Nobody is perfect?

often the phrase is an excuse for bad behavior. In children we may excuse a mistake if we feel the child takes it too serious [sic]...

"Seriously"

The phrase is also used by adults when attempting to excuse failure or bad behavior.

I will probably disagree with where you are going .... but often the phrase is an excuse for bad behavior. In children we may excuse a mistake if we feel the child takes it too serious, and say no one is perfect but.... For adults the phrase comes to be a meaningless cliche. Having managed large IT systems, if someone told me after a serious problem, 'no one is perfect' I may scream and I am a calm person. lol
I work in IT as well so I agree. You develop processes to avoid errors, test, refine your process and test again in a ongoing loop. Eventually you will hit perfection. The imperfection comes when you ignore that process or miss a step.

and someone smarter or with more determination will find a way around your 'perfection'. There will eventually be something more perfect created by someone else in the future. Some improvement, something better
You cant get more perfect than perfection. You may have a different idea as to what that entails but that doesnt really mean much.

If you were perfect, why do you care what others think or say? Why you have to try so hard to convince others to think as you do? Why do you even need to be on the computer or use machinery of any kind? Why do you need clothes or food? Why do you crave to love or have any feeling at all? Why do you like this but not that?

So what exactly does perfection look like to you and how will you know if we ever reach that point? What will there be after perfection? What would be our purpose for existence? What would be the purpose of the universe? What would be the purpose if a god?

The only perfection is the absolute absence of everything.

The very idea that god exists and acts means he is not perfect. Giving a god emotions like love or anger is making him imperfect. Giving him a need to create makes him imperfect. The very fact that we are not already aware of what his words, demands, religion, etc., are makes him imperfect. We should not need a book or for someone else to tell us what he expects from us. We should not need any outside form of communication that can be distorted or misunderstood.

Even is we were gods, we would be in some form of competition and conflict with each other and with god.

So no there is no perfection, now or ever. There is no perfect god.

There might be some force out there that we in our small imaginations might perceive as god, but it is not perfect, just more evolved that we are. As long as we give it human attributes it can never be perfect to us. Even pure energy, as we understand it, has it's opposite so that is not not perfection either.
Perfection is defined as having no flaws to put it simply. One would have to consider themselves flawed in order to feel themselves imperfect. By its very definition the term perfection is subjective. I may think your eyes are a disaster area and someone else may think they are perfect.

Perfection would mean the end of evolution. There would be nothing beyond that. The universe is not perfect so why should you presume humans can ever be?

If god created us with flaws, how can he expect perfection from us?

If the universe has limits then there is no true infinity. We might try for the perfection but as long as limits exist there will never be anything close to perfection.

We were not perfect when we first stood on two legs and if mankind still exists in a million years we will not have reach perfection then either.

As long as we have needs and desires; a long we strive to be better; as long we have feel love and pain; as long we have have birth and death we cannot be perfect no matter how hard we try. No god should expect us to be perfect. We are not gods.

Let's imagine that I have created a religion that only has one rule. That rule is, "Never murder human beings".

Could you be perfect in that regard? Most people could maintain that level of perfection for life.

if you have to set rules then your creations are not and will never be perfect.

Perfection would mean the end of evolution. There would be nothing beyond that. The universe is not perfect so why should you presume humans can ever be?

If god created us with flaws, how can he expect perfection from us?

If the universe has limits then there is no true infinity. We might try for the perfection but as long as limits exist there will never be anything close to perfection.

We were not perfect when we first stood on two legs and if mankind still exists in a million years we will not have reach perfection then either.

As long as we have needs and desires; a long we strive to be better; as long we have feel love and pain; as long we have have birth and death we cannot be perfect no matter how hard we try. No god should expect us to be perfect. We are not gods.

Let's imagine that I have created a religion that only has one rule. That rule is, "Never murder human beings".

Could you be perfect in that regard? Most people could maintain that level of perfection for life.

if you have to set rules then your creations are not and will never be perfect.
Where is that written?

Christ was perfect. I have always believed mathematics is the most direct reflection we have today of the face and mind of God.

If death and illness are god's will, why did he heal or raise the dead?
If he was perfect, why was his body able to be killed?
If he was perfect, why did he disobey his parents?
If you read other tales of his life as a child, why did he lie or kill if he was so perfect?
If he was so perfect, why did he require others to die or kill in his name?

If you are not perfect, why do you pretend you can comprehend - much less judge - God's plan? All this would be better suited to the Religion forum.

I disagree. Again perfection and what it entails may be the point of disagreement. God, or religions concept of god, is a fable. The real god made us perfect and expects nothing from us. Maybe we should get a consensus on what perfection means before continuing this.

Perfect is the concept of doing everything completely correct without error. I think people are adding nouns to the concept unaware. They are thinking in their head, perfect Christian, perfect American citizen or perfect employee.

I think perfection can be applied to any concept that has standards. For the purpose I was searching was in matter of a tradesman or employee. If we teach ourselves that "nobody is perfect" by a Christian standard then that can alter the standard we set for ourselves in a professional capacity. Filing 1,000 perfect tax returns is more realistic than following an all encompassing ethical system that reaches into ever facet of life. I just think telling yourself that you can't be perfect could possibly be limiting. Believing that nobody is perfect can also give you an ability to cope with reality which could make the philosophy beneficial.

The question that I am trying to inspire is this: Is it harmful or useful to believe that nobody is perfect?

Christ was perfect. I have always believed mathematics is the most direct reflection we have today of the face and mind of God.

If death and illness are god's will, why did he heal or raise the dead?
If he was perfect, why was his body able to be killed?
If he was perfect, why did he disobey his parents?
If you read other tales of his life as a child, why did he lie or kill if he was so perfect?
If he was so perfect, why did he require others to die or kill in his name?

