NPR describes Biden's executive order on abortion as "limited." Has congress done anything at all?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I was very surprised that congress did not send a bill to the president to sign as soon as the USSC opinion was leaked. I thought, 'I guess they are waiting until it's official and using the time to draft some . . . awesome legislation* to protect this key right they are so concerned about. We'll see it so quick after the announcement that the decision will be pushed to the back page.'

But so far, nothing.

The executive order makes a limited effort

The executive order pledges to ensure the safety of abortion patients and providers, including setting up mobile clinics near the borders of states restricting abortion access. It also seeks to convene private, pro bono lawyers to offer support to people crossing state lines to get an abortion.

Another part of the order directs the secretary of Health and Human Services to issue a report in the next 30 days outlining additional actions to protect medication abortion, expand access on emergency contraception and IUDs, and increase public education around reproductive rights.

The Biden administration is also calling on the Federal Trade Commission — an independent body — to consider taking steps to protect the privacy of people who are looking for information about abortion services.

Additional actions will depend on Congress

The White House says the executive order builds off the administration's previous steps to protect abortion access. That included providing nearly $3 million in new funding to bolster training and technical assistance for family planning providers as well as offering paid leave for federal workers who need to travel to obtain reproductive health care.

Still, none of the measures have yet addressed demand from some Democratic governors to supply additional abortion care resources in their states, nor have they considered travel assistance for pregnant people who are seeking abortions but live in states that restrict the procedure.

What's up widdat?

Could it be that the Dems are not interested in fighting the Reps on the floor of the Capital over abortion? Abortionists do tend to lose debates in an orderly forum. No doubt Reps would be carefully taping all of their speeches and using them for campaign ads in October.

The Dems' best forum is one where they control all sides, and are in front of a very abortion-friendly audience. The licensed broadcasters, plus CNN, NPR, and MSNBC are their wheel house. There, they can pretend that abortions are about ten year olds impregnated by unknown abusers, and women who desperately wanted a child, but were told by their doctor that they would die in delivery, and no one will call them on it.

*The phrase that popped into my head was "killer legislation," but I thought that was too on the nosey.

I was very surprised that congress did not send a bill to the president to sign as soon as the USSC opinion was leaked. I thought, 'I guess they are waiting until it's official and using the time to draft some . . . awesome legislation* to protect this key right they are so concerned about. We'll see it so quick after the announcement that the decision will be pushed to the back page.'

But so far, nothing.

The executive order pledges to ensure the safety of abortion patients and providers, including setting up mobile clinics near the borders of states restricting abortion access. It also seeks to convene private, pro bono lawyers to offer support to people crossing state lines to get an abortion.

Another part of the order directs the secretary of Health and Human Services to issue a report in the next 30 days outlining additional actions to protect medication abortion, expand access on emergency contraception and IUDs, and increase public education around reproductive rights.

The Biden administration is also calling on the Federal Trade Commission — an independent body — to consider taking steps to protect the privacy of people who are looking for information about abortion services.

The White House says the executive order builds off the administration's previous steps to protect abortion access. That included providing nearly $3 million in new funding to bolster training and technical assistance for family planning providers as well as offering paid leave for federal workers who need to travel to obtain reproductive health care.

Still, none of the measures have yet addressed demand from some Democratic governors to supply additional abortion care resources in their states, nor have they considered travel assistance for pregnant people who are seeking abortions but live in states that restrict the procedure.

What's up widdat?

Could it be that the Dems are not interested in fighting the Reps on the floor of the Capital over abortion? Abortionists do tend to lose debates in an orderly forum. No doubt Reps would be carefully taping all of their speeches and using them for campaign ads in October.

The Dems' best forum is one where they control all sides, and are in front of a very abortion-friendly audience. The licensed broadcasters, plus CNN, NPR, and MSNBC are their wheel house. There, they can pretend that abortions are about ten year olds impregnated by unknown abusers, and women who desperately wanted a child, but were told by their doctor that they would die in delivery, and no one will call them on it.

*The phrase that popped into my head was "killer legislation," but I thought that was too on the nosey.

Congress has no more constitutional authority to impose abortion on the nation than the court did. If by some chance they can resurrect the bill the house passed, it would be stricken by the courts as unconstitutional.

Congress has no more constitutional authority to impose abortion on the nation than the court did. If by some chance they can resurrect the bill the house passed, it would be stricken by the courts as unconstitutional.

Hence the need by the Left to "stack the court". It will just be another step toward civil conflict. I'm not sure the country is going to survive these tactics. Orderly secession should be in the negotiation stages now. Likeminded states that want to remain under the constitutional rule should begin talks NOW.

But so far, nothing.

What's up widdat?

Perhaps because the Dems know it will never pass? It would be struck down as unconstitutional anway!

Eventually, the Supreme Court will come to the conclusion that unborn children are, in fact, "persons" as defined by the law and therefore a state refusing to protect their right to life is in violation of the Equal Protection Clause.

Forum List

Back