No food stamps for any family of a striking worker

Sounds good to me. Union members pay dues which should be used to compensate them during strikes (as long as the strikes are legal). There is no reason why taxpayers should be footing the bill for them to protest for more money.

If I were a non union employee and I wanted more money.....I would quit if they said no....and I have news for everyone of you guys arguing otherwise...If I deserved a raise, I would get it.

Companies do not let good people walk out over money...unless they are asking for more than their value.

And when they do? The companies lose.

Conservatives have always needed "scapegoats" to bear the burden for their failed policies -in America that's the poor, unions, striking workers and Wisconsin teachers.

It was conservative failed policies that created a serious deficit in Wisconsin?

Wow.....You just showed how little YOU know.

Leftists think that food stamps and welfare checks stimulate the ecomony

I believe paychecks would do a better job

So, in turn you attack middle class workers to the point where they have to go on food stamps?

Go on food stamps or even get another job. Create a job even.

What if you are in your 50s, and no one will hire you? And your job was outsourced, because the company can pay foreign workers less and then sell their product back to the US with little penalty.
Going after workers has created this environment, catering to corporations that out source their jobs is creating this environment and economy. There is no job to get, and why create a new business when no one has money to buy whatever you are selling?

You do know there are laws now that protect workers from sweat shops and such?
The unions did their job now it it time for them to leave as they are only a detriment to workers.

So you think workers are too stupid to know what is good for them?

Unions are merely groups of people working together.
You want to ban that ?

No, "unions" think workers are too stupid to know what is good for them.
And how are unions merely groups of people when the union is useually a seperate entity? And where the leaders get rich off of the union members through dues.
And the first amendment protects them so your last question is senseless.

Whether or not they're a "seperate" entity is irrelevant. They are still a group of people that are, as you said, protected by the implied freedom of association in the First.

Sounds good to me. Union members pay dues which should be used to compensate them during strikes (as long as the strikes are legal). There is no reason why taxpayers should be footing the bill for them to protest for more money.

More importantly, as contract negotiations come up, when there is a reasonable chance that there might be some level of irreconcilable disagreement between Union and Management, the Union Members should be putting money away in their own "war chests" just in case there is an actual strike.

Conservatives have always needed "scapegoats" to bear the burden for their failed policies -in America that's the poor, unions, striking workers and Wisconsin teachers.

It was conservative failed policies that created a serious deficit in Wisconsin?

Wow.....You just showed how little YOU know.

Was it teachers?

Nope.

But then again, I am not the one who caused the housing crisis, but my house lost value. I am not the one who created the recession, but my business and thus my income suffered.

Teachers have to suffer, just like I do....just like you do....just like all of us....

So your point is?

I wonder if you guys would have a problem with them cutting food stamps to the military?

I would have a problem with that and I would have a problem with them taking away food stamps. Food is essential to people and believe it or not many people on food stamps are on it legitimately. Most people are ashamed to be on it.

However, I don't think a person should be able to strike and go on food stamps (that is really what this is about).

I may have misunderstood, but I don't think this is about going on food stamps if you strike, but already being on food stamps because you are working poor and if you go on strike, they take those food stamps away.

You want to ban that ?

No, "unions" think workers are too stupid to know what is good for them.
And how are unions merely groups of people when the union is useually a seperate entity? And where the leaders get rich off of the union members through dues.
And the first amendment protects them so your last question is senseless.

Whether or not they're a "seperate" entity is irrelevant. They are still a group of people that are, as you said, protected by the implied freedom of association in the First.

It is not irrelevant when the union is more interested in keeping their power, and money, then in helping the actual workers.

I don't know, maybe because for every $1.00 that is spent, even more is pumped into the economy.!

Really? Why don't you explain to us how that works.

For every dollar spent on that program $1.73 is generated throughout the economy,
The bolded part is Diamond.
Food stamps offer best stimulus - study - Jan. 29, 2008

You believe that, and I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn..... it is wishy-wash math, and government speak....

If it were the case, everyone would have foodstamps given by government and we would be BOOMING... and probably debt free in no time

There is no expenditure that goes thru multi level bureaucratic government that comes out in the positive... PERIOD

So someone who refuses to work should be getting foodstamps? Why?

Heck, why do the Feds provide foodstamps anyway?

I don't know, maybe because for every $1.00 that is spent, even more is pumped into the economy.
I wonder if you guys would have a problem with them cutting food stamps to the military? You do realize many in the military are on food stamps?
God, forbid the poor try to stand up for themselves.
:clap2: Bravo, you guys should be so proud!

