NRA Wants Mentally Ill To Have Gun Rights

I can understand why there is concern with a person's mental health issues. This country has seen quite a few mass shootings by persons who had mental health issues.
I can also understand why folks think they should have the right to own a gun once their illness has been brought under control
In most cases, mental health issues are caused by chemical imbalance within the person's brain. In most cases the issue is resolved through medications. Some people can stop taking their meds, others cannot.
In determining whether a person is mentally competent/healthy, that judgment should be conducted by a panel of mental health professionals, who have access to that persons medical records. Also, the applicant should be questioned by the mental health experts, plus a test should be administered to ensure the person meets pre-determined standards.
Now this may appear that an applicant would be required to jump threw hoops but when person loses the driver's license, they have to jump through hoops to be reinstated.

I can understand why there is concern with a person's mental health issues. This country has seen quite a few mass shootings by persons who had mental health issues.
I can also understand why folks think they should have the right to own a gun once their illness has been brought under control
In most cases, mental health issues are caused by chemical imbalance within the person's brain.

Fact..there is no evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory
In most cases the issue is resolved through medications.

conditions are often severely elevated with drugs
Some people can stop taking their meds, others cannot.
In determining whether a person is mentally competent/healthy, that judgment should be conducted by a panel of mental health professionals, who have access to that persons medical records.

and this will be the result..

Also, the applicant should be questioned by the mental health experts, plus a test should be administered to ensure the person meets pre-determined standards.
Now this may appear that an applicant would be required to jump threw hoops but when person loses the driver's license, they have to jump through hoops to be reinstated

Last edited by a moderator:
The NRA and the gun lobby are at the core of most of this bloodshed. Not the rank and file. I've spoken to many, many NRA members who share my views on safe and sensible gun laws. It's the gun lobby hierarchy that crafts and distorts the message and conversation to make it all about America, the Constitution and whatever other drivel they can make up to keep their coffers and political influence fat and their paranoid and fear-driven propaganda flying. They are insidiously evil entities that make the tobacco lobby look like the Make-A-Wish campaign by contrast.

Stand up to NRA bullies - SFGate

In most cases, mental health issues are caused by chemical imbalance within the person's brain.

Fact..there is no evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory

conditions are often severely elevated with drugs

and this will be the result..

Also, the applicant should be questioned by the mental health experts, plus a test should be administered to ensure the person meets pre-determined standards.
Now this may appear that an applicant would be required to jump threw hoops but when person loses the driver's license, they have to jump through hoops to be reinstated

Psych meds linked to 90% of school shootings

Last edited by a moderator:
The NRA and the gun lobby are at the core of most of this bloodshed. Not the rank and file. I've spoken to many, many NRA members who share my views on safe and sensible gun laws. It's the gun lobby hierarchy that crafts and distorts the message and conversation to make it all about America, the Constitution and whatever other drivel they can make up to keep their coffers and political influence fat and their paranoid and fear-driven propaganda flying. They are insidiously evil entities that make the tobacco lobby look like the Make-A-Wish campaign by contrast.

Stand up to NRA bullies - SFGate

Why do believe in disarming American citizens and abolishing the 2nd Amendment yet believe in the 1st Amendment?????

eots apparently has issues...

why is that ?.what evidence do you have to support the validity of the chemical imbalance theory or the effects of medications..or the ability of your so called mental health professionals to have any real ability to screen anything with any accuracy

She ain't worth it. I understand where you are coming from.

Seriously, why would the NRA want the mentally ill to have gun rights?

The issue isn't the mentally ill having gun rights. The issue is the mentally-ill-who-have-been-involuntarily-psychiatrically-committed having gun rights. There's a huge difference.

And it's not just the NRA. There is widespread advocacy to destigmatize mental illness and, as part of that, folks object to the notion of linking criminal databases with people's health information.

Last edited:
Meet The Press Interview Exposes Hole In NRA's Mental Health Plan

During an interview on Meet the Press, the NRA's Wayne LaPierre said that a major flaw in the background check system is that states have failed to input mental health records, allowing people who have mental health issues that would prohibit them from buying a firearm to nonetheless pass a background check. But moments later, he expressed opposition to extending the background check system to all gun sales, maintaining a loophole that would allow the mentally ill to continue to obtain firearms.

More: Meet The Press Interview Exposes Hole In NRA's Mental Health Plan | Blog | Media Matters for America

Virginia has more than 180,000 on its list. Nineteen states have less than 100 each.

As the White House eyes new gun-controls following the Sandy Hook school massacre and firearms dealers are seeing guns sales spike, a handful of recent investigative reports suggest that the nation’s state-run system of screening gun buyers for mental illness is mostly a mirage—except in a dozen states where governors want the system to work.

3/4ths of States Ignore Mental Illness Background Checks For Gun Buyers | Alternet

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.]

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.
More:

You oppose the right of people to go to court and prove that they aren't actually crazy?

Maybe we should prevent mentally ill people from voting or driving cars forever too.

go back and reread then do a little research. They don't have to prove they aren't crazy to get their gun right's restored.

There is no such requirement in there, the judge can agree to restore or decline solely on his/her discretion . In other words the Judge could decide someone is mentally unstable but judge them not a danger and so give them their guns back.

I think that is a mistake to allow that. No one can tell when someone who is mentally unstable might become a danger.

Not that taking their own right to own guns away is a sure fire way to prevent them from obtaining a gun, but shit, you can't just throw up your hands and not do anything.

Forum List

Back