Obama plans to expand overtime eligibility for millions of workers

Salary agreements usually come with higher pay and more benefits than hourly workers get.

Why not let people make up their own mind about taking a salaried position or staying in an hourly position?

All this new regulation will do is deny people the extra pay and benefits of salaried positions.

Fine...pay them over $50,000 and you can treat them how you like

Below that....pay them for their hours worked

Yup and now all those people who were salary at 45K will lose the extra pay and benefits of their salaried position, get a pay cut be denied overtime and will make less

Just what you people want
I don't think it's even legal to cut someone's pay.
If they wanna cut my hours and still pay me the same....sure

Of course you can cut someone's pay. And if you are paid hourly and they cut your hours you will be paid less

All you have to do is give them notice that you are doing so.

If I eliminate a salaried position because I will have to pay 4-8 hours of overtime every week I can tell an employee that the salaried position is being eliminated and that he will be getting his old rate and be limited to 40 hours a week.
That is certainly your right, and you will lose even more profit because you cut volume.

Not necessarily.

And you have to learn what a hypothetical is

And some of us know that quality is often better than volume.

In my business I can't treat people like products on an assembly line

Salary agreements usually come with higher pay and more benefits than hourly workers get.

Why not let people make up their own mind about taking a salaried position or staying in an hourly position?

All this new regulation will do is deny people the extra pay and benefits of salaried positions.

Yup and now all those people who were salary at 45K will lose the extra pay and benefits of their salaried position, get a pay cut be denied overtime and will make less

Of course you can cut someone's pay. And if you are paid hourly and they cut your hours you will be paid less

If I eliminate a salaried position because I will have to pay 4-8 hours of overtime every week I can tell an employee that the salaried position is being eliminated and that he will be getting his old rate and be limited to 40 hours a week.
But nothing is stopping you from doing that right now, is it?

If you want to slash someone's wages, you can do it whether they qualify for OT or not

Funny how you use the word slash when you don't even know the pay rates.

Oh but then again you think a smaller than planned increase is a cut so .

SP is the only one talking about people as product not people.

Volume and quality can and should go hand and hand; if you can't do that, SP, get someone who can.

No real Republican is libertarian. The libertarian way is the path to losertarian.

Volume and quality can and should go hand and hand; if you can't do that, SP, get someone who can.

No real Republican is libertarian. The libertarian way is the path to losertarian.

Tell me do you want a high volume fast paced dr visit?

Or do you want a higher quality visit that may cost a bit more but has both actual and perceived added value?

And can the Dr doing less volume but offering a higher quality experience be just as or even more successful than the high volume production line Dr?

Of course he can

It's not always volume

If you want to slash someone's wages, you can do it whether they qualify for OT or not

You obviously realize that if new overtime regulations were to take effect that you could slash your workers pay and there is probably nothing they can do about it in the current job market

So, why don't you just cut what you pay your employees now?

They obviously have little recourse. If they don't like it...leave

You obviously realize that if new overtime regulations were to take effect that you could slash your workers pay and there is probably nothing they can do about it in the current job market

The "official unemployment " rate is 5.5% , so are you telling us now The government is fibbing?

And you're neither.. :badgrin:...... but one of the boards biggest liberals. Right up there with Slow Joe.

-Geaux

Geaux is a mere far right social con with no real connection to the mainstream of the GOP, in which I squarely sit. We reject libertarianism; we reject those who try to infect our body politic with that losertarian philosophy. Today is a good day for the GOP because the libertarians have less influence every day.

Or do you want a higher quality visit that may cost a bit more but has both actual and perceived added value?

And can the Dr doing less volume but offering a higher quality experience be just as or even more successful than the high volume production line Dr?

Of course he can

It's not always volume
We were not talking about a Doctor's office, were we?

That is a very ineffective deflection. :)

Geaux is a mere far right social con with no real connection to the mainstream of the GOP, in which I squarely sit. We reject libertarianism; we reject those who try to infect our body politic with that losertarian philosophy. Today is a good day for the GOP because the libertarians have less influence every day.

greed.jpg

People need to make a living too. Especially if they work for it.

I am talking about a salaried position NOT all hourly positions since the overtime laws for hourly positions have not changed.

I do not authorize any of my hourly employees to work any overtime.

I don't know how many times I have to say it but here we go again.

The reasoning behind a salaried position is that a person given more responsibility than an hourly employee gets a higher salary than he would if he remained hourly with the agreement that he may have to work more than 40 hours. Salaried positions often have better benefits as well (at least mine do such as a better 401 package and 50% paid disability insurance)

I expect my salaried asst mgr to put in anywhere from 42 to 48 hours in a given week.

If you add it all up the benefits that go along with the salaried position outweigh the loss of overtime pay

Now I can't do both the extra benefits AND the overtime so the fucking government is making the choice not the employee.

And you see nothing wrong with that.

Of course he can

It's not always volume
We were not talking about a Doctor's office, were we?

That is a very ineffective deflection. :)

And we're not talking just factory production jobs are we?

ANY service based industry has to put the quality of the customer experience over mere volume

I am talking about a salaried position NOT all hourly positions since the overtime laws for hourly positions have not changed.

The reasoning behind a salaried position is that a person given more responsibility than an hourly employee gets a higher salary than he would if he remained hourly with the agreement that he may have to work more than 40 hours. Salaried positions often have better benefits as well (at least mine do such as a better 401 package and 50% paid disability insurance)

I expect my salaried asst mgr to put in anywhere from 42 to 48 hours in a given week.

If you add it all up the benefits that go along with the salaried position outweigh the loss of overtime pay

Now I can't do both the extra benefits AND the overtime so the fucking government is making the choice not the employee.

I agree

That was the intent of making management employees exempt from the FLSA. It was assumed that they are being compensated in other ways

What has happened is employers other than you have abused FLSA regulations to categorize more employees (above $22k) as managers without providing all the perks and alternative compensation

I agree

That was the intent of making management employees exempt from the FLSA. It was assumed that they are being compensated in other ways

What has happened is employers other than you have abused FLSA regulations to categorize more employees (above $22k) as managers without providing all the perks and alternative compensation

So once again people are punished for the sins of another.

The new AmeriKa

I agree

So once again people are punished for the sins of another.

The new AmeriKa

People actually being compensated for the hours they work is not punishment

Then, as long as you employ less than 50 people, none of this should apply to you.
Because, as I understand it, the salary threshold for OT is suggested to be 50 or 55.
Bigger companies, with more than 50 employees, are abusing their salary managers.
They keep the hourly employees under 28 to avoid ACA and pile the extra burden on their management

Forum List

Back