Fails to answer the question. Why shouldnt food stamps be a state issue? Why are the Feds involved at all?

And why should someone who has the ability but refuses to work recieve foodstamps? If we are going to have the program, shouldn't they go to those who are unable to work for whatever reason or who can't obtain employment despite trying or who work but are unable to make ends meet? Why do those who refuse, but who can, deserve foodstamps?

Why are you so eager to see government programs abused? Why do you want the Fed to exercise power they were never delegated as if there is no consequence to that kind of corruption of power? Why you insist that charity be outsourced to the government in the first place?

I was listening to a radio show yesterday, and one of the callers was just like the rest of you.

It is alright to pass laws limiting the rights of the people in the unlucky sperm club, but god forbid we pass any law in regards to the lucky sperm club. It is okay to tell a single mom what she can do with her life, but leave the CEO alone.

Become a CEO

Yeah, because that could really happen.
That is the problem with you republicans, you have this notion that maybe one day you will be rich. When in reality it probably will never happen and you screw yourself over by voting like you are.

Theses right wing policies is exactly why I will never join the republican aka the party that is screwing the american worker. I think it is terrible, but hey it was that union worker that crashed the market........... oh wait!

It's really not that difficult to become a CEO. I could be one tomorrow if I chose to.

I'm not real up on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Say if you're in a union and the union decides to go on strike. Don't you HAVE to stop working even if you don't want to?

Then dont join a union.

And why they keep going after the worker. They want us to work for nothing, with no rights.

You have the same right to apply for a good paying job as anyone else does.

What happens when you guys take away all the good paying jobs? That is the part you guys don't seem to understand.
You do understand that the economy does better when we have a strong middle class. Food stamps are not destroying the middle class, but you can keep telling yourself that.

What you don't seem to understand is that it's your policies and desires for overregulation and artificial labor and cost increases that are driving away all the good paying jobs.

So let people strike to force their employer to pay them enough to get off welfare.

What is in this bill is a plan to trap poor people into submitting to anything their employer wants

Maybe the unions could save enough money from their collections of dues to feed the workers while they strike, it's not the taxpayers job to feed people who have jobs and then choose not to work. let's feed the people who don't have jobs.. that sounds reasonable to me.

You have the same right to apply for a good paying job as anyone else does.

What happens when you guys take away all the good paying jobs? That is the part you guys don't seem to understand.
You do understand that the economy does better when we have a strong middle class. Food stamps are not destroying the middle class, but you can keep telling yourself that.

What you don't seem to understand is that it's your policies and desires for overregulation and artificial labor and cost increases that are driving away all the good paying jobs.

The jobs that are going overseas are the ones that can be done with cheaper labor. Those are not by definition good-paying jobs, by American standards. Low-skill manufacturing is leaving this country unless people here start accepting third-world living standards. That's the function of a global free market.

Then dont join a union.

In some cases that's not an option. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, where I work it's a Closed Shop. Union positions are NOT available to non-Union employees. To hold any overhead lines, underground lines, substation, meter reading, distribution engineering, operations support, dispatch, telecom, or relay position you MUST be a Union member in good standing. There are no exceptions. By the beginning of August the company will have over 16,000 Union employees and less than 5,000 Management employees (almost all in supervisory or management positions).

Of course you always have the option of looking for a different job, but if you want a job in one of those departments where I work, you don't have the option of not joining the Union.

When people give up control of their lives to others, they aren't stupid, but rather kept uninformed about important things in their life. If you let others tell you whats good for you or not, how would you ever know whats good for you on your own?

Are you honestly telling me that unions that strike and put the companies they work for out of business rather than accept reasonable pay, thereby putting themselves out of a job is really in their own best interests?

You want to ban that ?

Course not. If you want to foolishly give control over your life and career over to others, then that's your choice. But don't pretend that because you've assembled in a group that you can bully, intimidate, extort, etc. Nor pretend that you are somehow not responsible for the consequences of your actions.

If you want to strike for higher pay. More power to you. But the Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for you to eat while you do that. Nor should you be able to defraud the government out of pay like happened in Wisconsin when people would pretend to be sick.

You want to get strike for higher pay, fine. but at least be honest about it. stop pretending people owe you something. you're taking a risk and youll face the consequences whether positive or negative.

Forum List

Back