"Nothing good can come from an after-school Satan club" - Alveda King

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

Surprisingly, Alveda King does not advocate for the club to be banned. Instead, she encourages parents to form a Christian club to counter the Satanist club. She says WTTE of "don't be afraid of them, outdo them."

If we are going to allow Christian clubs on campuses - and in Texas we surely do - we have to allow all religions the same privilege to access the campus. Personally, I'd prefer to see no religious clubs on campus, but I can understand how a Christian club would feel they are being discriminated against if the school allows after-school chess club, video game club, young Democrats/Republicans,* and other non-academic activities.

In Texas, I've yet to work a school that did not have a "Youth for Christ" club. The idea is that one or more students step up to form the club and a couple of teachers volunteer to sponsor the club. In practice, last year's teacher sponsors seek out a student to put their name on the application for the club and the adults do all the rest.

They bring donuts (it's always donuts) on the morning the club meets before school, and announcements are made to encourage students to attend the club. If we do that for Jesus, how can we not do that for Satan?

*If they did have both a Young Democrats Club and a Satan Worshippers Club, they would have to schedule them on different days, so the members would not be forced to choose.

How old are the kids?
Good question and I don't know. I worked briefly in elementary before I moved to Junior High. I don't remember any "student sponsored" Christian clubs in elementary. Maybe it would just be too implausible that fourth graders are wanting to form that club and adults just happen to be willing to sponsor them.

I'd be fine with a parent having the right to forbid their kids form joining a religious club of any denomination and the school be required to enforce that. In Texas, by law an eighteen year old student is treated like an adult, so they could Jump for Jesus or Sin for Satan, as they choose.

It might be a good idea for a school to forbid pyrotechnics or animals for any club.

Because if we allow one religion to access the campus, but exclude others, that would be an establishment of the one religion is the state-accepted religion. That is forbidden by our constitution.
why allow any religion access Seymour?

~S~

why allow any religion access Seymour?

~S~
Oh, now I see why you truncated my quote. The full quote was not

we have to allow all religions the same privilege to access the campus

It was

If we are going to allow Christian clubs on campuses - and in Texas we surely do - we have to allow all religions the same privilege to access the campus.

I'd be fine with banning religious clubs altogether. I prefer math club and foreign languages clubs. But a parent would have a case to say that if Chess Club is allowed, religious clubs should not be excluded. I'd like to form a poker club on my campus, but I fear that parents would object and I'd wind up on the news. Maybe if I win the WSOP this summer as planned, I'll bring that up next school year.

If I did form a poker club, and a Christian parent said, "Poker is Mr. Flops' religion!" I'd have a hard time honestly denying that.

Surprisingly, Alveda King does not advocate for the club to be banned. Instead, she encourages parents to form a Christian club to counter the Satanist club. She says WTTE of "don't be afraid of them, outdo them."

If we are going to allow Christian clubs on campuses - and in Texas we surely do - we have to allow all religions the same privilege to access the campus. Personally, I'd prefer to see no religious clubs on campus, but I can understand how a Christian club would feel they are being discriminated against if the school allows after-school chess club, video game club, young Democrats/Republicans,* and other non-academic activities.

In Texas, I've yet to work a school that did not have a "Youth for Christ" club. The idea is that one or more students step up to form the club and a couple of teachers volunteer to sponsor the club. In practice, last year's teacher sponsors seek out a student to put their name on the application for the club and the adults do all the rest.

They bring donuts (it's always donuts) on the morning the club meets before school, and announcements are made to encourage students to attend the club. If we do that for Jesus, how can we not do that for Satan?

*If they did have both a Young Democrats Club and a Satan Worshippers Club, they would have to schedule them on different days, so the members would not be forced to choose.

Wouldn't a "Satan Club" have to believe in Satan?

Oh, and I'm still waiting for you to show us "separation of church and state" in the United States Constitution?
At the heart of the debate is a 1962 U.S. Supreme Court case called Engel v. Vitale. In its ruling in this case, the Court decided that prayer in public schools violates the First Amendment to the U.S Constitution

~S~

Forum List

Back