No veils in France

Spot the difference, USMB. Where's Walid?

burka.jpg

No one has explained yet how a man telling women they cannot wear burkas is being any less oppressive than a man who tells them they must wear burkas.

First you'll have to explain how "a man telling women they cannot wear burkas" is an accurate characterization of this law.
So, not only are you a Cafeteria Catholic, you are also a Cafeteria Libertarian.

No one has explained yet how a man telling women they cannot wear burkas is being any less oppressive than a man who tells them they must wear burkas.

First you'll have to explain how "a man telling women they cannot wear burkas" is an accurate characterization of this law.
So, not only are you a Cafeteria Catholic, you are also a Cafeteria Libertarian.

Don't you normally use :cuckoo: when you want to sidestep something Ang?

It was a simple request.

No need for personal attacks, that is, if you have an answer.

The French government claims that it is a security issue.

Yet, not one single felony related crime has ever been committed by a woman wearing a burka in France.

Except for Muslim women, in the US in most locals it is ILLEGAL to wear a mask covering your face with out a legal or medical requirement. Exception being Halloween.

bullshit

Go ahead wear a mask for no reason every where you go one day and see what happens.

FRANCE 24 - 1,900 women affected by France

Now 1.900 women have to be the victim so Sarkozy increases his chances to survive 1st round.
He is trying to fish in LePen's aquarium.

That is exactly what he is doing. But he is only a reflection of France's long history of xenophobia.

Fear of Buddhism?
No, fear of Gypsies, Muslims and different ethnic and religious groups. Le Pen was a tin pot Fascist even before Islamic immigration hit the headlines, he only exists by preaching hate and violence and is far worse than the Islamic radicals he preaches against. :rolleyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lI7RP7GqMU"]YouTube - The Unwanted : the most peaceful, the Gypsy in the libertyless France[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly what he is doing. But he is only a reflection of France's long history of xenophobia.

Fear of Buddhism?
No, fear of Gypsies, Muslims and different ethnic and religious groups. Le Pen was a tin pot Fascist even before Islamic immigration hit the headlines, he only exists by preaching hate and violence and is far worse than the Islamic radicals he preaches against. :rolleyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lI7RP7GqMU"]YouTube - The Unwanted : the most peaceful, the Gypsy in the libertyless France[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgTP2aKBO_0&feature=related]YouTube - Discrimination Against Roma Muslims of Europe[/ame]

Yeah, I know Le Pen. An ex girlfriend of mine used to be a huuuuge Le Pen supporter, and that was 20 years ago.

It was a simple request.

No need for personal attacks, that is, if you have an answer.

In 2009 Sarkozy made a statement announcing that the burka was not welcome in France. He did not initiate the legislation that has led to the banning the wearing of veils in public places but he soon took up the cause. As ekrem says, he is fishing in Le Pen's aquarium. He sees this as way to cash in on France's deep seated anti immigrant sentiment.

As a libertarian, how can you justify such a law?

In 2009 Sarkozy made a statement announcing that the burka was not welcome in France. He did not initiate the legislation that has led to the banning the wearing of veils in public places but he soon took up the cause. As ekrem says, he is fishing in Le Pen's aquarium. He sees this as way to cash in on France's deep seated anti immigrant sentiment.

As a libertarian, how can you justify such a law?

I'm not convinced that it is justified. And likewise, I'm not convinced that it isn't.

But it still doesn't fit your characterization that it's sexist oppression of women, anymore than forcing women to cover their vag in public is sexist oppression.

And regardless, the law is no more 'draconian' than laws that ban smoking in bars and restaurants.

PS: I find it interesting that you see me as a libertarian. Not particularly bothersome mind you, but I feel obligated to inform you that I do not self-identify as a libertarian and have never registered libertarian.

In the north during the winter months.

You see people wearing ski masks everywhere you go. :cool:
Yes, but you don't refuse to take it off, or try to get away with it at the DMV. No. It is like a hat. Removable upon request and there are no religious implications or social implications beyond trying to keep from getting frostbite.

The equivalency fails so bad.

Next you'll try to claim surgeons shouldn't wear masks while trying to save your life. Or painters should not be protected from the fumes of the product they work with.

By making such arguments to excuse an obsolete custom obeyed only by religious radicals and (in the case of ski masks out of season) criminals... you've effectively eviscerated your entire argument's credibility.

Last edited:
By making such arguments to excuse an obsolete custom obeyed only by religious radicals and (in the case of ski masks out of season) criminals... you've effectively eviscerated your entire argument's credibility.

Incorrect

Wearing the veil is not an obsolete custom.

Hundreds of millions of Muslim women wear it everyday in various countries around the world.

In the city that I live in here in America.

I see dozens of Muslim women wearing the veil everyday. :cool:

In the north during the winter months.

You see people wearing ski masks everywhere you go. :cool:

And if you ask them to remove said covering ...they don't go all offended ballistic blow them selves up nut case jihad crazy either.

Incorrect

Wearing the veil is not an obsolete custom.

Hundreds of millions of Muslim women wear it everyday in various countries around the world.

In the city that I live in here in America.

I see dozens of Muslim women wearing the veil everyday. :cool:
I live in a major metropolitan area and work in the downtown as well as slums and suburbs. we have a very large muslim population. I have not ONCE seen a Burkah or veil. I've seen hundreds of headscarves and Hijabs that do not cover the face. I go through an area nicknamed "Little Mogadishu" from it's high somali muslim population. Never saw one once.

Sorry, you still has a fail.

Forum List

Back