NRA Wants Mentally Ill To Have Gun Rights

You oppose the right of people to go to court and prove that they aren't actually crazy?

Maybe we should prevent mentally ill people from voting or driving cars forever too.

But if you have a history of mental illness, you can't prove you are cured. Mental illness can't be cured, it can only be treated.

and you know this how ?.. furthermore when you say mental illness you are covering a broad spectrum that can almost anything from depression, addiction or being hyper to full on psychosis..all of which are labeled mental illness

The person with the mental illness would need to include all relevant information about illness, treatment and psychological evaluations/recommendations from licensed mental health professionals when petitioning for gun rights.

The person with the mental illness would need to include all relevant information about illness, treatment and psychological evaluations/recommendations from licensed mental health professionals when petitioning for gun rights.

licensed mental health professionals
practice a pseudo science where the treatment if often more dangerous than the so called illness..they have prescribed treatments en mass that are proven to be deadly and ineffective and continue to as we speak even though these same treatments have been banned in Europe and you want them in control of peoples 2nd Amendment rights

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.

More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.

More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

The 5th strictest gunlaws and a massacre still happen. Bad people will have access, motive and carry it out.

you failed to realize no physical deterrents were at Sandy Hook...as in street presence.

Furthermore, why hasn't major nadal hasan been execute for killing 13 and maiming 30 at Fort Hood massacre.

What say you Barry Soetoro; Janet Numbnuts; DiFi; Eric Witholder?

Political lap dogs in Pavloffs corner: draw up some worthless gun ban where the evils will still have access as in Fast and Furious...Brian Terry ring a bell; Benghazi?????

Last edited:

All hale Lakhota

NRA Wants Mentally Ill To Have Gun Rights
Whew!!!

Whatta "creative" way of making their paranoia more-acceptable to the civilized-World!!

241.png

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.

More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.

More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

Well YOU do have guns right?

But if you have a history of mental illness, you can't prove you are cured. Mental illness can't be cured, it can only be treated.

Once again it doesn't matter. The angle is simply that. Lakhotacrat and the Leftytoons want all guns banned. And nerfguns if possible. Mental illness just gives them a way to start a 1000th thread on the subject to jack the board up. It is ridiculous and all my responses will be just as ridiculous from this point on.

That's a dumb question. Google it...

Trust me, I know what I am talking about, even federal law allows convicted felons to own guns under some conditions. Care to prove how stupid you are by arguing with me?

You twisted my original question, so, no. I don't wish to argue with your new question.

The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Federal Gun Law | Law Offices of Keith A. Williams, P.A. | Greenville North Carolina

I twisted my original response? How? My original response was simply a query to you about what makes you think felons do not have gun rights? Your link just proved me correct, and you wrong.

10. Can a felon ever regain the right to own a gun by having his civil rights restored? Theoretically yes, but practically no. 18 U.S.C. §§ 921(a)(20) and (a)(33)(B)(ii) say that "[a]ny conviction which has been expunged, or set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of" the federal gun ban. To determine whether someone's civil right to own a gun has been restored, federal courts "look to the law of the jurisdiction of conviction . . . and consider the jurisdiction's entire body of law." United States v. O'Neal, 180 F.3d 115, 119 (4th Cir.), cert. denied, 528 U.S. 980 (1999).

The particular blog you are using only covers law in New Hampshire, so the rest of that particular response only applies there. Federal law allows convicted felons to won laws if the state law under which they were convicted does. Felons have gun rights, you lose.

You oppose the right of people to go to court and prove that they aren't actually crazy?

Maybe we should prevent mentally ill people from voting or driving cars forever too.

Depression can't be cured? since when?

That's a dumb question. Google it...

Trust me, I know what I am talking about, even federal law allows convicted felons to own guns under some conditions. Care to prove how stupid you are by arguing with me?

I am interested to know whether you agree with convicted felons owning a firearm?

What difference does that make?

Let me ask you, do you think a person convicted of embezzlement should lose his right to self defense?

This is Lakhota moving the goal post after he was proved wrong.

Like you care. Why keep playing games. You don't want anyone who has ever had a mental defect to have guns period.

Not true, but I DO want them to undergo a very thorough and rigorous legal and psychological process to prove they are mentally fit to deserve gun rights.

people in hell want ice water too...maybe you can judge if they DESERVE IT comrade

What criteria do you use to determine mental illness in order to deny someone a gun? Is clinical depression a mental illness? From what I have read 30% of U.S. women suffer from it.

What criteria do you use to determine mental illness in order to deny someone a gun? Is clinical depression a mental illness? From what I have read 30% of U.S. women suffer from it.

I find it very odd that several posters have asked what qualifies as mental illness to deny gun rights. How would any of us know? What may make someone unstable may not make someone else unstable. It depends on the individual.

What qualifies as mental illness (and its degree of severity) to approve or deny gun rights can only be determined upon examinations by licensed mental health professionals - then ruled on by legal professionals (judges) based on a person's mental illness history along with psychiatric examinations and recommendations. This process could also include interviews with a person's family, friends, employers and co-workers (if applicable).

I find it very odd that several posters have asked what qualifies as mental illness to deny gun rights. How would any of us know? What may make someone unstable may not make someone else unstable. It depends on the individual.

What qualifies as mental illness (and its degree of severity) to approve or deny gun rights can only be determined upon examinations by licensed mental health professionals - then ruled on by legal professionals (judges) based on a person's mental illness history along with psychiatric examinations and recommendations. This process could also include interviews with a person's family, friends, employers and co-workers (if applicable).

oh well...too bad we don't live in your dream of a commie country...but you would also look good in brown with jack boots

Forum List

Back