Not All Conservatives Thrilled About Romney VP Pick

By Ian Millhiser

In April of 2011, after Republican Vice Presidential nominee Paul Ryan had been House Budget Chair for only a few months, he convinced nearly the entire House GOP caucus to vote for a laissez-faire budget resolution that would slash education, raise taxes on the middle class, and destroy Medicaid’s promise to provide health care to the most vulnerable Americans. Like his running mate Mitt Romney’s tax plan, the Ryan Plan also combined austerity for the poor and the middle class with large tax cuts for the rich.

The Ryan Plan that passed the House in 2011 is most famous, however, for its multiple step plan to phase out Medicare. Let us say that again so we are perfectly clear about what the Ryan Plan does to Medicare. It does not just “end Medicare as we know it” and it certainly does not “reform” Medicare.” The Ryan Plan simply ends Medicare, although it admittedly takes some time for it to achieve this goal.

More w/Chart (worth reading): Paul Ryan's Original Medicare Plan Ends Medicare, Period | ThinkProgress

The original plan is off the table.

If the GOP wins the presidency and the Senate, it will be right back on the table. That's what Americans need to know;

they need to know that the Republicans will say anything to get elected, but we already know what they really want, based on how they voted on the original Medicare-killing bill,

and based on the fact that Romney has said in the past that he would have signed it.

It's really interesing and telling when someone makes a criticism of Ryan for instance, that other names are brought up who supposedly didn't do things either. I don't like Harry Reid and was hoping he'd lose in NV but we are talking about Paul Ryan here and the things he's accomplished. Which isn't much for a supposedly respected and fantastic leader as Mitt Romney now calls him. As a leader, his record is dismal. If he were a leader he'd get more bills passed. He is like every other member of Congress--out for themselves!

This is interesting. Is this an example of a leader?

Joseph Biden, former Senator from Delaware - GovTrack.us

Incredible.

The Democrats admit that Medicare needs to be changed. But they scream about "ending Medicare as we know it." Well, that's what change is. If the Democrats change Medicare in their way, they're also "ending Medicare as we know it."

My head is about to explode. This is madness. I think I'll go to the office now.

Obama did make some pretty fundamental changes to Medicare..and where it was scored to be "bankrupt" in 2016..now thanks to the changes..it's scored to be "bankrupt" in 2024.

Was it magic? Nope.

It was going through the books..finding inefficiencies and getting rid of them.

Unfortunately for the private sector..those efficiencies cost them big. It stopped the flow of government dollars.

Which is why alot of them are up in arms.

All his "plan" does is delay the inevitable...bankruptcy of medicare.

Look...you may not agree with Ryans plan....but he was bold enough to present it...he did not worry about what was politically expedient. He knows there is an issue and he put his career on the line with a viable solution. Is it a solution that will be economically BEST for the American people as it pertains to senior caqre down the road? No. Of course not. There can NOT be a plan like that for the economically BEST plan for individuals is what put thew system on the road of disaster.

So he propsed a plan that will allow Americans to prepare....todays seniors...and all who will become seniors in the next ten years do not need to worry. Ryan is well aware that they have no time to prepare...so nothing will change for them.

Those that are 45-54 are the ones that will hurt the most...for they have little time to prepare.....but someone is going to have to tkae a hit.

Now...all that being said....we all know Obamas desire.,..he wants a single payer system for all through life.....I applaud the idea....but I dont necessarily think it is a good one....but those that say they want it are bold and deserve an applause.

But Obama is showing he is more wrapped up in his political career than he is in solving problems. He should go out there and say "my plan is a single payer system from the day you are born to the day you die." But he knows he will lose many independents with that...

So criticize ryans plan all you want....but at least he had the balls to present one.

Put some thought into this. Who is better for our country right now..one with the balls to present a plan...or one with no balls at all?

What's bold about it?

It throws granny down a flight of stairs. There's nothing bold about that.

What would be bold would be if Ryan took a stand against defense spending. He doesn't. He wants to increase it.

And if you think this sort of spending is good for that nation, go with Romney/Ryan.

I think our taxes should go into building infrastructure, research, caring for our citizens and sane defense. I'll go with Obama/Biden.