If you are not perfect, why do you pretend you can comprehend - much less judge - God's plan? All this would be better suited to the Religion forum.

There is a plan? It's a lousy one from my perspective. Good, bad, judgement, punishment, life death.............
Evolution over billions of years and we are still highly flawed?
More like everything is a just an accident of random atoms in some universal game of pinball, until they destroy themselves.
If perfection is so far beyond us, be it thousands of years ago or a million years from now, how can we even consider that such a thing exists? If it is so far beyond us but without it we cannot reach heaven then what is the point? What is it that we as a race are striving for so hard to achieve what is impossible?

I would never presume to be perfect and don't expect others to be. Society has set certain standards that help us function but they are not perfect, just better than absolute chaos and anarchy. Some things are more right than wrong for us to function. We have as yet not exterminated ourselves. We have as yet not blown up our planet. We don't even now when we will die or if there will be a tomorrow. We might die in out sleep. There is no assurance of an after life. No blueprint of what perfection will look like. The best we can do is try to avoid pain either to others or ourselves, but that does not mean we will ever achieve it, so we try to cause the least pain for the most people, especially those we are flowed enough to have emotions for.

We have created the rules we live by, not some god in a piece if stone. God is man made motivation to make us move forward rather than running in circles and never getting anywhere. It is the idea that as we evolve, we are doing so to become something better. Maybe we are moving farther away from perfection instead of closer. As long as life and death exist in any life form, there can not be perfection. We will always be killing something to survive, even each other at time. We will always be building or destroying something rather than accepting anything as perfect. We will always have desires and needs. As long as we try to control others there will always be conflict. As long as there is life there will be struggle and death. Nothing can be perfect, there will always be change.

I disagree. Again perfection and what it entails may be the point of disagreement. God, or religions concept of god, is a fable. The real god made us perfect and expects nothing from us. Maybe we should get a consensus on what perfection means before continuing this.

Perfect is the concept of doing everything completely correct without error. I think people are adding nouns to the concept unaware. They are thinking in their head, perfect Christian, perfect American citizen or perfect employee.

I think perfection can be applied to any concept that has standards. For the purpose I was searching was in matter of a tradesman or employee. If we teach ourselves that "nobody is perfect" by a Christian standard then that can alter the standard we set for ourselves in a professional capacity. Filing 1,000 perfect tax returns is more realistic than following an all encompassing ethical system that reaches into ever facet of life. I just think telling yourself that you can't be perfect could possibly be limiting. Believing that nobody is perfect can also give you an ability to cope with reality which could make the philosophy beneficial.

The question that I am trying to inspire is this: Is it harmful or useful to believe that nobody is perfect?

Perhaps if we stop striving form perfection and accept us as we are? Perhaps if we strive to do the least harm to ourselves or others? Perhaps if we see others, other life forms, has having as much right to exist as we do?

but perfect? no, never.

We can always strive to be better, but never perfect. When we love all life as much as we love ourselves we might be as close to perfect as we can be. Every insect and blade of grass...........
Maybe we are the disease on the planet and not the end result. Maybe we are the most imperfect thing here? Maybe some life form that will exist after the next extinction by some comet but will be the perfection? Why do we have the presumption to think we can or should ever be perfect? Why do we have the resumption to thing god created us in his image? Why do we have the presumption to thing a god, if there is one, would even acknowledge our existence in any way?

Harmful. Its possible to reach perfection. There is no reason to cast a negative light on imperfection. Everything is a process and until you hit perfection you are in that process and doing something positive.

There is a plan? It's a lousy one from my perspective. ....

To a flea sitting on one flake of paint, the Mona Lisa might not look like much either, but...

who ever said the mona lisa was perfect? admirable,even mesmerizing but not perfect. It is not even complete

Exactly. Consider how much more complex, beautiful and awesome is God.

if there is a god of some kind, that does not make him perfect, just something beyond what we understand yet. We might have seemed like gods to primitive man. We might be viewed as all knowing to a cave man. We might have been seen as a miracle worker to early healers or priests.
We are still fascinated with illusionists till be understand how they work. We still struggle with optical illusions even if we know they are simple pencil drawings or shadows.

Just because we don't fully understand something does not mean there is a god.

To a flea sitting on one flake of paint, the Mona Lisa might not look like much either, but...

who ever said the mona lisa was perfect? admirable,even mesmerizing but not perfect. It is not even complete

if there is a god of some kind, that does not make him perfect, just something beyond what we understand yet. We might have seemed like gods to primitive man. We might be viewed as all knowing to a cave man. We might have been seen as a miracle worker to early healers or priests.
We are still fascinated with illusionists till be understand how they work. We still struggle with optical illusions even if we know they are simple pencil drawings or shadows.

You apparently can't even understand the concept. Lots of atheists share your limitation.

You apparently can't even understand the concept. Lots of atheists share your limitation.

I have a good understanding of religion and belief. I just have no proof of any god or religion being superior.
I am not ready to suspend all logic and reason for some magical being that no one has seen.
Gods and religion have changed. If there is something I will be pleasantly surprised when I meet it............till then I will question and learn and use my 'god'/nature given mind for myself and no rely on others telling me some fantasy story is truth.

I love stories of trolls and dragons but that does not mean they are real. I can imagine a world of them but that is not prove they exist. A can develop my own characters but that does no mean they are living breathing people.

I try not to confuse fiction with fact

I have a good understanding of religion and belief.

Apparently not.

Understanding belief and believing are not the same thing

I don't have to be insane to understand insanity, it's causes or it's cures.

You can study theology, religion and anthropology and not believe in a god that others believe in, or any god.

I am not going to put on blinders and step off a cliff to prove a belief in a god.

Forum List

Back