Obama Bows to Saudi Prince and Japan's Emporer, Compare/contrast

Just curious as to why you think we should never bow to another leader even if it is their custom. Do you think it projects weakness, or is inapropriate as its the leader of our nation, or some other thing?

A bow is a symbol of submission. So it is one thing for Pres Bush to bow to the symbol of spirituality but another for him to bow down to foreign monarchs. It projects weakness. Of course Pres Obama projects weakness by his words and actions as well, regardless of whether he bows to anybody.
I am waiting for the video of him bowing to the head of SEIU.

It's a sign of respect in some other countries; not a symbol of weakness.

So I guess all the other leaders are disrespecting the emperor?

HotAirPundit: President Obama vs. The Rest of the World Greeting The Emperor of Japan (Photos)

And no, I do not think that a U.S. president should prostrate himself before any monarchy. And can anyone answer why Obama would bow to the Saudi King and the Japanese emperor and yet did not bow to the Queen of England?

Here's something you forget, in Japan bowing is not "prostrating", it's the same thing as a handshake in the US, a kiss in France, and in England it's a handshake. When in Rome ... otherwise you make an enemy. Allies are valuable, always, especially when trying to end more than two wars and avoid starting more because our troops are too thinly spread out now.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. We've had 43 other presidents before this one that managed to greet foreign leaders without bowing down to them. The closest any have come that I can think of was Clinton dipping his head slightly ( and he took heat from all sides on that ). I don't believe that all the other leaders got it wrong and only Obama knows how to respect another culture. He's a suck-up.

Vel that link was interesting.

Now you guys have me all confused as to if the president should or shouldn't have bowed in both instances. Argh :lol:

I have a sweet spot for japan so that could be shading my opinion as far as the emporer goes. To be honest it more looked like the japanese greeting bow to me (a deeper bow is an indication of apology in japan) which is part of the reason i dont have a problem with it.

The saudi bow look more submissive.

HotAirPundit: President Obama vs. The Rest of the World Greeting The Emperor of Japan (Photos)

And no, I do not think that a U.S. president should prostrate himself before any monarchy. And can anyone answer why Obama would bow to the Saudi King and the Japanese emperor and yet did not bow to the Queen of England?

Here's something you forget, in Japan bowing is not "prostrating", it's the same thing as a handshake in the US, a kiss in France, and in England it's a handshake. When in Rome ... otherwise you make an enemy. Allies are valuable, always, especially when trying to end more than two wars and avoid starting more because our troops are too thinly spread out now.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. We've had 43 other presidents before this one that managed to greet foreign leaders without bowing down to them. The closest any have come that I can think of was Clinton dipping his head slightly ( and he took heat from all sides on that ). I don't believe that all the other leaders got it wrong and only Obama knows how to respect another culture. He's a suck-up.

Um ... no. You are wrong. All of them have.

I think for the American President to bow to any other world leader is just plain ignorant. Our country should bow to NOBODY.

I believe when the President of the United States bows to another foreign head of state it shows weakness and the willingness to be submissive to that foreign government. I feel the only exception to this would be the President of the United States bowing to the Pope. That act to me would signify that the US is submissive to God and I find that acceptable. The rest of the bowing, be it customary or whatever to me is offensive.
You gotta love CON$! First they say an American president bows to no one, but after a picture of Bush bowing to the Pope is posted, an exception is made for a Pope. Now that I've posted a photo of Bush bowing to a ChiCom, they will make an exception for that too. :rofl:
This is what CON$ mean by "exceptionalism!" LOL
bush-in-china.jpg

Bush in China showing deference to a communist

Vel that link was interesting.

Now you guys have me all confused as to if the president should or shouldn't have bowed in both instances. Argh :lol:

I have a sweet spot for japan so that could be shading my opinion as far as the emporer goes. To be honest it more looked like the japanese greeting bow to me (a deeper bow is an indication of apology in japan) which is part of the reason i dont have a problem with it.

The saudi bow look more submissive.