If the GOP wins the presidency and the Senate, it will be right back on the table. That's what Americans need to know;

they need to know that the Republicans will say anything to get elected, but we already know what they really want, based on how they voted on the original Medicare-killing bill,

and based on the fact that Romney has said in the past that he would have signed it.

Of course it will.

Obama did make some pretty fundamental changes to Medicare..and where it was scored to be "bankrupt" in 2016..now thanks to the changes..it's scored to be "bankrupt" in 2024.

Was it magic? Nope.

Unfortunately for the private sector..those efficiencies cost them big. It stopped the flow of government dollars.

Look...you may not agree with Ryans plan....but he was bold enough to present it...he did not worry about what was politically expedient. He knows there is an issue and he put his career on the line with a viable solution. Is it a solution that will be economically BEST for the American people as it pertains to senior caqre down the road? No. Of course not. There can NOT be a plan like that for the economically BEST plan for individuals is what put thew system on the road of disaster.

So he propsed a plan that will allow Americans to prepare....todays seniors...and all who will become seniors in the next ten years do not need to worry. Ryan is well aware that they have no time to prepare...so nothing will change for them.

Those that are 45-54 are the ones that will hurt the most...for they have little time to prepare.....but someone is going to have to tkae a hit.

Now...all that being said....we all know Obamas desire.,..he wants a single payer system for all through life.....I applaud the idea....but I dont necessarily think it is a good one....but those that say they want it are bold and deserve an applause.

But Obama is showing he is more wrapped up in his political career than he is in solving problems. He should go out there and say "my plan is a single payer system from the day you are born to the day you die." But he knows he will lose many independents with that...

So criticize ryans plan all you want....but at least he had the balls to present one.

Put some thought into this. Who is better for our country right now..one with the balls to present a plan...or one with no balls at all?

What's bold about it?

What would be bold would be if Ryan took a stand against defense spending. He doesn't. He wants to increase it.

And if you think this sort of spending is good for that nation, go with Romney/Ryan.

I think our taxes should go into building infrastructure, research, caring for our citizens and sane defense. I'll go with Obama/Biden.

Please tell me how it is throwing granny down the stairs. You said it now back it up.
Show me what you DONT know.
I am waiting.

Why the Senate hasn't passed a budget

Republicans have relentlessly harangued the Senate's Democratic leadership for failing to pass a budget resolution. "1,000 days without a budget," was the title of a typical missive last month. On the weekend Jack Lew, who has just been named Barack Obama's chief of staff after serving as his budget director, defended the Senate by saying it couldn't pass a budget without 60 votes, i.e. without the cooperation of some Republicans. Republicans jumped on Mr Lew, pointing out that under Congress' budget procedure, a budget resolution cannot be filibustered and thus only needs a simple majority vote - typically 51 votes - to pass. Glenn Kessler, The Washington Post's fact checker, awarded Mr Lew four Pinocchios, the top score, for fibbing.

In fact, Mr Lew, while wrong on the narrow wording, is right on the substance. It is true that the Senate can pass a budget resolution with a simple majority vote. But for that budget resolution to take effect, it must have either the cooperation of the house, or at least 60 votes in the Senate. Only someone intimately familiar with Parliamentary procedure can explain this. Jim Horney of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is such a person. The following are his edited remarks from our email conversation:

DETAILS: Parliamentary procedure: Why the Senate hasn't passed a budget | The Economist

Those darn GOP obstructionists won't cooperate, eh?

Senate rejects Obama budget in 99-0 vote - The Hill's Floor Action

The idiots that support Obama and the left clearly hope everyone else is as stupid as they are so they can get by on these asinine lies.....

Its true that he hasn't done much other than line his own pockets. But, that's okay because he filibustered zillions of bills.

Including the farm bill to help farmers get through this drought.

What a guy.

How often are you going to repeat this blatant lie, Dudley??I posrted the link to opensecrets in another thread where you accused Ryan of the same shit.

You're a liar and a hack!

Incredible.

The Democrats admit that Medicare needs to be changed. But they scream about "ending Medicare as we know it." Well, that's what change is. If the Democrats change Medicare in their way, they're also "ending Medicare as we know it."

