Obama on fiscal cliff: Congress, 'I WARNED YOU'

All legislation is considered constitutional until the federal judiciary says "no".

You have no say about this, OKT. No one cares what you think.

You seem to think I give a shit who gets credit for what or which party is in control. I'm one of those nasty Constitutionalist, there are no wins if the country loses. Period end of story. Maobama is holding out for a tax increase that will run the government for less than 9 days, this type of ideology does nothing for fixing anything. Politicians look at the next election, you seem to have the same mentality, screw the next election, let's work to fix the long term problems so future generations can live in a country that is still the envy of the rest of the world.

You such a "Constitutionalist" then you should know that taxes are constitutional. As are paying down accrued debts.

This country's main source of revenue is taxation.

And the Bush tax cuts were never meant to be permanent.

Yep, taxes are constitutional, show me where a progressive system is constitutional, please use direct quotes form the documant itself otherwise we have to get into how screwed the courts are. As for the current rates signed last by your dear leader, let them expire if they were never meant to be permanent, hell if the Clinton rates were so great, let's go, I'm all for it. Nothing Maobama is proposing now will pay down our debts he's not even willing to talk about cuts till next year. How about we start looking long term and not just the next political fight.

That all may be but you missed my point, republicans bet all their sacred cows on winning the election and gaining control of the senate and lost. They failed you and all the rest by overplaying their hand and betting they could do this without any compromise, looks like they had better learn quick how to deal in good faith because now democrats are in a position to hold everything the republicans care about hostage and go over the "fiscal cliff".

Think for a moment about the situation, go over the cliff and republicans bear all the blame for any fallout if they refuse again to take the final offer and certainly lose the house in 2014 and this administration gets to take credit for standing firm, spreading the pain and actually reducing the deficit more than any republican is willing to do. Republicans supplied the Democrats with so many win-wins in this scenario that they have every right to be cocky.

You seem to think I give a shit who gets credit for what or which party is in control. I'm one of those nasty Constitutionalist, there are no wins if the country loses. Period end of story. Maobama is holding out for a tax increase that will run the government for less than 9 days, this type of ideology does nothing for fixing anything. Politicians look at the next election, you seem to have the same mentality, screw the next election, let's work to fix the long term problems so future generations can live in a country that is still the envy of the rest of the world.

Still not getting it, Republicans blew the deepest entitlement cuts they had ever been offered because they valued the tax cuts more, now they will not get the cuts they wanted and the tax cuts will expire for the wealthy. Next time you work yourself up into a no compromise lather think about this situation, that kind of adamant refusal to deal in good faith bears some bitter fruit, eat it and enjoy it. You want to work to fix long term problems? Doing that requires a willingness to deal in good faith and republicans have just not learned that skill yet.

I can smell the BS from here, the republicans came out and offered additonal revenue, the first thing the dems said is entitlements are off the table, now your dear leader is demanding his tax increase and wants to put cuts off till next year. Dems have never really offered entitlement reform in good faith and they don't plan to do it now.

All legislation is considered constitutional until the federal judiciary says "no".

You such a "Constitutionalist" then you should know that taxes are constitutional. As are paying down accrued debts.

Yep, taxes are constitutional, show me where a progressive system is constitutional, please use direct quotes form the documant itself otherwise we have to get into how screwed the courts are. As for the current rates signed last by your dear leader, let them expire if they were never meant to be permanent, hell if the Clinton rates were so great, let's go, I'm all for it. Nothing Maobama is proposing now will pay down our debts he's not even willing to talk about cuts till next year. How about we start looking long term and not just the next political fight.

Yet you take time to make an ass of yourself, good job.:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

That would mean you'd actually have to read it.

Congress makes the rules on taxes..that's part of they do.

The Constitution is a template and it by no means was meant to get into the nitty gritty of day to day legislation. That's why it's lasted so long.

First thing that needs to done is make welfare and medicade harder to get, many people figuer why work when it's easier to ride the public dole. Franklin said you should never make people comfortable in poverty because you remove insentive to leave it. Yep that might sound mean, but lifes a bitch and then you die. Providing almost 2 years of unemployment just keeps people form taking jobs that are available, holding out for something better. No one says it's easy, you make people dependent for so long it takes time to gradually reduce the aid and force self sufficiency, but you have to start some where. What we have now will break us.

Anyone who thinks poverty is 'comfortable' has never been there or even close to there.

Been there, it sucked, didn't get food stamps or anything but it put me in contact with lots of other down and out people, didn't see a lot of comfort unless grinding desperation is comfortable somehow.

Did you go without air conditioning, heat, TV, phones, cars, clothes, shoes, our "poor" have a better standard of living than middle class in many countries and better than some considered wealthy in others. Our poor don't generally live in mud huts with dirt floors and a fire in the corner to cook on. Most in our country have never been exposed to true poverty and I'm glad that is the case, we need a safety net. We just don't need to provide as much as we do. Simple concept, cut back.

I am willing to be so if one as young as you need first principles explained to him.

All legislation is legal until the courts say otherwise. No one has legal, philosophical, or moral obligation to explain to you the obvious other than to instruct you as to what is the answer.

Yet you take time to make an ass of yourself, good job.:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Anyone who thinks poverty is 'comfortable' has never been there or even close to there.

Been there, it sucked, didn't get food stamps or anything but it put me in contact with lots of other down and out people, didn't see a lot of comfort unless grinding desperation is comfortable somehow.

