and would issue only for large publicly traded companies.

Well this mirrors the whole case. No evidence, no harm just false claims and a corrupt system.

From what I have read in various reportages the state of New York is following the enacted laws......that those who appeal a judgment must post the amount of the judgement or, if not the cash, then a surety-bond underwritten by a credible bondsman or financial firm in that business.

The law is the law and the State has the necessary.....and expected.....responsibility of enforcing the laws that its' legislative body has crafted and enacted.

That's sort of a Political Science 101 perspective.
Yes, that is the law, but the law did not anticipate such an absurdly huge judgement, obviously calculted based on nothing but the court's desire to make it impossible to post the bond required for appeal.

The appelate courts will not allow this, even if it has to go to the USSC, so good luck if you're hoping to see that idiot prosecutor sieze Trump's properties.

A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF WHICH I INTENDED TO USE IN MY CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENT,”
Thats the fear that drives these politically inspired lawsuits against trump

The Banana Republic will stop at nothing to keep him out of the white house

Yes, that is the law, but the law did not anticipate such an absurdly huge judgement, obviously calculted based on nothing but the court's desire to make it impossible to post the bond required for appeal.

The appelate courts will not allow this, even if it has to go to the USSC, so good luck if you're hoping to see that idiot prosecutor sieze Trump's properties.
Also violates the 8th amendment of the constitution.

Forum List

Back