You have to compare customs, a bow there is like a handshake here, a simple gesture that shows you are there for business. They don't touch each other very often, in Japan the custom of bowing holds strong for many reasons, one it's an ancient tradition, and lately they have become very big on sterilization for health. In Middle East it's just unheard of, you only touch the ones you are married to, so bows became their standard greeting ... and none of them want to look gay in any way. Shaking hands in the Middle East would likely be the same as two men open mouth kissing here. Many European countries are the opposite, they love hugs and kisses ... something about making your allies and friends close, showing that you trust them enough to hug them. I believe Russia is just salutes :razz: but likely that's just a stereotype on my part.

All of the other leaders have gotten it wrong? Can you clarify?

Oh ... and the traditional greeting in Taiwan is against the rules to explain in detail. :razz:

Sorry, gotta break the seriousness a little bit! ;)

All of the other leaders have gotten it wrong? Can you clarify?

Actually, this pic demonstrates both my points nicely. Look at the expression of disgust at being touched here with the "handshake-bow" that Bush used:

bush-in-china.jpg

I think for the American President to bow to any other world leader is just plain ignorant. Our country should bow to NOBODY.

I believe when the President of the United States bows to another foreign head of state it shows weakness and the willingness to be submissive to that foreign government. I feel the only exception to this would be the President of the United States bowing to the Pope. That act to me would signify that the US is submissive to God and I find that acceptable. The rest of the bowing, be it customary or whatever to me is offensive.
You gotta love CON$! First they say an American president bows to no one, but after a picture of Bush bowing to the Pope is posted, an exception is made for a Pope. Now that I've posted a photo of Bush bowing to a ChiCom, they will make an exception for that too. :rofl:
bush-in-china.jpg

Please give us the context for this pic please. Source?

As is typical of CON$ they have very selective memories allowing them to just make up any crap they desire.

Or maybe they are just too young to remember Eisenhower and just pretend to have knowledge because they heard from GOP hate radio that presidents never bow to anyone and they are STUPID enough to believe anything they hear from a CON$ervative propagandist.
eisenhower+bow.jpg

Pope John XXIII
AP5912040168%282%29.jpg

wife of Italian Prime Minister Giovanni Gronchi
AP590428059.jpg

Archbishop Iakovos of New York, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America
AP5909020306%282%29.jpg

Charles De Gaulle

bush-in-china.jpg

What the hell does "context: have to do with this? He bowed and shook hands, period. They all do for one reason, they want allies. Insulting the other leaders is never smart, unless you enjoy fighting wars.

Just thought I'd try and start another fun comparison thread.

YouTube - Obama Bows to Saudi King

YouTube - Barack Obama bows to Japan's Emperor Akihito

So lets get to the comparison, contrast, and opinions.

I think he was just trying to show respect to both leaders as it is custom in both countries to bow to the royalty and emporer.

That being said something about an american president Bowing to the Saudi bothers me A LOT more than him bowing to the Japanese. I think its because the japanese are our ally and act like a good friend in international matters, their actions show their alliance with us. The saudis on the other hand dont seem as helpful in anything and their country spawned the 9/11 hijackers.

In the end I say both bows were appropriate but am still a little bothered by the saudi one.

What say you guys and gals?

I have many concerns about what is going on in the country, but I can't think of much that I am less concerned about, than I am about this president bowing.
One thing I did notice though, he put a lot more into it this time, almost like a "fuck you" to the people bitching about it.:lol:

So our country should respect no other country? Does that mean people from other countries should refuse to shake our hands when we put them out?

bush-in-china.jpg

What the hell does "context: have to do with this? He bowed and shook hands, period. They all do for one reason, they want allies. Insulting the other leaders is never smart, unless you enjoy fighting wars.

Context has EVERYTHING to do with it when you're dealing with a photoshopped picture. I found the actual picture with a google search. I can't seem to upload the damn thing though. When I click on the insert image icon, nothing happens.

Context has EVERYTHING to do with it when you're dealing with a photoshopped picture. I found the actual picture with a google search. I can't seem to upload the damn thing though. When I click on the insert image icon, nothing happens.
BALONEY!
18221202.jpg

bushit.jpg

bushit2.jpg

Hands off my wife!

C'mon ED i know your not stupid even if you can be annoying.

Lay your own personal opinon out, from your pictures I'm guessing you think it is ok for our leaders to bow but I dont want to assume anything. Opine on your view a little bit instead of just posting pictures of the evil one.

Forum List

Back