My head is about to explode. This is madness. I think I'll go to the office now.

Was it magic? Nope.

Medicare has always been headed for bankruptcy ever since it was begun. That's why the program is modified at regular intervals to reset the bankruptcy date further into the future.
Social Security was a year away from insolvency in 1983. It wasn't ended; it was fixed.

When these programs need to be adjusted for solvency's sake, you adjust them. You don't kill them...

...unless of course you're an ideologically opposed to programs like Medicare and SS in the first place.

There no bottom line accountability and it's it everyone interest to try to jack up cost as much as possible.

Not anymore, Frankie. That's the point of reforming Medicare. Providers are now assuming accountability for patient populations and their financial incentives are being realigned to encourage high-value care, not just high-volume care. Better care, slower cost growth. Win-win.

Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) | Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation
Shared Savings Program | Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

ACO? You need to add a whole new bureaucracy? Yeah, that's gotta work! that's the only solution, more and bigger government!

What's bold about it?

Please tell me how it is throwing granny down the stairs. You said it now back it up.
I am waiting.

Moving seniors from the public sector to private sector insurance..is throwing granny down the stairs..period.

No private insurance company in it's right mind will take on seniors.

This was the problem with health care prior to medicare. Which is why we have medicare.

Social programs didn't come to exist because somebody said "Wow..lets figure out a way to add cost to the government". They came about to address social issues.

I'm surprised you didn't see the "proof of concept" with the Ryan plan in Arizona...when Jan Brewer killed 2 Americans, by withholding funding on their operations.

There were no Republicans rushing to save those people. You know..like with Schiavo..they let them die.

That's the Ryan plan.

Incredible.

Was it magic? Nope.

If the liberal Democrats were serious about this or any problem, then instead of engaging in the typical knee-jerk reaction of attacking Ryan and his budget plans (especially the Medicare portions), they MIGHT try to sit down with him and others who supported the Ryan budget to FINE TUNE it.

It is so dishonest of the liberal Democratics to constantly bray that the "other side will not compromise" when the truth is that they are the ones who don't even attempt to negotiate in good faith.

I have a newsflash for you. Negotiating with the GOP does NOT consist of offering "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT" proposals which do not amount to any compromise at all.

There IS room to tinker, you fucking asshats. If a fix for the broken Medicare system INCLUDES a move to privatize it, then let's DISCUSS that. Privatize it or privatize it in part. But if your notion of "negotiating" is to flatly reject ANY such proposal, then you aren't compromising, you aren't even trying. You aren't negotiating, either.

If you idiots were on the other side of a table from me and tried that shit, I have news for you. You'd soon learn that it really DOES take two to Tango. I would then proceed to flatly reject YOUR proposals, too. You reap what you sew.

And if there's no room in your tiny minds for negotiation or compromise, then the only available course is to reveal you for what you are and defeat you roundly and soundly at the polls. You GOT the hints pretty loudly back in 2010. But you STILL refuse to learn.

This is why you are going to get defeated in November in the race for the White House, in the House and even in the Senate races.

Was it magic? Nope.

Medicare has always been headed for bankruptcy ever since it was begun. That's why the program is modified at regular intervals to reset the bankruptcy date further into the future.
Social Security was a year away from insolvency in 1983. It wasn't ended; it was fixed.

When these programs need to be adjusted for solvency's sake, you adjust them. You don't kill them...

...unless of course you're an ideologically opposed to programs like Medicare and SS in the first place.

And if you were paying attention you would be well aware that Ryans plan does not kill medicare. It adjusts it so that it can be self sustaining and not be on the verge of bankruptcy every 10 years.

Will it cost each individual more money? Sure. Thats a no brainer. But it is still a an efficient plan that can prove to be in the best interest of America.

What's bold about it?

I am waiting.

Moving seniors from the public sector to private sector insurance..is throwing granny down the stairs..period.

This was the problem with health care prior to medicare. Which is why we have medicare.

Social programs didn't come to exist because somebody said "Wow..lets figure out a way to add cost to the government". They came about to address social issues.

