'Not enough' troops, equipment in Puerto Rico, says general in charge of relief

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Well at least more help is coming soon. This seems to contradict what a lot of people are saying though, which is that we were as prepared as we could have been. We had a bigger and quicker response to the Haiti earthquake in 2010. Haiti is not part of the United States and we obviously had no advance warning of the earthquake, unlike the hurricane that ravaged Puerto Rico.

'Not enough' troops, equipment in Puerto Rico, says general in charge of relief

The Defense Department has not sent enough troops and vehicles to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico but will soon send more, according to the three-star general newly in charge of coordinating the military response.

Army Lt. Gen. Jeff Buchanan said Friday morning that the Pentagon has 10,000 people helping with the response after Hurricanes Irma and Maria ripped through Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands earlier this month.

"We're certainly bringing in more [troops]," Buchanan said on CNN's "New Day."

"For example, on the military side, we're bringing in both Air Force, Navy, and Army medical capabilities in addition to aircraft, more helicopters. ... [But] it's not enough, and we're bringing more in."

Last edited:
  • Banned
Maybe the Ricans should consider statehood for more help..

Haiti is not a state and their natural disaster had no advance warning. Why did we have a significantly better disaster response for a different country in the same part of the world? Puerto Ricans are citizens.

Last edited:

Haiti is not a state and their natural disaster had no advance warning. Why did we have a significantly better disaster response for a different country in the same part of the world? Puerto Ricans are citizens.
We have been involved with Haiti since George Washington...The Haiti earthquake didn't happen after two major hurricanes hit the US...

• Banned

Haiti is not a state. Why did we have a significantly better disaster response for a different country in the same part of the world? Puerto Ricans are citizens.
Ya, and Haiti is doing great today

How is this relevant? The size and speed of our effort to help another country was significantly greater than the effort to help American citizens. Why?

About 17 years ago Marxist Puerto Rican activists managed to get the government to kick the U.S. Marines out of a base on Vieques that they had been using for 60 years. Wouldn't it have been nice if the Marines were still around with helicopters, amphibious vehicles and manpower? I haven't heard them apologize.

• Banned
About 17 years ago Marxist Puerto Rican activists managed to get the government to kick the U.S. Marines out of a base on Vieques that they had been using for 60 years. Wouldn't it have been nice if the Marines were still around with helicopters, amphibious vehicles and manpower? I haven't heard them apologize.

So what about my question though? Why a bigger and quicker response for people that are not U.S citizens?

So what about my question though? Why a bigger and quicker response for people that are not U.S citizens?
Prove it was quicker......and we werent dealing with with threes disasters at once

Prove it was quicker......and we werent dealing with with threes disasters at once

It's a joke to suggest the United States of America lacks the military resources to have a better response than it did. I don't buy the "but the other hurricanes..." argument for a second. We absolutely could have responded with the same urgency as when Haiti got hit.

U.S. response in Puerto Rico pales next to actions after Haiti quake

After an earthquake shattered Haiti’s capital on Jan. 12, 2010, the U.S. military mobilized as if it were going to war. Before dawn the next morning, an Army unit was airborne, on its way to seize control of the main airport in Port-au-Prince. Within two days, the Pentagon had 8,000 American troops en route. Within two weeks, 33 U.S. military ships and 22,000 troops had arrived. More than 300 military helicopters buzzed overhead, delivering millions of pounds of food and water.

Relief was already stretched thin with response to continental U.S. citizens in two areas.

When Haiti earthquake happened, not much was going on.

As of 2015, 5 years after the earthquake, over 500,000 victims were still living in temporary shelters without electricity, plumbing or sewage. Lack of proper sanitation is thought to be the foundation upon which the ongoing cholera outbreak is based. Humanitarian response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake - Wikipedia Great job hilly and billy

Haiti is a third world country. Nothing you're saying contradicts the fact that we had a bigger and quicker response for a different country.

As of 2015, 5 years after the earthquake, over 500,000 victims were still living in temporary shelters without electricity, plumbing or sewage. Lack of proper sanitation is thought to be the foundation upon which the ongoing cholera outbreak is based. Humanitarian response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake - Wikipedia Great job hilly and billy

Haiti is a third world country. Nothing you're saying contradicts the fact that we had a bigger and quicker response for a different country.
You havent proved it was quicker...I proved it a failure after five yrs half million vicitms still suffering....you must hate them ...rrrigghttt

Relief was already stretched thin with response to continental U.S. citizens in two areas.

We have the United States military, the biggest and most well funded force on Earth. There's no way we were incapable of doing better. We at least could have matched our response to Haiti.

No one in the govt has said that we don't have the capability to send more assistance due to other disasters.

We have the United States military, the biggest and most well funded force on Earth. There's no way we were incapable of doing better. We at least could have matched our response to Haiti.
international response.........apples and oranges......,,,,PR isnt only place affected we have resources spread about Carib

Nonsense.
Post a quote from any govt official saying that is the case.

Forum List

Back