Obama dog: This is NOT change

I remember the good old days when you could go to the local shelter and get dogs and cats for free. Now you have to pay for spay/nueter and of course shots. Then you have to pay for a license.
Why do I have to pay all that shit for? I'm just gonna eat the animal. They are getting almost as expensive as pork chops.

Almost ... there was a 16 year old cat which they wanted to charge $50 from the shelter.

I'm sorry, but when you are getting a family pet, you do not hire a Senator of the United States of America to go to a prominent Texas kennel to get yourself a dog. You go to your local shelter and rescue a dog. I don't care if it's a puppy or a full grown dog, you rescue the dog. This dog was "bred" at the kennel and then given back?

umm....bubbalah...I'm guessing they were rightfully told that you can't get a mutt when your kid has allergies b/c you don't know what's in a shelter dog or what allergens it carries. I know because our preference would be a shelter dog, too, and we can't b/c hubby has asthma and son has allergies.

mostly...um... do we really care?

obama has a son......do tell...

I'm sorry, but when you are getting a family pet, you do not hire a Senator of the United States of America to go to a prominent Texas kennel to get yourself a dog. You go to your local shelter and rescue a dog. I don't care if it's a puppy or a full grown dog, you rescue the dog. This dog was "bred" at the kennel and then given back?

umm....bubbalah...I'm guessing they were rightfully told that you can't get a mutt when your kid has allergies b/c you don't know what's in a shelter dog or what allergens it carries. I know because our preference would be a shelter dog, too, and we can't b/c hubby has asthma and son has allergies.

mostly...um... do we really care?

obama has a son......do tell...

read the sentence again. ;)

I know because our preference would be a shelter dog, too, and we can't b/c hubby has asthma and son has allergies

"our" meaning my husband and me.

Contrary to all those going nutso over where either Biden or Obama get their pets, I'd much rather the country watch where their money is being spent and that it seems the world is reverting to times thought gone over 200 years ago.

Folks, if you want a certain dog, there are breeders that can get them for you-they make their living that way. If you don't want to spend those big $$$, but want a nice pet for your children, yourselves, your older parents, you can find a great pet at a shelter.

David S is a freak. Not only is he going nuts over shelters, but saying not to adopt a purebred from a shelter if I read his earlier posts correctly. Weird and weirder.

Snoop_Dogg.jpg

Some people think breed of dog is synonymous with brand of merchandise.

They are all dogs. "Breeding" is no guarantee of anything.

Generic dogs are the best.

That is your opinion, you'd probably be very happy with a generic dog from a shelter.

My guess is that many that own purebred dogs/cats, contribute generously to shelters too. Sometimes the false rage is just tiresome.

I remember the good old days when you could go to the local shelter and get dogs and cats for free. Now you have to pay for spay/nueter and of course shots. Then you have to pay for a license.
Why do I have to pay all that shit for? I'm just gonna eat the animal. They are getting almost as expensive as pork chops.
Adopt a free range child.

That is your opinion, you'd probably be very happy with a generic dog from a shelter..
We are and so is she! :)
My guess is that many that own purebred dogs/cats, contribute generously to shelters too. Sometimes the false rage is just tiresome.

Lots of purebreds end up in shelters too. It's sad how many people buy a trophy pet only to discover it has needs too. I worked for a vet and in pet shop as a teenager and saw firsthand the horrors that result from the pet for profit industry. I would never support that industry by buying a purebred but I would adopt one. It's not the dog's fault where they came from.

Last edited:

That is your opinion, you'd probably be very happy with a generic dog from a shelter..
We are and so is she! :)

Lots of purebreds end up in shelters too. It's sad how many people buy a trophy pet only to discover it has needs too. I worked for a vet and in pet shop as a teenager and saw firsthand the horrors that result from the pet for profit industry. I would never support that industy by buying a purebred but I would adopt one. It's not the dog's fault what they came from.

I agree with people buying a pet they cannot handle. Those with kids especially need to be very aware of the limits of both the pet and kids. That's true though regardless of the breed or where one gets the pet. On the other hand, just like a good shelter, a good breeder will not sell one a dog, unless they meet the whole family. Those that breed cocker spaniels will not sell to a 'family' with smaller children, knowing their tendency to bite if startled or ears are bothering.

I see nothing wrong with breeders raising and selling pups. The excess of unwanted pets are from people that don't care for their pets, if not wanting puppies or kittens, they need to have the animal neutered.

Are you going to "wok" the dog?

Did Barry and/or Michelle take the kids to pick out the dog or did they just send someone to do it? The family needs to meet the dog and vice versa before deciding. The right dog will choose their family. It's not like picking out a car.

<chuckle> Well you do realize that the purpose of spay/neuter is the help prevent other dogs/cats from ending up in the local shelter, right? And the license is merely a means to monitor rabies vaccination status in most cases. You wouldn't want to be exposed to THAT shit, would you?

Now, as for the OP, I had one myself on the President's failure, as of yet, to keep his promise to his daughers, although I question the rationale of the hypo-allergenic dog of choice in the OP....

This is a fantastic picture.[/QUOTE

I had friends that raised a Portugese water dog from a puppy. The first few years the dog was just fine around kids & strangers. As it got older--about 8--he was hard to get around. Would growl a people, including kids, & even bit it's owner.

It got so mean--they finally had to put it down.

Hopefully, this Portugese water dog doesn't have the same inclination.

I have a very pregnant lab right now. Some mutt dug a hole under the fence when she was in heat. I think the President should have waited and adopted one.....I mean five, of my mutt puppies.

This is a fantastic picture.

I had friends that raised a Portugese water dog from a puppy. The first few years the dog was just fine around kids & strangers. As it got older--about 8--he was hard to get around. Would growl a people, including kids, & even bit it's owner.

It got so mean--they finally had to put it down.

Hopefully, this Portugese water dog doesn't have the same inclination.

I hope their dog stays sane! I love dogs. The new First Puppy is adorable. While I think it would have been nice for them to adopt from a shelter (because he did say that they were going to do this), I'm glad for the kids that they kept their word and got them a dog.

I saw this picture on tv today and think it's a great shot. I don't know how to put pictures up on here other than in thumbnails. If it were bigger you could see that the puppy's back left and front right paws are off the ground, as are both of Obama's feet. It's just a great shot.

The dog's name is Bo, as apparently Michelle's father was nicknamed Diddley and the name references Bo Diddley. The dog is also black and white. Hmmmm . . . . .

I can't believe this thread got the mileage that it did. We're talking about a dog...right? Who really cares what the dog pedigree is? it's got to be a lovable dog...just like most dogs are. Hey I'm about as conservative as it comes...but I have to give a pass on Obama on this one.
Having said that, I find it kind of curious that Barry was so vein that he had to name it...BO/B.O., like that's fooling anyone but maybe his kids.

Forum List

Back