I'm surprised you didn't see the "proof of concept" with the Ryan plan in Arizona...when Jan Brewer killed 2 Americans, by withholding funding on their operations.

There were no Republicans rushing to save those people. You know..like with Schiavo..they let them die.

That's the Ryan plan.
that's the truth about how and why medicare was formed, insurance companies refused to cover the elderly.

Was it magic? Nope.

If the liberal Democrats were serious about this or any problem, then instead of engaging in the typical knee-jerk reaction of attacking Ryan and his budget plans (especially the Medicare portions), they MIGHT try to sit down with him and others who supported the Ryan budget to FINE TUNE it.

It is so dishonest of the liberal Democratics to constantly bray that the "other side will not compromise" when the truth is that they are the ones who don't even attempt to negotiate in good faith.

I have a newsflash for you. Negotiating with the GOP does NOT consist of offering "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT" proposals which do not amount to any compromise at all.

There IS room to tinker, you fucking asshats. If a fix for the broken Medicare system INCLUDES a move to privatize it, then let's DISCUSS that. Privatize it or privatize it in part. But if your notion of "negotiating" is to flatly reject ANY such proposal, then you aren't compromising, you aren't even trying. You aren't negotiating, either.

If you idiots were on the other side of a table from me and tried that shit, I have news for you. You'd soon learn that it really DOES take two to Tango. I would then proceed to flatly reject YOUR proposals, too. You reap what you sew.

And if there's no room in your tiny minds for negotiation or compromise, then the only available course is to reveal you for what you are and defeat you roundly and soundly at the polls. You GOT the hints pretty loudly back in 2010. But you STILL refuse to learn.

This is why you are going to get defeated in November in the race for the White House, in the House and even in the Senate races.

the party is now headed up by the following:

Obama who lied when he said that Ryuan is holdiung up the farmers bill....Ryan heloped pass it.
Pelosi who lied when she claimed the CIA lied to her (without proof)
Reid who said that Romney has not paid taxes in 10 years (without proof)
Wasserman Shultz who lied when she said that she had no idea of the political ideology of the super pac that is headed up by Bill Burton.
Holder who lied to congress when he said he first heard about Fast and Furious "a few weeks ago"

Sure...their loyal base will stick with them.....but the independants are going to see what they are all about....and run away from them.

Was it magic? Nope.

What's bold about it?

What part of "those 55 and older will not be affected" did ewe not understand asswipe?

What's bold about it?

What part of "those 55 and older will not be affected" did ewe not understand asswipe?

All of it, evidently.

His rhetoric here is beyond silly. It's dishonest.

What's bold about it?

I am waiting.

Wrong. It offers them the opportunity to move to the priovate sector. They can stay with medicare if they wish.

That will be their choice. Granny can stay with medicare then.

That's the Ryan plan.

My responses in red.....

I dont need to respond to the rest becuase the rest is based on a false premise that the seniors will be fordced into the private sector

You see...you doint understand Ryans plan. WHy? Becuase the party you support does not want you to.

What's bold about it?

what part of all those under 55 that you don't understand willow? All those people under 55 when they are 65 or 70 years old, being thrown under the bus? I'm sorry but you are just too too too selfish to understand that....

The estimate is nearly $6000 a year more out of pocket per person expense for those people in added costs with less health care coverage....

I know, I know....YOU already GOT yours granny, and that's ALL that matters....:eusa_hand:

What's bold about it?

All of it, evidently.

His rhetoric here is beyond silly. It's dishonest.

I dont blame him. His party of choiuce does not want him to know the truth...and they are successfully masking the truth.

And if you were paying attention you would be well aware that Ryans plan does not kill medicare. It adjusts it so that it can be self sustaining and not be on the verge of bankruptcy every 10 years.

Will it cost each individual more money? Sure. Thats a no brainer. But it is still a an efficient plan that can prove to be in the best interest of America.

Turning Medicare into a voucher program ends Medicare as we know it. It would be as if all the public schools were shut down and everyone with kids was given a voucher to pay towards private school.

Would that end public school? Yes. Will a voucher plan end Medicare? Yes.

Forum List

Back