NRA Wants Mentally Ill To Have Gun Rights

Possession of a firearm by the mentally ill is regulated by both state and federal laws.

Federal Law

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

State Laws (see link below)

Possession of a Firearm by the Mentally Ill

Note the word "ajudicated" which means a judge says you are mentally defective in a legal sense. It is the same as a conviction.

Most judges aren't qualified to rule on anyone's mental competence without input from trained mental health professionals.

Note the word "ajudicated" which means a judge says you are mentally defective in a legal sense. It is the same as a conviction.

Most judges aren't qualified to rule on anyone's mental competence without input from trained mental health professionals.

Most judges dont know about alot of things in front of them. What they know is the law. Thats why you get testimony from shrinks in this case, and the judge can also have thier own shrink as a source.

You cannot have individual shrinks decide if someone can or can not own a gun due to mental defect. Thats not how our system works.

Most judges dont know about alot of things in front of them. What they know is the law. Thats why you get testimony from shrinks in this case, and the judge can also have thier own shrink as a source.

You cannot have individual shrinks decide if someone can or can not own a gun due to mental defect. Thats not how our system works.

If you read the links in this thread, you'd know that judges are reportedly generally just taking the person's word that they're okay now. Not very reassuring...

Like you care. Why keep playing games. You don't want anyone who has ever had a mental defect to have guns period.

Like you care. Why keep playing games. You don't want anyone who has ever had a mental defect to have guns period.

Not true, but I DO want them to undergo a very thorough and rigorous legal and psychological process to prove they are mentally fit to deserve gun rights.

Not true, but I DO want them to undergo a very thorough and rigorous legal and psychological process to prove they are mentally fit to deserve gun rights.

:lmao:

then you would fail!!

so when are you planning on giving up those guns of your?

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.

More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.

More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

Honestly, I don't have a problem with a fair and reasonable petition process for people who may have been unfairly labeled mentally ill. The standard should be high and involve the objective review of medical records by an expert.

What bugs the shit outta of me, MANY states and the MILITARY do not report regularly or fully to NICS.

What's the point of having NICS if it is not kept up to date and accurate.

I wish president would sign an executive order, halting the sale of guns until NICS is brought up to date and ALL states and the MILITARY are compliant.

Seriously, why would the NRA want the mentally ill to have gun rights?

Only those who are mentally ill would want those who are mentally ill to possess lethal weapons. The only issue is the process by which someone is determined to be mentally ill. Clearly someone has been adjudged to be mentally incompetent at one point is capable of becoming competent later on. If this is not true than all the psychotherapy stuff is pure nonsense.

What makes you think convicted felons do not have gun rights?

That's a dumb question. Google it...

Trust me, I know what I am talking about, even federal law allows convicted felons to own guns under some conditions. Care to prove how stupid you are by arguing with me?

You twisted my original question, so, no. I don't wish to argue with your new question.

The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Federal Gun Law | Law Offices of Keith A. Williams, P.A. | Greenville North Carolina

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.
More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.
More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

You oppose the right of people to go to court and prove that they aren't actually crazy?

Maybe we should prevent mentally ill people from voting or driving cars forever too.

But if you have a history of mental illness, you can't prove you are cured. Mental illness can't be cured, it can only be treated.

Forum List

Back