Obama on fiscal cliff: Congress, 'I WARNED YOU'

No - amend my statement to leave out IRA's and 401K's. But tax capital gains, dividends above an agreed upon amount, trust funds above an agreed upon amount and other exempted sources. If Social Security, like the general fund, is full of so many loopholes and exemptions, it is time to remove most of them and fund SS more completely.

Regards from Rosie

So you want to abolish the equal protection clause form the 14th amendment and treat people and property differently because of where a dollar might fall in an imaginary
stack? Yep, that sound fair.

That's exactly what Congress did, unconstitutionally, by arbitrarily exempting income above 2.5K from FICA.

You can't see that your door already swung the other way and got stuck there?

Regards from Rosie

Yep and they did the same with progressive tax rates, so maybe we should get a flat tax rate for everyone that is charged from dollar one and then you could let FICA apply to ALL income as well. You can't claim one is fair and not the other.

Last edited:
Social Security doesn't add to the deficit - it is a different fund from others.

Social Security is taking in less than it's paying out, therefore, it adds to our long term debt. Simple arithmetic.

Do not exempt income above $ 250,000 from FICA and make it regardless of source of income.

What difference will that make?

If Republicants refuse....means test it. Those who are wealthy and don't need it don't get it.

How about I pay for me and you pay for you. Whoa, there's a novel idea, eh comrade?

If you don't need it why exempt you from the taxes that fund it? Makes no sense. Childless people still pay taxes for schools they don't need.

Regards from Rosie

Do you know the difference between the federal government and the local government?

Regards from someone who was smarter than you are now when he was only in the second grade.

I would like to see the SS revenue in for the last five years, and they checks sent out.

That the revenue is minus to the pay out, I doubt very much.

If Congress would stop dropping the SS revenues into the general fund, the SS pay out would last forever.

This day was foreordained the moment the Tea Party took control of Boehner's caucus and McConnell lost his mind.

Yes, we GOP will compromise this time, and, yes, the taxes of many, including me, are going up.

Obstructionist Republicanism brought this on all of us.

Oh blow it out your ass, Jake.

We have a divided government. That means two parties control it. That means compromise. It doesn't mean one gets to roll over on the other and get what ever they want. They're both obstructing each other.

If the Democrats wants tax increases from Republicans (which they don't need anyway) then it is more than fair to expect them to contribute to meaningful entitlement reform.

All this garbage coming out of the White House is nothing but propaganda to suck in people like you and morons like the OP. I guarantee you with or without these tax increases next year's budget will be larger than this year's. You're all a bunch of damn fools.

Social Security doesn't add to the deficit - it is a different fund from others.

Social Security is taking in less than it's paying out, therefore, it adds to our long term debt. Simple arithmetic.

Do not exempt income above $ 250,000 from FICA and make it regardless of source of income.

What difference will that make?

If Republicants refuse....means test it. Those who are wealthy and don't need it don't get it.

How about I pay for me and you pay for you. Whoa, there's a novel idea, eh comrade?

If you don't need it why exempt you from the taxes that fund it? Makes no sense. Childless people still pay taxes for schools they don't need.

Regards from Rosie

Do you know the difference between the federal government and the local government?

Regards from someone who was smarter than you are now when he was only in the second grade.

What does federal vs. local have to do with it?

Exempting some income from FICA means I-N-S-O-L-V-E-N-T-C-Y sooner. Big word for your 7 year-old's brain, I know.

Huge ears ya got there, DUMBO.

Regards from Rosie

I would like to see the SS revenue in for the last five years, and they checks sent out.

Well as usual you haven't got the slightest fucking clue what you're talking about.

FactCheck.org : Democrats Deny Social Security’s Red Ink

If Congress would stop dropping the SS revenues into the general fund, the SS pay out would last forever.

Yeah, well they've been doing that for at least the last 30 years so good luck with that. In fact that is how Clinton and Gingrich "balanced" the budget.

Yeah...could not hurt. SS having a ton of IOU's in there hurts everyone.

Do people really believe SS will be safer if retirement money is privatised and goes to Wall Street? Look at how 401K's were hit when Wall St. helped cause the Great Recession.

There are none so blind......

Regards from Rosie

What does federal vs. local have to do with it?

Gee, I don't know. Two different governments, two different sets of rules, two different factors. Idiot

Exempting some income from FICA means I-N-S-O-L-V-E-N-T-C-Y sooner.

Do elaborate. We're waiting with bated breath.

Big word for your 7 year-old's brain, I know.

When you're going to call someone else stupid, you might want to know how to spell INSOLVENCY, dipshit.

Thank you to Taz for supporting my point: the revenues coming in out exceed the pay out but that Congress keeps dropping it into the general fund. All we have to do is put the money where it is supposed to go, raise retirement by two years for those under 45, and increase income maximum to $150,000.

Privatization will only return our seniors to poverty.

Do people really believe SS will be safer if retirement money is privatised and goes to Wall Street?

Gee, I don't know, it only works in other countries that have tried it, along with Galveston County Texas, with an average return of 11% versus 1.5% in Social Security. My God, you're right. Who would want all that extra money? What a bunch of morons.

Look at how 401K's were hit when Wall St. helped cause the Great Recession.