Did you go without air conditioning, heat, TV, phones, cars, clothes, shoes, our "poor" have a better standard of living than middle class in many countries and better than some considered wealthy in others. Our poor don't generally live in mud huts with dirt floors and a fire in the corner to cook on. Most in our country have never been exposed to true poverty and I'm glad that is the case, we need a safety net. We just don't need to provide as much as we do. Simple concept, cut back.

Do you know what it is like to every time you get in your car you say a prayer that it starts, every mile you drive you listen to that little noise under the hood knowing you don't have the money for repairs, knowing that if you miss a day of work you will probably be replaced without a so much as a 'thanks for stopping by'? Do you walk through the supermarket knowing that you don't really have enough money for the food your family needs but wanting give your children something decent for supper each night even if they will still not be full at the end of the meal, ever, except maybe special occasions? And that is people who are two steps up from the bottom.

Last edited:

Still not getting it, Republicans blew the deepest entitlement cuts they had ever been offered because they valued the tax cuts more, now they will not get the cuts they wanted and the tax cuts will expire for the wealthy. Next time you work yourself up into a no compromise lather think about this situation, that kind of adamant refusal to deal in good faith bears some bitter fruit, eat it and enjoy it. You want to work to fix long term problems? Doing that requires a willingness to deal in good faith and republicans have just not learned that skill yet.

I can smell the BS from here, the republicans came out and offered additonal revenue, the first thing the dems said is entitlements are off the table, now your dear leader is demanding his tax increase and wants to put cuts off till next year. Dems have never really offered entitlement reform in good faith and they don't plan to do it now.

Read this lengthy and insightful account of what happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/m...-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all

It seems the deal fell apart mostly because Boehner lost control of the republican caucus, there were some pretty good stuff for both parties on the table but in the end Boehner just could not guarantee he had the votes for any deal he would reach with the president.

Give em hell President Obama! The American people are 100% behind you.

GOP divide over Obama tax plan goes public - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- An angry warning by President Barack Obama delivered well over a year ago foreshadowed his campaign-style approach on Wednesday aimed at pressuring Republicans to compromise and reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff.

was this or before he blew the deal up with Boehner last year:eusa_eh:

Boehner's own republican caucus blew up the deal that included frankly amazing cuts to medicare/aid, seems he could not get the votes for any deal that included any kind of tax hike.

The Constitution is a template and it by no means was meant to get into the nitty gritty of day to day legislation. That's why it's lasted so long.

Thanks for saving me a butt load of time, anyone that thinks the Constitution is just a template lacks the base knowledge required to discuss it.

I am willing to be so if one as young as you need first principles explained to him.

All legislation is legal until the courts say otherwise. No one has legal, philosophical, or moral obligation to explain to you the obvious other than to instruct you as to what is the answer.

When you can tell me the courts have never reversed themselves and are always 100% corrrect I will yeid to your attempted point. The courts are operating on many powers they granted to themselves not by the Constitution and the politicians don't have the balls to call them on them. Can I prove what I'm saying by citing cases and the Constitution, yes I can.

Do you know what it is like to every time you get in your car you say a prayer that it starts, every mile you drive you listen to that little noise under the hood knowing you don't have the money for repairs, knowing that if you miss a day of work you will probably be replaced without a so much as a 'thanks for stopping by'? Do you walk through the supermarket knowing that you don't really have enough money for the food your family needs but wanting give your children something decent for supper each night even if they will still not be full at the end of the meal, ever, except maybe special occasions? And that is people who are two steps up from the bottom.

I ended up living on the street and on a steadily shrinking number of friends floors and sofas doing day labor because of a busted head gasket on the beater that got me back and forth to work. Happened right at the end of the month, lost my job, lost my place a couple of weeks later, spent 6 months essentially homeless and eventually had to go home to the parents. That was in the eighties, don't suppose the slope into poverty is any less slippery these days.

Thanks for saving me a butt load of time, anyone that thinks the Constitution is just a template lacks the base knowledge required to discuss it.
:lol:

It is!

Oh man..

Seriously..what do you construe it to be?

Give em hell President Obama! The American people are 100% behind you.

GOP divide over Obama tax plan goes public - CNN.com

was this or before he blew the deal up with Boehner last year:eusa_eh:

Boehner's own republican caucus blew up the deal that included frankly amazing cuts to medicare/aid, seems he could not get the votes for any deal that included any kind of tax hike.

They were hardly "amazing" cuts, unless you mean "amazing" in the sense of they will never happen.
Obama offered to cut spending about 10 years down the road.
This is what Democrats do: they offer cuts sometime in the future in exchance for taxes right now. It's a fool's bargain.

Yep, been there, my first car I purchased for $75.00, I bought it in 1966, it was a 1941 model, never had a new car till 1984. I lived many years on mac and cheese you could buy 10 for a dollar and hot dogs. I've had hard times, but I've never received public assistance at any time, I worked my way through them. As for childern, I can't say, I decided in the late 60's not to bring any into the world, beleive it or not I say the decline of the country coming and didn't think it would be fair to a kid to subject them to it. I retires a couple of years ago but till then I was never without a job more than two weeks unless I wanted to be, because I would do what ever was available. Trust me I've done jobs that would make many throw up on the spot, but it paid the bills till I found something better.

Also while I was in the military I've seen real poverty first hand, like I said I don't want to see that in this country, but people demanding things that aren't necessary to survive make me sick.

Forum List

Back