Nunes sues Twitter, some users, seeks over $250M alleging anti-conservative 'shadow bans,' smears

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."

how would you feel if an entire company was trying to silence anyone and everyone that had the same political opinions as you

but he got another 2 yr gig... so what is he piss off at? it's cause shiff kicked him off the intel chair & can silence him at any time....

but he got another 2 yr gig... so what is he piss off at? it's cause shiff kicked him off the intel chair & can silence him at any time....
Schitt didn't kick him off of anything.

exactly.............. but devon is now taking a backseat to shiff.

neener neener.
As if I care.

It will be amusing to watch your side whine and complain again when the same tactics are used against Democrats.

Nunez should go to jail for stealing my tax dollars.

It's progress. This Nunes lawsuit and the Covington kid's lawsuit is progress. I'm not sure the Deripaska lawsuit will get anywhere though??

"But Twitter is free." Not really. I'm giving them access to my data, which they are (trying to) monetize. That's 'consideration' (as lawyers say) in the New Economy! And-if they shadowban-they've obtained it on questionable pretenses, no?

You can't sue anybody for not letting you post to their forum. It's no different than USMB who removes posts or kills them.

Twitter is a private company and has plenty of competition, so it's not really a monopoly. They can allow or disallow anybody they desire for any reason they desire. This suit will be a complete waste of money for them.

You can't sue anybody for not letting you post to their forum. It's no different than USMB who removes posts or kills them.

Twitter is a private company and has plenty of competition, so it's not really a monopoly. They can allow or disallow anybody they desire for any reason they desire. This suit will be a complete waste of money for them.

The National Enquire is a private company as well, but that isn't stopping democrats from tying to go after Pecker for buying stories to not publish.

And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."
Can't go anywhere, Twitter is a private company and can refuse service to whomever they please.

You kids probably should have baked those gay wedding cakes, then you might have a leg to stand on.

The National Enquire is a private company as well, but that isn't stopping democrats from tying to go after Pecker for buying stories to not publish.
If it makes you feel better, I doubt those will go anywhere either.

Can't go anywhere, Twitter is a private company and can refuse service to whomever they please.

You kids probably should have baked those gay wedding cakes, then you might have a leg to stand on.
If they are acting as editors, then they can be sued for their content.

That's the bottom line.

Full text of the complaint

Excerpt from the Linkedin page of Liz Mair, one of the defendants:

"Mair Strategies is a boutique online, strategic, crisis and political communications firm with deep expertise in opposition research development, formulation and seeding.

We anonymously smear our clients' opponents on the Internet.

We get sh*t done."

Nunes is going to win this case, big time.

I'm not familiar with the case. But I do know the Enquirer and they are not social media. Nobody has a right to participate on Twitter like nobody has a right to participate in USMB. I've even heard of YouTube (now owned by Google) doing similar things.

Forum List

Back