And look how they bounced back with even more money within a little over a year. My 401k dropped 37% in 2009, then shot through the roof in 2010 because of all the funds that were being bought up at once in a lifetime prices.

Do you realize you're wetting your pants over an event that maybe takes place once in a generation. The market will always fluctuate, but over the long term it has always increased. What's going to happen when the government can't afford to pay you your Social Security anymore because it's $20 trillion in debt?

There are none so blind......

Yeah, no shit. The sad part is you actually believe what you're saying.

Regards from someone who went into the real world.

Thank you to Taz for supporting my point: the revenues coming in out exceed the pay out but that Congress keeps dropping it into the general fund. All we have to do is put the money where it is supposed to go, raise retirement by two years for those under 45, and increase income maximum to $150,000.

What good will increasing the income maximum do? You're still drawing the same percentage of your income when you retire whether you paid in at $107k or $150k.

Proof?

"My way or the highway" isnt going to go over too well. Compromise requires both parties to give something. What is Obama prepared to give on?

Kind of like when republicans spit on a much better deal than they are likely to get now back in 2011 just to protect their tax cut program? They just do not have any legs to stand on in this situation, they precipitated it with their debt ceiling hostage stunt, they refused to make a compromise deal, they passed the deal that kicked the can down the road to this moment where they seriously thought they would own both houses and the presidency, they are responsible for 100% of this mess because they have always been 100% my way or the highway throughout. Now that democrats hold some of the cards all you people can do is whine that they are not playing fair, well fair in this case is being taught a hard lesson in shoes being on the other feet.

You act like something has majically changed, it hasn't.

Maybe not, Republicans are still dangerously stupid in their political tactics, but the fact remains that they walked away from what would have been a good thing for them in 2011 if it was the deficit they were actually worried about rather than what was simply a one sided attack on entitlement spending. Perhaps when this deal is hammered out we can do a side-by-side comparison between what they turned down and what they got after all their insane hostage taking and losing bet on who will win the election.

Kind of like when republicans spit on a much better deal than they are likely to get now back in 2011 just to protect their tax cut program? They just do not have any legs to stand on in this situation, they precipitated it with their debt ceiling hostage stunt, they refused to make a compromise deal, they passed the deal that kicked the can down the road to this moment where they seriously thought they would own both houses and the presidency, they are responsible for 100% of this mess because they have always been 100% my way or the highway throughout. Now that democrats hold some of the cards all you people can do is whine that they are not playing fair, well fair in this case is being taught a hard lesson in shoes being on the other feet.

Maybe not, Republicans are still dangerously stupid in their political tactics, but the fact remains that they walked away from what would have been a good thing for them in 2011 if it was the deficit they were actually worried about rather than what was simply a one sided attack on entitlement spending. Perhaps when this deal is hammered out we can do a side-by-side comparison between what they turned down and what they got after all their insane hostage taking and losing bet on who will win the election.

You might want to do a little research, entitlements are the largest and fastest growing segment of government spending, 60+%, so if that growth is not addressed the rest really doesn't matter. The day is fast approaching where entitlements and debt service will consume 100% of what the government takes in today, then what?

ARE YOU KIDDING??? That is far to much of a common sense approach that it will never fly.

You might want to do a little research, entitlements are the largest and fastest growing segment of government spending, 60+%, so if that growth is not addressed the rest really doesn't matter. The day is fast approaching where entitlements and debt service will consume 100% of what the government takes in today, then what?

You're not gonna like my answer- straight up.

We are experiencing the Baby Boomer bulge right now. There are fewer and fewer workers putting in than old pharts taking out.

But this won't last.

I do suggest in 2020 and beyond increasing legal immigration to have more workers per retiree.

Told ya ya wouldn't like it. :cool:

Regards from Rosie

Give em hell President Obama! The American people are 100% behind you.

GOP divide over Obama tax plan goes public - CNN.com

We are not 100% behind him, you ignorant hack. What is your Ossiah ready to copromise on?

stop lying..100% are not behind him...we'd have to push you Obamabost off his butt in order to GET behind though

my gawd

as usual, the thug comes out in Obama, so Presidential

I said 100% of the AMERICAN people!

stop lying..100% are not behind him...

my gawd

as usual, the thug comes out in Obama, so Presidential

OKTexas. Let me ask you this. What is it that you think will happen when all the entitlements are cut? Pick a number that you think reasonable to cut. 500 billion. 1 trillion. whatever number you like.

Then explain how taking x billions of dollars out of the economy is going to work out for the good. IF you would.

Will borrowing rates fall? Will UE rise? What will the people that lose their jobs and have access to less government help do? Does it even matter?

But you must think there is an upside. What is it?

OKTexas. Let me ask you this. What is it that you think will happen when all the entitlements are cut? Pick a number that you think reasonable to cut. 500 billion. 1 trillion. whatever number you like.

Then explain how taking x billions of dollars out of the economy is going to work out for the good. IF you would.

Will borrowing rates fall? Will UE rise? What will the people that lose their jobs and have access to less government help do? Does it even matter?

But you must think there is an upside. What is it?

When they dont have a choice, maybe they will start working..

Forum List

Back